Any Trick to Getting Belt On?

wlg101190

Established Member
I just bought the Gates 80 1/8" belt, mods include: 2.93" upper, 4# lower, 4-piece Billetflow idlers, and 3.2" alt. pulley. I can not for the life of me get the belt on the top supercharger pulley. Is there any trick to it? I am about an inch off. Another thing, I read that people with the same setup as me have this belt and it worked fine for them. Thanks!

eludercobra

Established Member
Alway install belt on supercharger pulley third last. Try looping around supercharger pulley, then around your aux idler then the last idler right by the alternator, between the idler and alternator, works ever time.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You might have to loosen the snub idler,then put the belt on and lastly tighten the snub idler.That`s what I had to do.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Take the aux idler off and put it on the blower pulley first. It has a lip and will be the toughest to get last, you're better off routing the belt over it then the other idlers.

wlg101190

Established Member
So, I should take off aux idler, put the belt on blower pulley first, and then what is the easiest pulley to get the belt on so I can do that last? Thanks.

Nate14120

Established Member
You can always try a larger belt. Just look at the mark on the tension pulley to make sure it is tight enough. If it is too loose just return it.

wlg101190

Established Member
Well I basically got the belt on everything, but I have the aux idler out. It was so tight, that I do not believe it is even possible to get the aux idler back on. :(

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Is your tensioner notched? Push down on the tensioner as far as it will allow and then push the aux idler back on. If you can get the belt on the blower pulley then the aux idler pulley will go on.

r_vas85

yeah!!!!
Established Member
try..try to put a little of the belt on the SC pulley and try turning the key just enough to make the SC turn a bit..it worked for me

jiggen01

Established Member
try..try to put a little of the belt on the SC pulley and try turning the key just enough to make the SC turn a bit..it worked for me

+1 i did the same thing got the belt to about halfway on the supercharger pulley and bumped the key and it went right in place

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
The stop on the tensioner should be ground down and this pic will show you where the proper size belt will rest the tensioner when all is said and done. Sometimes you have to go through a few belts to get the exact right size.

grindpulley.JPG

Also good to read through: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/485098-tensioner-forces-analyzed.html

Users who are viewing this thread