Anyone DD a newer GTI?

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
I have been toying with the idea of picking up a new DD and really have taken a liking to the 2012 VW GTI. It seems to be a nice little commuter car, with 34 mpg and a fantastic looking interior, it seems great. I know this will probably turn into a "buy a focus ST" thread but the Focus is far too boy racer IMO and the interior does nothing for me at all.

So if you've driven or drive a newer GTI, what are your thoughts and opinions? I am on multiple VW forums but they are biased believe it or not :).

First person to say "buy a ST" is a ****** :lol1:

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
They are great cars.... The new ones are timing chain motors and much more reliable, and will offer great DD duty.

Are you looking at the six speed or the DSG? It is a DD so I am not sure if you're interested in modding it but they are cheap to do so. An APR or similar chip nets decent gains and makes it quite the decent commuter/boy race car.

If you want something more on the mileage front with the VW interior and quality may I reccomend a TDI. They get FANTASTIC gas mileage, come in manual, and are also mod friendly and torquey to boot.

It is all about preference but I figured I would throw my experience with them and offer the TDI if you care about mileage with the VW looks. Good luck!

Oh, and buy a Focus ST! :D

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Buy an ST......

i....

Lol. In all seriousness my wife had a Jetta. HAD a Jetta. Was good up until 40k miles then had a throttle body go bad which was about 1800 to fix. Went bad again at 70k and again at 80k. Had a couple other problems. So you get the premium repair prices of a BMW or Benz...but without having a BMW of Benz. A buddy of mine has a GTI. It's held up pretty well. I've driven it a couple times and the handling is good but it just feels like it's missing something. I personally think the GTI doesn't look great. It's slow stock. MPG is pretty good but if that's what you're going for I'd get something else.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
They are great cars.... The new ones are timing chain motors and much more reliable, and will offer great DD duty.

Are you looking at the six speed or the DSG? It is a DD so I am not sure if you're interested in modding it but they are cheap to do so. An APR or similar chip nets decent gains and makes it quite the decent commuter/boy race car.

If you want something more on the mileage front with the VW interior and quality may I reccomend a TDI. They get FANTASTIC gas mileage, come in manual, and are also mod friendly and torquey to boot.

It is all about preference but I figured I would throw my experience with them and offer the TDI if you care about mileage with the VW looks. Good luck!

Oh, and buy a Focus ST! :D

Thanks for the quick and useful information. I really like the 2.0 platform in the GTI and I'm sure it would end up with minor bolt ons such as a tune and intake, nothing drastic though as it would be a DD. I would for sure be going with the DSG transmission as I've heard nothing but praise about it and I really enjoy my current DD being an automatic. I have looked into the TDI golf but continue to lean towards the GTI. I looked at the Golf R last weekend and loved it however it may be a bit much for DD activity, awd would be nice but I've already got a solution for bad weather which further reinforces selecting a GTI.

r2kool4u

Blah Blah
Established Member
I have a 2003 gti as a daily, my brother has an 07 gti, and my dad has a 2012 gti. No problems with any of them. And mine and my brothers are not stock.

Stupidity brought to you by Tapatalk

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Thanks for the quick and useful information. I really like the 2.0 platform in the GTI and I'm sure it would end up with minor bolt ons such as a tune and intake, nothing drastic though as it would be a DD. I would for sure be going with the DSG transmission as I've heard nothing but praise about it and I really enjoy my current DD being an automatic. I have looked into the TDI golf but continue to lean towards the GTI. I looked at the Golf R last weekend and loved it however it may be a bit much for DD activity, awd would be nice but I've already got a solution for bad weather which further reinforces selecting a GTI.

Good stuff man! US Spec Golf R's also only come in manual's which is a negative since you said you wanted a DSG. I am a gas mileage guy and when I get back to the US I definitely plan on buying a TDI Golf or Jetta Wagon with a manual as I love the room they provide on top of the fantastic gas mileage.

My only vote for the TDI over the GTI is nothing more than gas mileage. It is obviously slower and not as performance oriented, but a I am a hyper miler when it comes to having a DD and I fell in love with diesel cars in Europe so that is where my TDI over GTI bias comes from.

One thing to think about (not trying to sway you :D) Is that the GTI takes premium, another FYI just so your aware and something to think about.

Again, Good Luck! :beer:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
04 I think. I wouldn't mind getting a TDI. If the VW's can do one thing right it's the diesel.

To an extent. All of the newer VWs have small issues, gas or diesel. Some of the issues with the new TDIs can be devastatingly expensive to the average person.

Anyway, I'm biased toward the TDIs but the GTIs and GLIs are great cars and are obviously much more sporty. They seem to be quite reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to own one. A new car warranty makes it that much better.

Also, TDI Cup Edition FTW. Basically a diesel GLI. They're still really expensive though for being 3 model years old.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
To an extent. All of the newer VWs have small issues, gas or diesel. Some of the issues with the new TDIs can be devastatingly expensive to the average person.

Anyway, I'm biased toward the TDIs but the GTIs and GLIs are great cars and are obviously much more sporty. They seem to be quite reliable and I wouldn't hesitate to own one. A new car warranty makes it that much better.

Also, TDI Cup Edition FTW. Basically a diesel GLI. They're still really expensive though for being 3 model years old.

TDI's hold their value disgustingly well. It is annoying when looking for a used one.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
I have a 2010 white jetta TDI with 40k for 20,998 at my dealership :) good luck

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I had a 2006 GTI it was a fun car. Dsg trans was a blast pulling away from a stop light left people in the dust due to no lag. I did have to take it to dealer for the diverter valve going bad. Replaced it with the updated one bam back in action. Reflashed it so I had launch control.

Wish I kept it.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Thanks for all the information and reviews thus far, I really appreciate hearing real world experience. I hope to go drive a 2012 2dr with the DSG trans in the next week or two.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member

Plus hold their value very well. This would have been my suggestion too but sounds like OP wants the zippier GTI. Gotta hand it to VW though, the TDI is a much better car than I originally thought it could be.

Can't go wrong with the GTI though.

AAG

Established Member
My cousin has a '12 GLI dsg and its a blast to drive. The only thing that does suck is its a dog from a dig if you dont give it the right amount of throttle. It almost feels like it starts rolling in 2nd gear at times. Other than than that its a fun car to drive with the paddle shifters.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
My cousin has a '12 GLI dsg and its a blast to drive. The only thing that does suck is its a dog from a dig if you dont give it the right amount of throttle. It almost feels like it starts rolling in 2nd gear at times. Other than than that its a fun car to drive with the paddle shifters.

Shit put it in sports mode stop hold the brake and traction control than rev it up and it has a launch control built in.

That thing flies to 60 lol

Muzner

Established Member
I had a 2008 GTI with the DSG for about 3 years as a DD. I enjoyed the car, I got great gas mileage out of it.

The only issue I had with it was one of the headlights failing during that time period. Otherwise the car was in great mechanical shape by the time my lease was up.

Users who are viewing this thread