Anyone buy a Nintendo Switch yet?

Never_Enough

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting one, but looks like they are selling for well over MSRP so I can wait.

Anyone here have one yet? Interested in what you like and/or dislike about it.

It's this or an XBox one if I get anything. I don't know why I'm even thinking about it, though. I have my arcade cabinet that I built with MAME & thousands of old console & arcade games that I never use. :D

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I want one. I lucked out by waiting and got my classic edition at gamestop for msrp so im hoping on he same luck with the switch

Sladester2

Established Member
They are terrible IMO. Terrible build quality. Terrible gimmicks. Terrible hardware. Terrible game selection right now (besides Zelda). Wait a while if you want to get one or go for xbox 1.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I want it just for Zelda. I cant justify the price do play one game though. However i spent a lot more on building a custom gaming PC just to play a game from 2004.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The Switch is what the Wii U should have been. You can play Zelda while taking a crap. You have freedom of movement if you don't want to play on the television. Zelda and Zelda alone destroys the entire launch library of the Wii U and the upcoming releases look promising.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The system seems to have some issues now and the library is garbage, I would wait till closer to the end of the year to see if the games are worth it st the time.

I have been eyeing the WiiU just to play Bayonetta 2, but those POS systems are averaging $350+ new on eBay.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Your giving consideration to a failed console (for one game) yet want to avoid the Switch because its library is junk? o_O

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I got one the day after it came out. We got Zelda and Bomberman, and waiting for Mario Kart to get released. Being able to dock it for big screen TV play then pick it up and take in the car is really cool.

Zelda is hands down amazing.

The games are on SD cards, pretty cool.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
They are terrible IMO. Terrible build quality. Terrible gimmicks. Terrible hardware. Terrible game selection right now (besides Zelda). Wait a while if you want to get one or go for xbox 1.
+1 You cannot transfer saves to anything, no cloud nor SD cards. Reports of screen’s scratching when putting them on a dock, reports of joy cons disconnecting, reports of “Switch” dropping wifi signals. 32GB of storage space only and need to add additional SD cards for more storage space. Battery last about 4 hrs only when off the dock and only uses 60~% of its processing power. Its a terrible device overall, oh and want to buy accessories? Expect to pay an arm and leg for them. I wouldnt be surprised if this is Nintendos final system and they become a game developer company after this.

I wouldnt be surprised if phones in a year from now output better graphics with similar battery life.

I want it just for Zelda. I cant justify the price do play one game though. However i spent a lot more on building a custom gaming PC just to play a game from 2004.
Want it for Zelda only? Buy a used Wii U and buy the Zelda game. You’ll save yourself a ton of money and will have zero regrets not buying a Switch. Thats what im doing. There’s practically no difference between the games from both systems other than some color changes and a resolution bump from 720p to 900p LMAO!!!

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Reports of screen’s scratching when putting them on a dock, reports of joy cons disconnecting, reports of “Switch” dropping wifi signals. 32GB of storage space only and need to add additional SD cards for more storage space. Battery last about 4 hrs only when off the dock and only uses 60~% of its processing power.

I have none of these issues.

Exactly how long do you think my Samsung tablet lasts when it's unplugged and being used for games? 4 hours is pretty good battery life for a screen that size.

Its a terrible device overall.

According to whom?

Last edited:

blackbolt2003

Established Member
+1 You cannot transfer saves to anything, no cloud nor SD cards. Reports of screen’s scratching when putting them on a dock, reports of joy cons disconnecting, reports of “Switch” dropping wifi signals. 32GB of storage space only and need to add additional SD cards for more storage space. Battery last about 4 hrs only when off the dock and only uses 60~% of its processing power. Its a terrible device overall, oh and want to buy accessories? Expect to pay an arm and leg for them. I wouldnt be surprised if this is Nintendos final system and they become a game developer company after this.

I wouldnt be surprised if phones in a year from now output better graphics with similar battery life.

Want it for Zelda only? Buy a used Wii U and buy the Zelda game. You’ll save yourself a ton of money and will have zero regrets not buying a Switch. Thats what im doing. There’s practically no difference between the games from both systems other than some color changes and a resolution bump from 720p to 900p LMAO!!!

This system is brand new. When was the last time a console launched with 0 issues. They are sure to have some issues when they sell 1.5 million units in the first week. I have 2 switches and have had no screen scratches, joy cons have never desynched, wifi is great, and no need for more storage if you buy games on carts.

Zelda runs better in mobile mode right now so this 60% of CPU power off dock is crap. The game runs great in mobile mode and 4 hours of battery life is pretty darn good. How much battery life do you get on your phone or other mobile device playing games? The assumed user experience on paper, doesn't always coincide with the actual user experience.

