Anyone DD a newer GTI?

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
I test drove a new GTI & was not impressed. No balls & interior was bleh.

The interior was bleh compared to what? All I ever hear is how the GTI's interior is leaps and bounds better than anything in its class and rivals the interiors of much more expensive cars. What was it that you didn't enjoy? I'm not too concerned with how much "balls" it has, if I'm disappointed there are plenty of remedies in that department however that shouldn't be much of a concern.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
The interior was bleh compared to what? All I ever hear is how the GTI's interior is leaps and bounds better than anything in its class and rivals the interiors of much more expensive cars. What was it that you didn't enjoy? I'm not too concerned with how much "balls" it has, if I'm disappointed there are plenty of remedies in that department however that shouldn't be much of a concern.

2013-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-Cabriolet-Dashboard.jpg

looks ok to me except the seat fabric is a flaming Paul Bunyon

2013-Ford-Focus-ST-interior-15.jpg.sthumbnails.504.378.png

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
My girl daily drives a 2010 GTI with the DSG gearbox. Great little car. Pretty darn quick for a 4-cylinder. No major issues.

^^^This.

The GTI interior is great for the price. I think it would look and feel more at home in an Audi, rather than a VW...

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
+1. The interior of my Jetta is great. Obviously it's only a mid $20's car, so it is not going to be over the top, but it rivals the interior of the '03 540i M-Sport that I traded for it. Some days I enjoy the Jetta interior even more than the BMW's. But this is just my personal opinion.

PureStang

Established Member
My dd (and only car currently) is a 2012GTI 6-speed bought new in February 2012 with 151 miles. Currently have 13000 miles on it and the only complaint I have is on minor bumps the door "vibrates." But i think i have something wrong with the weather stripping/seal on the door so I am having it taken in.

Other wise I like the car. I drive 50 miles a day, the 6 speed is stupid easy to shift (though the clutch could use a little firming up), seats are comfy (cloth), and the interior feels like something i would have had to pay $35k+ to get (i paid 24k out the door - sun/moonroof, touchscreen audio).

It may not be the fastest car ever, but it surely is fun and the gas is great...My vehicle average is 29mpg.

EDIT: i would caution the DSG as the higher miles the more problematic they get.

Last edited:

Kirk01

Established Member
Two of my friends dd the ~08 body style gti's. Fun cars but I wouldn't own one out of warranty. They both had multiple electrical problems :shrug:

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Thanks for all of the information guys. I am trying to find a bit of spare time to drive out to a VW dealer and take one for a spin. It seems like there is more good than bad with them so far.

Muzner

Established Member
I enjoyed mine, but like Kirk01 said, didn't want to keep it when it ran out of a warranty. Good luck with it!

MICLO50

got Liquid corn?
Established Member
I've owned a few GTi's with the most recent one being a 2011. All around u can't beat it for a DD. very comfortable ride, all the options u can ask for and has fairly decent power for a stock 2.0L turbo.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Continues to sound like a solid purchase. Thanks again everyone, any additional input is always welcome.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I just received a new motor trend or whatever in the mail that pitted the GTI against the ST.. For having 60 more horsepower, the ST beat the GTI in the 1/4 by less than a tenth.. I can't figure out why the GTI hangs so well with the ST. In the comparisons, the GTI won in almost every category, except horsepower and a few other less important ones. I'd go GTI anyday

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
I just received a new motor trend or whatever in the mail that pitted the GTI against the ST.. For having 60 more horsepower, the ST beat the GTI in the 1/4 by less than a tenth.. I can't figure out why the GTI hangs so well with the ST. In the comparisons, the GTI won in almost every category, except horsepower and a few other less important ones. I'd go GTI anyday

That's rather impressive, thanks for sharing! I'm sure the tuning abilities will be impressive for the ST giving it an advantage but stock for stock that's pretty outstanding on the GTIs part.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Definitely go drive one when you get the chance. Report back, too. I'd like to hear your opinion.

I certainly will, hopefully I'll make it out this weekend. I think my current DD is upset that I'm looking around as it failed to start today lol.

clbailey

Established Member
I feel like VW's are like kias and Hyundai's to me. Nice the day they leave the showroom but look at them 5-10 years later, all incredible pieces of crap.

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
The dsg makes the car stupid quicker 0-80. An only I.take dsg car beat my brothers catless do, stg 2 tune, intake 6speed by 2 cars until 80 where the 6speed flew by

Stupidity brought to you by Tapatalk

boatcop1

Established Member
Ever co sider the Mazda 3 with Skyactive? I have a MS3 and avg 29mpg. Fun cars and cheap. Just a thought.

YukonRally

Established Member
Always had a soft spot for the GTIs. Had an 03 that was lowered from a previous owner, drove like a go kart on steroids. Test drove an '11 with the 6 speed last year and loved it but didn't need a new car at the time, just wanted to take one out. Can't beat them in my opinion.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Ever co sider the Mazda 3 with Skyactive? I have a MS3 and avg 29mpg. Fun cars and cheap. Just a thought.

I used to DD a full bolt-on 09 MS3. It was a fun car and I do regret getting rid of it at times. However, I feel the GTI is of much better quality for roughly the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread