Any long term effect of running the up to 10% Ethanol crap?

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
I was just adding to what you said, there was no real point for you. It seems like you understand it, unlike others.
Its funny how many people dont really even know how it even gets to the station let only the blending process.

Ok, I thought you were just adding to it since it seemed in line with what I was saying! I just needed to check, sometimes on the internet things can be misunderstood.

Dan

Last edited:

m!ssboss

Established Member
Sorry, if this has been said, but I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed.

For those of you who say ethanol is bad, don't want it at the pump, etc need to wise up, and do some research.

Ethanol is a cleaner, cooler burning fuel. Cars that run E85 not only pollute less, but also make more power. It allows for more timing, and less detonation.

The ONLY downside to ethanol is you need 2x as much of it as normal. So double both your injectors, and your fuel pumps. As well as the feed/return lines on your car.

And no, for a while now the products used in manufacturing cars have had to be able to withstand ethanol, so you will see NO HARM in using it. Not a single thing.

Tyler

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Sorry, if this has been said, but I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed.

For those of you who say ethanol is bad, don't want it at the pump, etc need to wise up, and do some research.

Ethanol is a cleaner, cooler burning fuel. Cars that run E85 not only pollute less, but also make more power. It allows for more timing, and less detonation.

The ONLY downside to ethanol is you need 2x as much of it as normal. So double both your injectors, and your fuel pumps. As well as the feed/return lines on your car.

And no, for a while now the products used in manufacturing cars have had to be able to withstand ethanol, so you will see NO HARM in using it. Not a single thing.

Tyler
YEAH but with the 10% you have to burn more of it to go the same distance as a straight 93 Octane so that emissions theory and Al Gore Environment hoopla doesn't hold water for me!:sleeping:

m!ssboss

Established Member
Here, gas is 2.79. Thats 27.9c that MIGHT or might not be ethanol. Thats less then a mile more you might be able to drive. Your driving around a V8, probably pushing a good amount of power. And now your worried about gas mileage? Maybe you should have picked up a Civic.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
It doesn't require twice as much to make the power..

a good rule of thumb is your fuel system will need to handle about 30% more fuel when using E85 or E98 over pump gas

so if your pumps are close to maxed on normal gas and you want to convert to E85 then your going to need to do something with your fuel system to handle it.

bkaul

Established Member
a good rule of thumb is your fuel system will need to handle about 30% more fuel when using E85 or E98 over pump gas
Yeah, so the difference with E10 will be < 3%. I don't buy that people really notice the difference between a range of 250 or 245 miles on a tank. You're right that with the high percentage blends, you may need a higher capacity fuel pump, etc., but people complaining about the difference in range per tank on E10 are just full of hot air.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
oh there is a difference. when i go up north and can get the conventional non blended gas i do, and i notice a difference but ive never calculated it.

Ive ran 10% in all my cars for the last 10 years if i didnt have to i wouldnt. but its just something you get use to, just like anything else. sadly

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Here, gas is 2.79. Thats 27.9c that MIGHT or might not be ethanol. Thats less then a mile more you might be able to drive. Your driving around a V8, probably pushing a good amount of power. And now your worried about gas mileage? Maybe you should have picked up a Civic.
When I put 15 gallons of straight 93 I'll get 50 more drive miles over 10% blend that's NOT a mile more, it adds up! And ME run a Rice Burner, don't think so Bro!!:bash:

ProMod

No the reason the ethanol is not added at the refinery is because it is not transported threw the same pipeline that conventional gas is because it is corrosive. Also the end user does not always know much ethanol they will put in their final product. 5% or 10%

bkaul

Established Member
When I put 15 gallons of straight 93 I'll get 50 more drive miles over 10% blend that's NOT a mile more, it adds up! And ME run a Rice Burner, don't think so Bro!!:bash:
You won't get 50 more drive miles unless your driving habits are radically different between those tanks. The difference in energy density (energy per unit volume - kJ/m^3 or Btu/gal) between a typical E0 gasoline blend and an E10 blend is 3.6%. (I just ran the numbers based on the values for gasoline and ethanol in the fuel properties appendix of Heywood's Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, which is the de facto standard IC Engines textbook.) So if you have a fixed size tank (15.7 gal in a Mustang) and drive fairly consistently (city vs hwy, etc.) on a tank of E0 and E10, the difference in maximum range between those will be about 3.6%. If you're getting 250-300 miles on a tank, that's between 9 and 11 miles.

bkaul

Established Member
No the reason the ethanol is not added at the refinery is because it is not transported threw the same pipeline that conventional gas is because it is corrosive. Also the end user does not always know much ethanol they will put in their final product. 5% or 10%
Most of the corrosion problems they're running into presently are related to ethanol vapors reacting with water vapor to create acetic acid. This is a problem in the long run on the vapor recovery fittings at gas stations where tanker trucks hook up, etc. And they don't want to run it through the pipelines (besides that, it's probably logistically cheaper to ship the ethanol to the nearest terminus than all the way to the refinery: our corn and ethanol production isn't centered in the same parts of the country as our highest refinery concentrations).

I've not heard of problems in automobile fuel systems from this, though. The big problem that used to come up was that the rubber and plastic parts used in older fuel systems would degrade with exposure to ethanol. Modern automobiles are designed with materials that are E10 compatible, though. It's still a problem in marine applications (older engines not designed for it + more chance of picking up water in the fuel to cause corrosion, etc.), but in your car, E10 isn't going to cause any damage. The manufacturers have been designing their vehicles using materials that are compatible with E10 for a long time now.

Last edited:

mrbill00

Established Member
absolutley lose at least 10% milage per gallon with E10..i've been running a book with miles and gallons for 40,000 miles ( 9 years)..all of a sudden when the E10 came to town, the milage dropped...took us a while to figure out what it was until we found REAL gas at Kroger..changed back and milage went back up. i get 27.3-28.0 with real gas at 77-80 mph ..goes to 23.5-25.0 with E10...
now Sunoco is in the area (real gas- so far) milage back up

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
absolutley lose at least 10% milage per gallon with E10..i've been running a book with miles and gallons for 40,000 miles ( 9 years)..all of a sudden when the E10 came to town, the milage dropped...took us a while to figure out what it was until we found REAL gas at Kroger..changed back and milage went back up. i get 27.3-28.0 with real gas at 77-80 mph ..goes to 23.5-25.0 with E10...
now Sunoco is in the area (real gas- so far) milage back up

sad thing is, if everyone else around is RFG then sunoco will be soon too, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread