Anyone dealing with anger issues?

helloWorld

Established Member
I guess it's supposed to be common to get angry?

I say this because, I can't even remember the last time I have been angry, at anything. This entails work and personal life.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
my stress comes from a lack of work (like now) in my business, but anger comes from my kids playing the ignorant card when they have been taught and taught and taught the way to do things their mom and i expect of them.. im not talking about them making bad grades due to a learning disability (which none of them have), it's the typical "i dont care", "it's not my job", or an attitude of instant gratification without foresight on who it affects..

what do i do about it? drink, try to get away, spend more time at work, go to the gun range, walk the dog, wash my wife and i's cars, do laundry, etc.. we dont have the funds to buy a boat, camp, vacation home, etc and im certainly not going to start taking medication..

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I can't really tell if I have anger management issues, or just normal reactions to things that piss off most people.

Regardless, props to OP for realizing a potential issue, and asking for help, whether it be from a forum of anonymous people, or a professional. It takes real courage to do that, imho.

I'm with this guy...where do I draw the line of being impractical and legitimately upset. I feel like I'm allowed to get upset and voice my displeasure, as long as it's productive. However, I can think of only a few times, in the last few years, where I "snap" and regret what I say, or do. Personally, I'm working on my Emotional Intelligence so it's not as evident just by looking at my expression. This is harder than I could have imagined.

One caveat though is Houston drivers. Lord have mercy on my soul for the things I say and my gestures... It's mind boggling what I see on the road.

With that said, when I do some high intensity interval training, crossfit, or just plain busting my ass without much rest, I do get a nice euphoric feeling that really, really helps any and all anxiety, or stress I have from the day/week. My girlfriend also enjoys it as my "drive" goes through the roof.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Its the reason I work in the industry I do.

Long hours.. away from everybody. I can literally go a day or two without talking to anybody. ( Not texting as i do that for work) but actual conversation... i go days without that.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Little things bother me. I catch myself making a mental list of things that need to get done and if I don't get it done it bothers me. When little shit goes wrong it pisses me off too. I have Xanax which I take as needed. Smallest dose they offer I think. It takes the edge off of the anxiety I get that goes with it. Might have to try that tea you guys are talking about.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Thank you all for the comments and advice. Someone commented about my life not being where I wanted or such. This is sorta true. Honestly financially, I'm not where I want to be. I want more out of my career...it's not all about money, but money does help. I'm seeking a new employer, better pay, work culture. Everything else is great for the most part. No huge complaints.

I just need to work on the silly things that trigger my anger and sometimes anxiety, which leads to anger. it's tough some days, but I tell myself tomorrow is a new, brighter day.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Thank you all for the comments and advice. Someone commented about my life not being where I wanted or such. This is sorta true. Honestly financially, I'm not where I want to be. I want more out of my career...it's not all about money, but money does help. I'm seeking a new employer, better pay, work culture. Everything else is great for the most part. No huge complaints.

I just need to work on the silly things that trigger my anger and sometimes anxiety, which leads to anger. it's tough some days, but I tell myself tomorrow is a new, brighter day.

I, like several others, find that the gym is an excellent outlet. However, I tend to think the gym is a better outlet for stress relief. You might be able to exhaust yourself to the point you don't have the energy to act on being angry but I don't really think it will do anything to help you get an anger issue under control.

I think confidence plays a huge role in anger issues. I tend to find that people who lack confidence in themselves are much more prone to hit the panic button and go straight to anger...I also think we live in a society now that demonizes anger and the whole idea of getting angry. So instead of getting it out when it's nothing more than a little blow-up people internalize it until it explodes into massive bomb with horrendous consequences...Get mad, yell, get it out, move on...

IMO the best way to learn to control anger is to get punched in the face. I don't mean pick a fight with someone but rather take up boxing, MMA, standard martial arts, etc. Something in a controlled environment...If you can learn to take a punch in the face and keep your head the little triggers that you'll encounter in your daily life will be nothing...It doesn't even matter if you absolutely suck at it and never land the first punch. What's important is that it will teach you to control your anger because if you lose your cool in a ring and get out of your game-plan an opponent will waste you...But you learn to control yourself in the ring while under attack and that moron in traffic or the dumbass you work with will no longer phase you...

Zemedici

Established Member
I guess it's supposed to be common to get angry?

I say this because, I can't even remember the last time I have been angry, at anything. This entails work and personal life.

This, 150%. I cannot remember the last time I was legitimately irritated at something.

Zemedici

Established Member

The little things help, but solving the BIG things would benefit more. It seems you're unhappy with your professional status at the moment, I bet as soon as you change that it'll improve 100%. Just keep at it bud, you sound like a hard, diligent worker. Hard work pays off in the long run.

ssssnake

Established Member
Unfortunately, I come from a family of yellers. I would wake up to my father yelling about something, and my gut would knot up. My mother was a yeller too - the home I grew up in was not peaceful. I'm not using this as an excuse, but it did contribute to the habit. It followed me into adulthood. Everything pissed me off. It's a very hard habit to break. Smoking pot relaxed me, but I could still yell. I have a lot of anger now because my life is so screwed up. But, what seems to help, and I have to work on it every day, is meditating. I wake up in the quietness of the morning and try to spend at least 30 minutes in the Word. I read, I pray for myself and others, and open myself to spiritual direction. I'm not saying that all of a sudden, I never get angry or yell, but it does help. I know it's not the way I should be.
“Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.” Ecclesiastes 7:9 (KJV)

MG0h3

Established Member
Try and remember that somebody always has it way worse than you. Appreciate what you do have and what you can achieve.

nxhappy

Established Member
anger? ain't nobody got time for that ! Seriously though, just roll one up and smoke it. You will be happy, and sleep like a ****ing baby!

Users who are viewing this thread