The reality is Sony has already patented a design that will compete with the switch.

Even if phones output better graphics with more battery in the future, you are still playing the game on your phone...with touch screen controls. The switch has comfortable console controls.

I would argue it makes more sense to invest in a brand new console to play Zelda. E3 is going to amazing for Nintendo. They will announce many more first party titles and over 100 indy games are currently in development. This isn't Wii U 2.0....dev kits only cost $500. This will be the console devs want to make games for.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Please explain the complete illogical suggestion you offered.

Why would someone drop hundreds of dollars on a system that has been on life support for years and only recently had the plug pulled to officially complete the death? First party games are still as expensive as hell whether brand new (if you can find them) or on auctions where value is still held.

Edit: One must be a complete dufus if they can not insert the device into the holder w/o scratching it. An expensive device should be treated with care.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have none of these issues.

Exactly how long do you think my Samsung tablet lasts when it's unplugged and being used for games? 4 hours is pretty good battery life for a screen that size.
According to whom?
Depends on games, Zelda is said to run for only 3 hours. Remember as well, a tablet is like a PC, battery is being used for multiple tasks in the background aside from the games. A gaming handheld pretty much is using it for mainly one thing. It also has a 6.5~ inch screen so its really not a big screen with a 720P resolution, pretty sure a current Samsung tablet is running a least double it’s resolution on a bigger screen.

As far as those issues, those are the one’s being reported. I was keeping it real closely because I was interested and glad I cancelled my pre order. Dissappointed though.

This system is brand new. When was the last time a console launched with 0 issues. They are sure to have some issues when they sell 1.5 million units in the first week. I have 2 switches and have had no screen scratches, joy cons have never desynched, wifi is great, and no need for more storage if you buy games on carts.

Zelda runs better in mobile mode right now so this 60% of CPU power off dock is crap. The game runs great in mobile mode and 4 hours of battery life is pretty darn good. How much battery life do you get on your phone or other mobile device playing games? The assumed user experience on paper, doesn't always coincide with the actual user experience.

The reality is Sony has already patented a design that will compete with the switch.

Even if phones output better graphics with more battery in the future, you are still playing the game on your phone...with touch screen controls. The switch has comfortable console controls.

I would argue it makes more sense to invest in a brand new console to play Zelda. E3 is going to amazing for Nintendo. They will announce many more first party titles and over 100 indy games are currently in development. This isn't Wii U 2.0....dev kits only cost $500. This will be the console devs want to make games for.
Its already having trouble and having indie games being delayed that been out on other consoles for a while. Zelda can’t run properly at 30 FPS, and no, that whole running 60% off the dock isnt crap. You do realize when its running off the dock its only outputting at 720P.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...a-breath-of-the-wild-switch-vs-wii-u-face-off

Look, I wanted this console to succeed, I had mine pre-ordered before I canceled it. Lets not be blind here, its a new console thats more expensive than a PS4 or X1 with weaker internals. Sure you can say it has features that other 2 dont have but its also missing a ton of features that others do have at a more expensive price.

Far as devs wanting to make games for this console? How’d that work for Wii and Wii U? And im speaking as Wii owner myself…. 3rd party games? non existent…. Indie games? Already exist for other conoles with a better experience.

Far as mobile gaming on phones? Well, you can sync it to a bluetooth controller. Its been done with a PS3/PS4, no need to use the touch screen for it.

FYI, this is using pretty much the same processor as the Nvidia Shield TV thats $200. Funny thing, its actually a downclocked version of it. The Tegra X2 chip is almost out and IMO, Nintendo should’ve waitied for that chip instead, wouldve been MUCH better. Dont be actually surprised if you see re-version of it, ala Switch Pro lol

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Please explain the complete illogical suggestion you offered.

Why would someone drop hundreds of dollars on a system that has been on life support for years and only recently had the plug pulled to officially complete the death? First party games are still as expensive as hell whether brand new (if you can find them) or on auctions where value is still held.

Edit: One must be a complete dufus if they can not insert the device into the holder w/o scratching it. An expensive device should be treated with care.
They gave up on the Wii U pretty fast, what does that tell you about Nintendo? If the Switch sales drop in the upcoming months, do you really expect its support to continue strong?

You’re right on that, some people might actually be interested in other games but for me, im only interested in this game alone only. If history continues, there’ll be lil to no support for 3rd part devs and if there is, itll already be available for the other superior TV consoles. Im also not a big fan of handheld gaming, I hardly play games on my phone as is if anything its used for movies/shows more often at work.

At the moment, ive seen used Wii U’s for $200~ with 2 games and controls on Ebay. IMO thats not a bad pricing considering you said 1st party games are still expensive for it used or new.

Users who are viewing this thread