Any disadvantage to FRRP Procal tune?

Erich

Established Member
Makes sense with some more timing in there the mpg would be better.
Erich

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
First I have heard the MPG are better, currently YeS I do drive around on 87 octane.
If indeed the gas prices reach $5 a gallon this summer as expected It is gonna be a pricey mod though.

I not only have to put gas in my car, we have a Mach1 & a Saleen that are tuned for 93 octane. And my truck is running a tune as well.....it gets pricey trying to mod 4 vehicles lol

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
I called FRPP about the tune being a "soft part" and did it really need to be installed by a dealer for the warranty. Support person confirmed it did but even he wasn't sure what "proof" was required. Hurt to hand over $110 for what is probably 10 minutes worth of mindless work but still worth the piece of mind.

Most dealer will charge a hour labor for any thing. Including diagnostic work. So I can not say I am surprised you got charged to have it installed. I will also say it would be nice if FRPP would confirm, in print, that the ProCal does not need a dealer install. It only has their tune on it. So you can't do it wrong. The only issue would be if it did not install correctly and left you a dead car with out the stock tune or ProCal tune. And trust me, not everyone should install their own parts. haha

My dealer said they would do it for free as well, but gas prices still hold me back form doing this!

Difference from 87 to 93 isn't too bad unless you put a crazy amount of miles on the car every week.

Gas prices? So, do you drive your 412 HP, 11:1 compression Mustang around on 87? is the 30 cents extra a gallon for 93 preventing you from this tune?

For the record, mine actually got better mileage on the Pro-Cal than stock, so it may all balance out.

Mike

And to add to this, the 412hp rating is on 91. So 87 will not run the same as it will on 91 or better. If beating on the car a lot I would think you would want the extra performance and safety of the higher octane gas. I know I do.

That all being said...........................

I bought a tuner online for a cheap price when I bought my 2011 GT. After hearing MikeLTDLX and others saying they had some 'pinging' issues I thought about it some. I decided to have it installed now to see what happens. A local dealer has a high performance center and dyno. So I called them and scheduled a dyno before and after as well as data logs and o2 recording. The main reason to do was this was to get good data as well as having a controlled enviorment to do the testing. Another reason to do this now was the 'winter blend' fuel here in Chicago this time of year. Even though it is 93 octane it is not the same as the better summer blend fuel.

On the first pass the car was pulling 3 degrees of timing. So even with the stock tune and 93 octane in the tank the car was adjusting to the gas. The second pull was with the ProCal. He got out of it around 4500rpm. He said he heard pinging. Looked at the data log and there was no activity on the knock sensors. So we put the "octane adjust" to yes and made another pass. No real audible pinging but smelled leaner for sure. Data logs showed this. WOT was leaner at initial WOT and averaged out most of the pass around 12.8-13.0.

We decided to leave it like this for now. Come spring I may dyno it again with good fuel to see what it does. They sponsor a local web forum so the price was WELL worth getting this info. Come spring they said they will hook me up again.

And even though the dyno peak numbers did not change much, partially due to the fuel I am sure, the car feels so much different. For the reasons listed by other people. So much more power under the curve, crisp throttle response, no skip shift feature and so on. For under $300 with a K&N filter I am happy with it. The car is that much more enjoyable to drive with the tune. :rockon:

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
And even though the dyno peak numbers did not change much, partially due to the fuel I am sure, the car feels so much different. For the reasons listed by other people. So much more power under the curve, crisp throttle response, no skip shift feature and so on. For under $300 with a K&N filter I am happy with it. The car is that much more enjoyable to drive with the tune

Do you have before and after dyno numbers with this tune?

86merc

Established Member

Do you have before and after dyno numbers with this tune?

The peak numbers were 358/355 to 363/356. No major change in the peak numbers. I think with good gas and the octane adjust turned off it will make some more power. But even now the under the curve numbers look much better. Especially the torque. That under the curve torque is what makes the car a lot more fun to drive on the street. Plus the engine just seems more crisp. I think we saw an extra 35 ft/lbs. down low.

The dyno sheet he printed out was different than the chart on the screen. I didn't notice it till I got home. It is two graphs, one for each run. But one has a different scaling than the other one. So you can't lay them over one another. Oh well. This spring I will redyno it and post a follow up thread.

