Any help would be appreciated...eBay seller using my car to sell his product...

vertigyn

Established Member
mustang cobra 03 04 gt mach 1 bullit rear bumper shaved!! | eBay

I've gone back and forth with this guys in eBay messages a couple of times (shown below) and he promises not to use any images of car going forward but his current ad remains...

I've reported the listing as Fradulant and called eBay customer service trying to get the picture removed. So far...nothing. The only applicable reporting method I could find was: Listing Practices/Fraudulent listing/You suspect that a listing is fradulent

Any help you guys can provide by either bombarding the seller, reporting the listing, etc or tips for me to consider would be helpful.

I really don't appreciate my car and tag being out there advertising some possibly shitty product that I have never heard/seen before. If I was using his product and liked it, then I wouldn't mind allowing him to advertise with my car!

For your information - my rear bumper is actually a stock OEM Cobra bumper off a 10th anniversary that was wrecked. The letters have been filled in by a local friend and body shop in Lakeland, FL.

me said:
Hi,

I'm the owner of the Mach 1 you are using for your listing picture. The car has an OEM Cobra bumper on it - not the product you are listing or any other aftermarket fiberglass piece. I fear that you are misrepresenting the product you are selling by using a picture I took of my car. I also do not appreciate my license plate not being blocked out for an advertisement I was not aware of. Although I am flattered that you are using my car as your advertisement, I do not appreciate you using it to fraudulently advertise your product.

Please remove my picture from your listing.

Thanks.

Seller said:
I am very sorry for using a picture of your car as an example of the pieces I have up for sale. Your car just looks awesome and is a prerfect example. For now I would like to ask you for permission to keep using your picture in my listings but with license plate blurred out. Sorry again

Me said:
Thanks for the quick reply and for the compliments on my car.

Here is my take on you using my picture to sell your product: Product misrepresentation. I've never seen an aftermarket Cobra rear bumper that fits and looks factory - hence why I used a factory OEM piece on for my vehicle. You need to utilize a picture of your actual product - not a product that represents what yours will look like. For example, if I'm going to buy a car - I want to see the car I'm buying, not a car that looks like the car I'm buying. I would suggest finding a Mustang locally that you can test fit your product onto and use that for your photos. Additionally, no where in your ad do you have a disclaimer stating the pictured rear bumper is an OEM bumper with the lettering filled in and is only shown for representation purposes.

At this point, I'm not comfortable with you using a photo of my car for the following reasons: 1. It shows my license plate which can be traced back to my home and address. I don't need any unwanted communications from any possible unhappy customers you might have with a product I do not support or can vouch for the quality of. 2. I don't want people to see my car on the street and think I have an aftermarket bumper on my car when in fact it is OEM. I already have online forum members sending me messages about this listing asking if I'm making bumpers and how is the quality of the bumpers because they know my car and link it to me.

So, with these reasons, I'm not willing to provide permission to use my photo because it is false advertisement, misleading, and is causing me unneeded attention and questions on the forums. If I actually had your product on my car, then this would be a different story - I don't mind supporting good businesses, shops, and vendors that I have used but you and your product are not ones that I have used and therefore am not willing to support.

Please remove the picture of my car from your listing and please do not use it going forward.

Seller said:
ok sr, no problem, you wont see your car on ebay anymore, and by the way my bumpers fit just like the oem, and looks exactly the same, but i wanted a picture of a car with the bumper already painted, but dont worry sr, you wont see your car anymore. thanks any way. have a nice weekend.

I sent him another message today asking for the picture to be removed...

It just bothers me because I have people on here and Mach1Reg sending me PMs asking about the product he is selling thinking it's me selling them...I don't want my car associated with this guys product at all.

vertigyn

Established Member
Contact ebay and they will remove the listing and possibly block him. You could seek damages as well.

Do you know the best way to do this? I've reported the listing (using the path listed in my above post) and I've called customer support who only filed another report but was able to describe the situation in her report.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Do you know the best way to do this? I've reported the listing (using the path listed in my above post) and I've called customer support who only filed another report but was able to describe the situation in her report.

I'm not familiar with the process, but there are others on the site who have been through it.

tell him 100 bucks for the rights to use it this one time

That's too cheap.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
what a dick. that sucks dude. I'd be pretty pissed about it. we had a guy do that with my 99 cobra. he was selling a red mustang V6 convertible (wasn't even rio red like the cobra was, my car was also a coupe) on a couple websites while I was in germany. I hate dick heads like that.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Good thing my car looks like ass! I don't have to deal with these guys. I've heard quite a few stories like this. Sucks man. Good luck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
eBay definitely should shut down the listing if you've reported it, because selling a car using a photo of another car is fraudulent. Maybe you need to put more pressure on eBay. Ask for a supervisor because the listing is fraudulent and hasn't been taken down yet.

Just noticed, not only does this guy have big ones to use your car in his auction, BUT HE IS DISPLAYING YOUR LICENSE PLATE!! I'd be all over eBay on that alone!

Last edited:

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Dick couldn't of even taken 30 seconds to black out your plate. IMO that's worse than using the car without your permission, considering some unsatisfied customer receiving sub-standard parts could bring you into the situation.:nonono:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
What scum.

He also seems to be selling knock off Roush Stage 3 fronts. I'm pretty sure Roush has there products heavily licensed for this reason (unlike Saleen). Someone should drop them a line saying a guy on ebay trying to sell knock off's

vertigyn

Established Member
I agree completely!

I just had a more successful call into eBay. They transferred me to the department that has to do with listings and rules (or something like that) and they were much more knowledgeable and understood the issue completely. They are working to get the listing removed ASAP as they agree that it is 1. A violation of privacy by displaying my plate 2. A violation by using a photo that does not belong to the seller 3. A violation of product misrepresentation by using a picture of a product that is not what they are selling.

Fortunately all my communications with the seller were through eBay messages so they have the seller admitting that the photo is not his and that I did not grant him permission to use the photo. The eBay rep was pleased to see that and said that will make the process much easier.

Hopefully this ad will be gone ASAP!

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Just noticed, not only does this guy have big ones to use your car in his auction, BUT HE IS DISPLAYING YOUR LICENSE PLATE!! I'd be all over eBay on that alone!

Wtf Bob did you not even read anything? He stated that in his original, unedited post, more than once. Slow down on the posting, its making you look more crazy than I already think you are.

Ironhand

Banned
Wtf Bob did you not even read anything? He stated that in his original, unedited post, more than once. Slow down on the posting, its making you look more crazy than I already think you are.

1) You could've said that more tactfully.
2) He is a vendor here and vendor bashing is against the rules.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
1) You could've said that more tactfully.
2) He is a vendor here and vendor bashing is against the rules.

1. I thought I was being nice? Bob is the meanie, making me read the same stuff twice and all.

2.I was not bashing his products in anyway which im sure the rule was made for. I did not call him any names. I stated it is making him look crazy.

3. So how long have you and Bob been sexin eachother?

Ironhand

Banned
1. I thought I was being nice? Bob is the meanie, making me read the same stuff twice and all.

2.I was not bashing his products in anyway which im sure the rule was made for. I did not call him any names. I stated it is making him look crazy.

3. So how long have you and Bob been sexin eachother?

1) Your wording needs work

2) Bashing his products or the person(which includes calling him names) could be taken as "bashing". Atleast that is kind of what it sounded like to me.

3) I cant get any time with Bob, he is too busy with your mother.

Users who are viewing this thread