Anybody regret going to 4.10?

CrispyBacon

Established Member
I'm getting some pretty serious howl from the rearend and Im seriously thinking about going 4.10 maybe 3.90 when I get inside it. The car is only driven to "cruises" and events. Just looking for some feedback

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
mine is a daily driver. i love the 4.10s at the dragstrip because on the stock wheels/tires because i am right at about 6800 in 4th gear at the line.

but i think that it is juuuust a bit too high strung for regular highway driving. feels just a little bit like straining over like 80/85 mph when steady cruising.

so imo the 3.73s that i have in my vert seem to be an all-around better gear. but both are better than the stock 3.55s for my usage, and i think my 3.73s are better overall than 4.10s for regular driving on a 26" tire

3.90s might be good but i think only Richmond makes em

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
Loved my 4.10's as well except for highway driving as P4... mentioned. If I had to do it all over again, I don't know what I would do lol. I'd be afraid 3.73's wouldn't feel as great on the street and afraid 3.90's would have the same issue on the highway. I'd have to look at a rpm chart and see what the numbers would be on the highway. I recommend cruising at different rpms on the highway, record each 100th rpm, compare to a gear rpm chart and see what you're comfortable with.
If you don't drive on the highway, 4.10's all the way. One more thing, don't forget gas mileage will suffer.

CrispyBacon

Established Member
Car gets 5k miles a year if that. So gas mileage doesn't matter, also if I take the highway I cruise around 70, I've grown out of speeding just not racing

STREETREBEL

Established Member
4.10's are great! Lots of tire spin. 1st and 2nd come on quick. I think you will love it.
I drive mine on the hwy. all the time. Makes no different to me. Car will be quicker!

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd think about what your future intentions are with the car. My car is running 315 Nitto 555 DR and 1st is useless in all weather, second is useless in the cold but will hold decently when its warm. If I had 4.10's I probably wouldn't get traction until 3rd or 4th under any condition.

SlowSVT

Established Member
A Terminator motor won't even break a sweat lighting up the tires with 3.55 so the 4.10 will do with even less effort........that's a problem!

If you were drag racing with slicks, gears would make sense. On the street the Terminator makes such explosive low end grunt gears aren't really needed. The 3.55 are really well suited for this in the car on the street and makes the best "all around gear". Your money would be put to better use elsewhere.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Mine came with 4;10s when purchased 2 years ago, I drive about 1 1/2 hours to my tuners shop cruise control set at 80mph at around 2200-2500 rpms car is constantly pulling effortlessly. My rear end has a slight howl developing (I hate noises :nonono:) and I have been debating on swapping the gears as well, thinking about 3;73s? hoping I don't miss the pull of the 4;10s.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd think about what your future intentions are with the car. My car is running 315 Nitto 555 DR and 1st is useless in all weather, second is useless in the cold but will hold decently when its warm. If I had 4.10's I probably wouldn't get traction until 3rd or 4th under any condition.

Exactly my thinking as well. If it's warmer temps outside then I can get full traction in 2nd gear. First gear seems fast and already pretty short to me. If temps are 55* or colder I'm spinning 1st and 2nd gear with R888's. If my car was a track car then I'd consider steeper gears. Hell tonight I blew the tires off in 1st gear with 75* weather.

slvr10th

Established Member
Iv'e got 4.10 in my 450HP cobra with DR on the back and it is wicked on the street, car rolls through the rpm. Have raced several other cars with same HP range and it will yank them out of the hole.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Iv'e got 4.10 in my 450HP cobra with DR on the back and it is wicked on the street, car rolls through the rpm. Have raced several other cars with same HP range and it will yank them out of the hole.

Curious, do you spin at all in 1st gear? When I was at 455 rwhp with r888's out back I would dead hook in 1st gear with the stock 3:55 gears.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
I'm running 3.90's, T56, and I believe 70mph is right around 2600 rpm

I would NOT switch to any higher of a ratio though, just my preference. I run the 1/8th every now and then (no 1/4 mile here) and cross the line at around 6400ish

slvr10th

Established Member
Curious, do you spin at all in 1st gear? When I was at 455 rwhp with r888's out back I would dead hook in 1st gear with the stock 3:55 gears.

I've got Nitto drag radials on back and it hooks on 90% of the roads, depending on road conditions and how warm tires are.

caaron101

Established Member
I have had 410s in all my mustangs, 2 03 gts and my 03 cobra, I have rode in/ drove my friends 03 cobra with 373s and it just dosent wind up as quick, I don't daily drive my car but I do drive it about 3 days a week and on the highway all the time, it's not bad at all in 6th gear on the highway, it was way worse in my gts with only a 5th gear but if I had to do it over in any mustang i would do 410s again and not think twice about it, my cobra makes about 570 to the wheels with the whipple and with the m&h drag radials it hooks pretty well, 410s are the only gear for a mustang in my opinion. Do 410s and don't look back.

CrispyBacon

Established Member
Well I may go 3.90 just to find a happy medium. Seems like the either people love the gear or hate it. I've got 315 wide R888 out back and it dead hooks in first as long as the pavement is warm.

Users who are viewing this thread