Anybody go back to riding Motorcycles after a few year break?

NinjaBum

Established Member
Came damn close to buying either a Monster 821 or a Triumph Street Triple yesterday.

Least I went home in my car. Still may grab one or the other next week. I am not sure.

Test rode the 821 and it didn't feel too powerful to me. It would take getting used to again though. I was so worried I'd drop it when I was making u-turns and low speed turns. Crazy how you forget to do some things.

I've had a few older Ducs, a Daytona 600, and a Sportster 1200, but it's been probably 3 years or so since I have ridden. I was surprised how nervous and clumsy I felt. I guess it shouldn't be surprising considering this was my first time riding that 821 and had literally zero practice before taking it on the test ride.

Anybody else come back after a hiatus and feel the same way getting back in the saddle? How fast did the feelings of anxiety fade?

scott_0

Established Member
I sold my bike (2008 Triumph 675 Daytona) back in 2010 and I'm really missing it now, but my wife ain't feeling me getting another bike lol. if I do get another bike, it will be a Harley Sportster forty eight or another 600 class bike, dudes whine and complain they are boring, but I only ride/rode the twisties, I loved how you could go wot out of corners on the 600's

mcaligiuri

Established Member
I got a kawi 636 in the garage. Haven't rode in two years. Had another kid and lost my job a while back. Got a new job but just barely getting by. I wish I could just no $$

Kiohtee

Established Member
I sold my bike (2008 Triumph 675 Daytona) back in 2010 and I'm really missing it now, but my wife ain't feeling me getting another bike lol. if I do get another bike, it will be a Harley Sportster forty eight or another 600 class bike, dudes whine and complain they are boring, but I only ride/rode the twisties, I loved how you could go wot out of corners on the 600's

I really miss having a 600. I was living the dream when I had my R6S and Hayabusa simultaneously. Alas, I can still rocket my 'Busa around corners faster than anyone has business going on public roads, and that much faster down the straights. Plus it's as comfortable as riding gets without essentially driving a convertible (Honda Gold Wing, H-D Ultra, etc.).

Having said that OP, I'd say it's perfectly normal to feel sketchy after an absence like yours. Sometimes there's 10+ days between my last ride, and getting back on after that short of a time still requires a little riding before getting back into the swing of things. Just take it easy and if need be, practice in low volume parking lots or something of that nature.

Safe riding and good luck with your future purchase!

NinjaBum

Established Member
Thanks, yeah that's what I'm planning on doing, plus the cool thing about the Monster is it has different maps so you can set it to Urban and it limits power to around 75hp and such for when it's wet outside or whatever. If I go that route I'd like to spend a month or two letting it hang out in urban mode so I can get the hang of it again before I venture into the snappier fuel maps.

Looked at some HD dynas today too. Wife really liked those. I miss having a cruiser sometimes as well. Wish I could swing both right now but alas I can't in the next year or so.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I have two bikes in my garage that I haven't rode in years. Last time I did ride my VFR it felt like old times almost instantly, right back in the groove. I'll probably start riding again once my daughter is out of school - about 12yrs from now, but in the mean time that's what the Cobra is for.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
Never ridden a Monster, but my Multistrada has been amazingly better then the 600RR I had.

But yeah it took 1-2 rides before I got back into the swing of riding and I had a few years between also

NinjaBum

Established Member
I have two bikes in my garage that I haven't rode in years. Last time I did ride my VFR it felt like old times almost instantly, right back in the groove. I'll probably start riding again once my daughter is out of school - about 12yrs from now, but in the mean time that's what the Cobra is for.

Yeah I felt pretty familiar with bikes I had before after a break, hell even today on some of the Harleys I sat on it felt very familiar. I'd wager those would have been easier to hop on and ride for a test.

Felt pretty uneasy riding around on a bike I had never been on before after such a long break though.

Think if I'm going to drop 10k on a bike right now it will be a euro naked bike rather than a Harley though despite that familiarity. Mostly cause the only Harley I can get for around 10k is a Sportster 1200 and I already had one of those. Maybe the fact that the last bike I rode was a cruiser and it has easily been 6 or 7 years since riding a bike with streetfighter or sportbike styling had a hand in why it felt so odd to me. Everything just felt so different. Single disc front break slowing a 560 lb cruiser down vs. dual disc brembos slowing a 400lb bike down was very different as well.

hb712

Established Member
I've thought about it a lot, but I'm not interested enough for the risk. A friend of mine was decapitated when an old lady pulled out in front of him one night. He was a huge proponent of gear and safe riding, but nothing was going to save him that night.

I know it may sound silly, but that night really changed my attitude toward riding.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Did it with dirt bikes. Age and wisdom made me a much more cautious rider. Guess I learned that I'm not immortal at some point.

Repth

Established Member
I've thought about it a lot, but I'm not interested enough for the risk. A friend of mine was decapitated when an old lady pulled out in front of him one night. He was a huge proponent of gear and safe riding, but nothing was going to save him that night.

I know it may sound silly, but that night really changed my attitude toward riding.

That doesn't sound silly man. Sorry about your friend. It's important for us riders to remember that even all the safety gear in the world can't save us from some circumstances and ride accordingly. The more mortal I feel on the bike, the better. Especially because bikes have a way of making people feel unstoppable.

To OP, I just started riding about a year ago. Picked up a Ninja 300. I've been eying a Street Triple for a while now... Very cool bikes! Plus the insurance won't kill my 23 single male self because it's naked.

Coiled03

Established Member
Sold my last bike about 10 years ago.

I can't lie, it's hard not to buy another one when spring time rolls around. But I've avoided it this long, and now that I have a daughter, I think it's safe to say I'm done for good.

NinjaBum

Established Member
Yeah I pretty much don't have any desire to ride around town. I got TBoned making a left turn a while back by a teenage girl who ran a red light. Basically I want one again to ride out into the desert around here and visit some small hole in the wall towns. Maybe take a road trip with my dad to some neat places.

Trying to connect with my father is probably what most motivates me or I might not even be looking at them right now.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Ditto on being restrained not to get another one. But the roads are so crowded at all hours of the day and night and all seasons that it took the fun out of riding. I did enjoy going to Myrtle Beach and riding with nothing but bikes. The number of days I would ride are few and far between. I am not going to say I will never ride again. We shall see....

nxhappy

Established Member
just do it bro! Once you get a new bike it will take a little while to get used to it. Ride the bike, don't let it ride YOU !

NinjaBum

Established Member
Hopefully I'm gonna go check out a BMW F800R tomorrow before I make my decision. I like how that looks a lot. Doesn't seem to have intimidating power and is a more upright riding position. Too bad they are closed today when I have the day off.

P90167217_highRes.jpg

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
Sold my Hayabusa in 2007 I believe and just bought my next bike a few weeks ago. Feels great to ride again but I went with a little more responsible option this time. Now all I need is some weather and time to actually ride!

NinjaBum

Established Member
Got the F800R the other day. Already put 128 miles on it around town. Having so much fun.
17149581820_67f4858675_h.jpg

Feeling confident again after a couple of days. Barely feels like I ever had a break now.

Users who are viewing this thread