Funny5.0

Established Member
The peak numbers were 358/355 to 363/356. No major change in the peak numbers. I think with good gas and the octane adjust turned off it will make some more power. But even now the under the curve numbers look much better. Especially the torque. That under the curve torque is what makes the car a lot more fun to drive on the street. Plus the engine just seems more crisp. I think we saw an extra 35 ft/lbs. down low.

The dyno sheet he printed out was different than the chart on the screen. I didn't notice it till I got home. It is two graphs, one for each run. But one has a different scaling than the other one. So you can't lay them over one another. Oh well. This spring I will redyno it and post a follow up thread.

Are you saying your baseline was 358/355 and then 363/356 with the procal or 358/355 to 363/356 being your peak numbers?
When you re-dyno it, it would be great to see where and how much torque this tune is making under the curve compared to stock.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
Are you saying your baseline was 358/355 and then 363/356 with the procal or 358/355 to 363/356 being your peak numbers?
When you re-dyno it, it would be great to see where and how much torque this tune is making under the curve compared to stock.

correct. Those are the peak numbers for the pre and post ProCal. hp/tq. So 358hp/355tq to 363hp/356tq. The tune seems pretty fat up top. To be safe I am sure. Plus less timing. So peak isn't going to show crazy gains. Under the curve is where this tune really improves. I plan to email them at the dealer to see if they can email me the dyno graph with both passes on it like we had on the computer screen. Just been to busy to hit them up.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I think you will find with the octane adjust disabled, the car will be stronger and make more power and torque. You may want to consider some Torco, or Lucas to assist you with ping. It does run lean and has a good bit of timing.

Mike

86merc

Established Member
Good info thanks!

No problem.

I think you will find with the octane adjust disabled, the car will be stronger and make more power and torque. You may want to consider some Torco, or Lucas to assist you with ping. It does run lean and has a good bit of timing.

Mike

Ya, pulling timing isn't going to help power production. Just shows you that the winter blend gas is garbage. :nonono: Less energy and more volatile as it is made with butane. Glad I decided to test with it.

pcarman

Established Member
FRPP Procal

To update everyone UPS delivered my FRPP order yesterday before noon ET. Open the box and there is a K & N filter and an instruction sheet about how to go to the Ford Racing Parts site to register for the Procal tool. Name, adress, etc along with VIN and PCM number. After completing registration it says delivery of the Procal will be 3 - 5 days. No way, because UPS just delivered the Procal. Had to overnight it. Thanks FRPP. Reading the installation instructions and will let you all know how I make out.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
To update everyone UPS delivered my FRPP order yesterday before noon ET. Open the box and there is a K & N filter and an instruction sheet about how to go to the Ford Racing Parts site to register for the Procal tool. Name, adress, etc along with VIN and PCM number. After completing registration it says delivery of the Procal will be 3 - 5 days. No way, because UPS just delivered the Procal. Had to overnight it. Thanks FRPP. Reading the installation instructions and will let you all know how I make out.

In all sincerity, I would not install the K&N. I ditched mine and went back to a paper filter. Your call, there is no difference in power between the K&N, a paper filter or any other brand drop in...all proven by Shaun on the dyno.

Mike

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
I left my K&n out also, that thing was away too oily for my tastes. I'm just gonna put a fresh filter from ford every year.

86merc

Established Member
Mine ProCal unit came UPS next day air as well. I was kind of worried when I registered and got no follow up via email or phone. Especially when they are buying back ProCal tools due to a hardware shortage. From what I understand at least.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Mine ProCal unit came UPS next day air as well. I was kind of worried when I registered and got no follow up via email or phone. Especially when they are buying back ProCal tools due to a hardware shortage. From what I understand at least.

I've talked to a couple people and they are selling tons of pro cal tunes.

86merc

Established Member
I've talked to a couple people and they are selling tons of pro cal tunes.

I like to hear that. If they sell parts the program can continue and bring more products to vehicle owners. And I am not surprised by the GT500 mufflers. They seem hugely popular and do sound great.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
I like to hear that. If they sell parts the program can continue and bring more products to vehicle owners. And I am not surprised by the GT500 mufflers. They seem hugely popular and do sound great.

Yeah just not sure exactly what he said. Don't want to post wrong info. But the axle backs did beat the pro cal in sales.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
Yeah just not sure exactly what he said. Don't want to post wrong info. But the axle backs did beat the pro cal in sales.

And why not? HALF the price of aftermarket units, plus they sound great, unlike the stock GT axlebacks which sound like the should be on a Honda.

Users who are viewing this thread