any ideas?

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
blew the spark plug threads out of the #8 cylinder the other day. has this happened to anyone else and what did you do?? can they be heli coiled? time for new heads? how hard is it to remove the heads on a 32v motor? im mechanically inclined and have done 302 heads before but the OHV really intimidates me....any ideas would be extremely helpful. thanks!

Jroc

Established Member
You can use a helicoil. All but the last few months that the Terminators where in production they came with only 4 threads for the sparkplugs. The last of the 04's came with 9 threads for the sparkplugs.

The Jan 05 heads also use 9 threads, and are much better heads as they flow coolant much better, but thats for you to deside if you want to pony up the money for them or not. If you do you should talk to Steve at Tousley.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
can you put a helicoil in with the heads on the car? or would they need to be removed? not sure how to post pics but the old spark plug is pretty tore up. it started out as a slight exhaust leak and i checked every exhaust bolt and finially figured i just had the head tick, then driving home one day it went pop and then big exhaust leak!! i was thinking about getting the revised 05 heads, but are there better aftermarket heads? my ideas are lots of power for the car down the road, ie big TS or twin turbo.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
im thinking it slowly backed out over time, i started hearing a slight tick sound while driving but it was very faint so i checked exhaust bolts and found nothing. i just assumed i had the head tick problem and never checked the torque on the plugs. all the other plugs were tight as they should be so im a little confused myself as to why only the #8 plug would backout/blowout???

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
can you put a helicoil in with the heads on the car? or would they need to be removed?

I wouldn't! You have to drill the hole bigger then tap it for the helicoil. I don't see how you would keep from getting metal chips down in your cylinder.

SVTburnout

Banned
I wouldn't! You have to drill the hole bigger then tap it for the helicoil. I don't see how you would keep from getting metal chips down in your cylinder.

x2^^^

if your planning for a big TS or TT, then id do a head job anyways

and OHV is nothing to be afraid of.... ive ripped apart my fair share of pushrods, and you'll be good buddy, head jobs on these cars arent that bad :rockon:

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Sorry to hear...
2 questions:
1. Are they the stock plugs?
2. If they aren't, did you use antiseize?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
im thinking it slowly backed out over time, i started hearing a slight tick sound while driving but it was very faint so i checked exhaust bolts and found nothing. i just assumed i had the head tick problem and never checked the torque on the plugs. all the other plugs were tight as they should be so im a little confused myself as to why only the #8 plug would backout/blowout???

Could it be that when you installed the plugs you tightened 7 properly and maybe didn't tighten #8 enough? Even with a torque wrench it is possible to get distracted and end up not sufficiently tightening one plug. Just a thought. Having only 4 threads vs. 9 would likely not help the situation. JMO.

TRBO VNM

this is very common unfortunately and one of the reasons for Ford's revised heads. I saw it on a car that the plugs were never tightened down on, well, the shop forgot to tighten one side and then over tightened the other side. but I have seen it on a lightning that had the plugs in for plenty of miles with no issues.

I wouldn't use a helicoil. I have used the timesert and they work well and there is another that is very good as well, but the kits cost big bucks unless you find someone with one that you can borrow and just pay for the insert.

it can be done with the head on the car and you don't have to drill the hole. the tap they give you is just larger than the existing hole. just make sure you use a lot of grease in the gaps of the tap to catch any aluminum.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
thats a lot for the input guys! the car has 65k on it and i would really like an 03 ann. or an 04 OW. so i may just go the cheap route and get the heads for another project. they were TR7ix plugs and i did not use antiseize. will be next time though, ha!

Users who are viewing this thread