Any disadvantage to FRRP Procal tune?

Erich

Established Member
I know it is not the best gains of tunes out there. However it is the factory one-keeps warrenty etc. Seems like there are some nice features along with the 60 ft-lb down low. I would like a more normal feel to the throttle and I think it gets rid of that hanging rpm.

What are the negatives other than a requirement for 91 octane (I always run 93 anyway)? Anything with drivability etc? I like how solid the stock configuration runs.

Also, it appears that it comes with a K&N or something? Is that the minimum requirement? I doubt the exhaust does anything but sound better for this level of tune.

Erich

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I know it is not the best gains of tunes out there. However it is the factory one-keeps warrenty etc. Seems like there are some nice features along with the 60 ft-lb down low. I would like a more normal feel to the throttle and I think it gets rid of that hanging rpm.

What are the negatives other than a requirement for 91 octane (I always run 93 anyway)? Anything with drivability etc? I like how solid the stock configuration runs.

Also, it appears that it comes with a K&N or something? Is that the minimum requirement? I doubt the exhaust does anything but sound better for this level of tune.

Erich

Ignore the 60ft-lb down low as you will never feel that. I believe that this is claimed to be at 1500rpms, and I personally never have gone WOT at 1500rpms pre or post ProCal.

I am happy with mine, and really like the improved DD of the tune over the stock tuning.

Some have had pinging issues, but I have not experienced this.

Last edited:

Erich

Established Member
I would think you would feel 60 ft-lb it you nail it from a slow speed in a low gear.
What ways does it change the manual trans? 1 to 4 is out but is there any other part it changes? For example when you down shift from 6, it seems to like to go into 3rd unless you point the shifter to 5. That may be just how it is sprung tho.
What other sort of DD changes do you notice?
Erich

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
With the 3.73's, I have rarely been in a gear at that RPM. I have never nailed it in a gear that low in the rpm band, so I have nothing to compare it to.

It is not going to change anything relating to gear changes.

As far as DD:

Skip shift eliminated
Drive by wire is much more responsive
RPM's don't seem to hang between shifts
Partial throttle accel seems much better than stock

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Advantages:

Skip shift eliminated;
Crisp throttle response, increased engine braking;
Less stupid computer tricks through WOT;
Less throttle hang (see below);
Nice torque;
A little bump in power;
FRPP warranty.

Disadvantages:

On some cars, mine included it pinged. The tune is lean;
Cannot make changes aside from gear ratio and tire diameter;
Throttle hang curtailed (which when trying to shift fast, can actually be of assistance);
True gains are not huge.

Overall, it is a snappy feeling tune. For me, I chased the ping long enough and then I just bailed. If you want to try it cheaply, and you have a manual trans and the same series PCM that I have, mine is for sale with the K&N. PM me if interested.

Mike

pcarman

Established Member
FRPP Procal

The Service mgr at my Ford dealership recommended I get it. He said it will help with the notchy 1 - 2 shifts. I am skeptical about this but since it was on my list of upgrades I ordered it the other day. It looks like Tousley Ford has the lowest price - $308.

Waiting for delivery.

By the way he said he has an RTR Mustang GT. A special $10,000 option. Anyone have any info on this?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The Service mgr at my Ford dealership recommended I get it. He said it will help with the notchy 1 - 2 shifts. I am skeptical about this but since it was on my list of upgrades I ordered it the other day. It looks like Tousley Ford has the lowest price - $308.

Waiting for delivery.

By the way he said he has an RTR Mustang GT. A special $10,000 option. Anyone have any info on this?

It is not going to help with notchy shifts. It will remove skip shift though.

RTR = Ready To Rock, a limited edition Mustang "designed" by drift king Vaughn Gittin.

Mike

Erich

Established Member
Annoying that it pinged. What does Ford say about that? If there were engine damage with their tune?
Snappier would be nice. That is what makes the car seem a little dead compared to my 97
Erich

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Annoying that it pinged. What does Ford say about that? If there were engine damage with their tune?
Snappier would be nice. That is what makes the car seem a little dead compared to my 97
Erich

Ford said it is "normal." There is an octane adjust setting you can select if you hear "audible spark knock." I used it. It made the tune less snappy, probably due to it being a global reduction in timing. I should have logged that when it was on the car, I logged it being off as that was how I preferred it. It took adding octane boost to every tank for me to eliminate the ping, and even then it did not completely cure it. I logged the tune and Shaun said it was lean, which makes sense since it is a 50 state CARB certified tune and cannot be a polluter.

It has great throttle response, which is nice. However, Shaun's tune runs like it has its ass on fire when the throttle goes down..so I can live with a slight reduction in throttle response..especially with ZERO ping, EVER. For the record, most do not report ping. I have an extensive post about it, with a poll, over on AFM. There are many users of this tune over there.

Mike

VMC

Established Member
I second everything Mike has said. The ProCal is great in every aspect except for the ping. Unfortunately, that is a major issue and overshadows how great it is. Seems to be hit or miss on whether you will have issues. I know I did. Just depends on if you want to take the risk. I ended up ditching the ProCal and going with a Steeda intake and tune combo. Will report back after this weekend on impressions.

pcarman

Established Member
FRPP Procal

Well okay I run Exxon 93 octane. Boy the ping issue sounds like a problem. My Procal is scheduled for delivery Monday. I will do the update sometime next week. If I get the pinging I want to see what the Ford Service Mgr says about it. Keep you posted.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Well okay I run Exxon 93 octane. Boy the ping issue sounds like a problem. My Procal is scheduled for delivery Monday. I will do the update sometime next week. If I get the pinging I want to see what the Ford Service Mgr says about it. Keep you posted.

Keep in mind that the ping seems to be car specific. Not everyone has it, actually more state that they don't have it, than those that do.

Mike

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Only disadvantage on any tunes I can see is that you Have to use 91/93 octane.
Have You seen the price of gas these days!? :nonono:
It's only going up too! :bash:

Pcarman: Keep us updated on your findings after you install the Pro-Cal!

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The FRPP tune isn't just car specific, it's install specific. I got it and put it on my 2011 about a month after taking delivery. It pinged, even with Chevron 94. I took it off to make way for a Boss manifold and BBR tune. After running that combo at a couple of track days I concluded that it wasn't working for me, so I reinstalled the stock intake and the FRPP tune. No ping the second time even with Shell 91.

I really like the tune because of the throttle response and the complete absence of hanging revs. They did a good job, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The FRPP tune isn't just car specific, it's install specific. I got it and put it on my 2011 about a month after taking delivery. It pinged, even with Chevron 94. I took it off to make way for a Boss manifold and BBR tune. After running that combo at a couple of track days I concluded that it wasn't working for me, so I reinstalled the stock intake and the FRPP tune. No ping the second time even with Shell 91.

I really like the tune because of the throttle response and the complete absence of hanging revs. They did a good job, as far as I'm concerned.

It did not work that way with me. I installed and removed it several times. I cannot see how it would install any differently. It either installs the tune, or it fails. Maybe something else transpired in that interim period...like the gas formulas changed, or your car clocked more miles, or maybe your car has not fully learned and adjusted to the tune. It took about a month before mine began to ping.

Mike

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
Only disadvantage on any tunes I can see is that you Have to use 91/93 octane.
Have You seen the price of gas these days!? :nonono:
It's only going up too! :bash:

Pcarman: Keep us updated on your findings after you install the Pro-Cal!

I have heard that the Prius gets pretty good mileage, maybe that's the car for you? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread