Any long term effect of running the up to 10% Ethanol crap?

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Will the tree hugger fuel reduce octane?
Harm the plastic/ rubber components of the fuel system?
I know someone with an older M3 (01?) and it runs/ sounds like sh*t
with the mandatory winter blends here in TX :fm:

cobrob

all natural poster
Established Member
I'm sure you will get a lot of different opinions but our cars are made to run 10% ethanol. I even had mine one e85 this summer! I think my car runs better off of it myself.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It is required by law to be at least the octane rating that is listed on the pump. Besides, ethanol has a higher octane rating than straight gasoline anyway. If anything, it's higher. The mileage will drop though. Hippies don't get that part.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
I don't drive my car much.
Can this fuel in long term storage ruin the fuel pump parts etc?

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
hmm good question, we have had it here for a long time in TN, I have not noticed anything and my fox sat for extended periods of time with that in the tank (stabil also)

mustangman36578

Established Member
like stated earlier the "tree hugger fuel" is actually higher octane so no it wont reduce octane. 10% wont hurt you at all. im actually going to be switching to E-85 this winter when i do my eaton swap. e85 is approx. 100-105 octane.

Last edited:

bkaul

Established Member
Ethanol is an octane booster ... the E-10 blends naturally take this into account, so the octane rating on the pump is correct. All modern cars are designed to be compatible (i.e. rubber parts, etc.) with at least 10% ethanol. I've had no fuel system problems on my '01 Cobra after > 200,000 miles, mostly on MO fuel, which is legally mandated to be E-10. With antique cars, you might have to worry about material compatibility on wetted parts in the fuel system (though replacing a few hoses and rebuilding the carburetor and maybe fuel pump with new rubber parts would fix that). With modern cars, it's a non-issue and has been for many years.

ProMod

Not a fan of all the Ethanol in the fuel. I heard that it is very corrosive and attracts water. I don’t like the fact that I get worse gas mileage.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
FYI I get 17 mpg city driving with Ethanol blend and 20 mpg for straight marine grade 93.
My car runs and idles better with the Non Corn fed but it's 20 cents more a gallon, doesn't bother me though I go the same distance for money spent!

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
No it will not harm anything in a newer car. I am no tree hugger but it is better on the enviornment than MTBE which can very easily pollute water supplies. As stated ethanol will increase the octane rating (yeah a pretty good thing). I have never had any issues with any cars on 10% ethanol.

There is a lot of misinformation about 10% ethanol fuels, overall they are pretty good and don't have the same issues that E20, E85 and other higher ethanol fuels have.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Will the tree hugger fuel reduce octane?
Harm the plastic/ rubber components of the fuel system?
I know someone with an older M3 (01?) and it runs/ sounds like sh*t
with the mandatory winter blends here in TX :fm:
Ethanol is added to fuel at the truck loading rack and it actually brings the fuels octane up to the pump rated octane.

I don't drive my car much.
Can this fuel in long term storage ruin the fuel pump parts etc?

no its only 10% it will not harm anything, to run E85+ you will because there isnt much for lube in the Ethanol. where as the E10...lol or 10% blend...what ever you want to call it, still has 90 % normal gas in it, so it still has all the normal lubes in it. So NO, 10% wont hurt your car in any way.
its the only kinda gas that my car has seen in its life besides the race fuel.

Not a fan of all the Ethanol in the fuel. I heard that it is very corrosive and attracts water. I don’t like the fact that I get worse gas mileage.

it absorbs water. so if there is a couple water droplets in your tank it will suck it up, but if you draw your tank way empty(where the water would be settled) than i would rather it go threw my engine absorbed/mixed with the ethanol than just pure droplets running through my motor. Ethanol is the main thing used in that Heat product. which is used to keep your fuel lines from freezing, because ethanol will absorb the water making it almost impossible to freeze the water at that point.

I do agree with the gas mileage part, but the 10% blend is barely noticable, The E85 guys will have to add roughly 30 % more fuel to do what pump gas will do, but the E85 is like a high octane race fuel for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
No it will not harm anything in a newer car. I am no tree hugger but it is better on the enviornment than MTBE which can very easily pollute water supplies. As stated ethanol will increase the octane rating (yeah a pretty good thing). I have never had any issues with any cars on 10% ethanol.

There is a lot of misinformation about 10% ethanol fuels, overall they are pretty good and don't have the same issues that E20, E85 and other higher ethanol fuels have.

what happens is, reformulated blended gas will come up the pipe line from a refinery at a lower octane. for example 93 octane will come into the terminal at about 90 octane, then when it gets splash blended at the truck loading rack, the 10% ethanol is blended into the 90 octane fuel bumping it up to a 93+ octane finished product, that the station will then get.

where as conventional blended gas, will come from the refinery at its given octane level(non 10% blend)

Last edited:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member

what happens is, reformulated blended gas will come up the pipe line from a refinery at a lower octane. for example 93 octane will come into the terminal at about 90 octane, then when it gets splash blended at the truck loading rack, the 10% ethanol is blended into the 90 octane fuel bumping it up to a 93+ octane finished product, that the station will then get.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member

where as conventional blended gas, will come from the refinery at its given octane level(non 10% blend)

Ethanol does increaes the octane rating and it is an oxygenator (like MTBE). So it can replace MTBE which is a very good thing. Not trying to be mean, but I am missing your overall point.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
Ethanol does increaes the octane rating and it is an oxygenator (like MTBE). So it can replace MTBE which is a very good thing. Not trying to be mean, but I am missing your overall point.

I was just adding to what you said, there was no real point for you. It seems like you understand it, unlike others.
Its funny how many people dont really even know how it even gets to the station let only the blending process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread