Anxiety disorder

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
For the people who say "sack up"... you have no idea what anxiety/panic is. So please keep such idiotic statements to yourself.
Couldn't have said it better, if you don't have anxiety/panic disorders, you don't understand. PERIOD.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Anxiety is learned behavior. Be careful, the usual progression of un-checked anxiety is depression. If you really want to address it, seek a counselor/psychologist. Working the whole thing thru with talk threrapy is probably the best bet. If the anxiety is persistent, they may want to put you on meds for bit to help even you out. You might be able to stomach it out for a while, but it can get worse alot of times. People with real bad anxiety conditions can develop obsessive-compulsive behavior or somatization disorders. Do you ever have unexplained headaches or nauseua? My girl is the healthiest woman I know. I know this because she had constant headaches and sickness for 6 months. She went to every doctor and had every test known to man. I kept telling her it was anxiety/stress and she needed to try a Psychologist. Out of sheer desperation she went to one who put her on an medication and within a 2 weeks all the headaches and stomach ache was gone. She's did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and came off the meds within 2 years. Think if it this way tho...youre dealing with 20+ years of learned behavior...it will take w while to undo all that learned behavior...have to be patient and realistic.

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
Interesting, there are many types of bi-polar, they at first thought thats what I was being that I have a little OCD, but I have never had problems with depression. Does that mix of pills seem to help you?

Help, yes. Cure, no. It is better. What I do get now is a reduction in anxiety, but I have lost most of my emotional abilities. Anyone who knows me knows that I have no emotions at all. Someone could buy me a new Ferrari and I don't even smile. Someone close to me can die or be in a serious accident and I don't care. I have a completely flat affect. About once a month or so I still have a serious depressive episode. I just keep friends close by and do not live alone for this reason.

And also, to the people who think depression is not real, you really have no clue. I can't remember the last time I actually was happy about life. I have no care for anything and have no drive to complete anything. I am very intelligent yet can't get through college trying as hard as I can. It really has ruined my life in every sense of the phrase.

mr2cam

Established Member
Help, yes. Cure, no. It is better. What I do get now is a reduction in anxiety, but I have lost most of my emotional abilities. Anyone who knows me knows that I have no emotions at all. Someone could buy me a new Ferrari and I don't even smile. Someone close to me can die or be in a serious accident and I don't care. I have a completely flat affect. About once a month or so I still have a serious depressive episode. I just keep friends close by and do not live alone for this reason.

And also, to the people who think depression is not real, you really have no clue. I can't remember the last time I actually was happy about life. I have no care for anything and have no drive to complete anything. I am very intelligent yet can't get through college trying as hard as I can. It really has ruined my life in every sense of the phrase.

I'm sorry to hear this. What age do you think this all started at? Do you have any idea what caused it, anyone in your family have any similar symtoms?

Stalker27

Established Member
+1 I have developed bad anxiety the past few months making the transition from highschool to College and I guess just a big transition in my life. I get really bad Attacks and have fallen to the ground on 1 ocassion. I have thrown up from them too. I should be having an appointment this weekend.

EDIT: My symptons include:

Dizzyness
Fast Heartbeat
Trouble breathing
Nausea
Tinglyness (sp?)
Weakness
Have to poop lol
Everything basically seems out of sorts

I know I don't know what dieing feels like; but for that 5 or so minutes when I'm having a Panic/Anxiety attack I feel like I'm going to die. I just feel completely awful. It's really hard to explain to someone who doesn't have anxiety attacks... some of you may be reading this like WTF?

I had & the same symptoms & had my doctor give me Beta Blockers. So far they really help. I can tell when it wears off cause my heart starts beating harder & my hands shake. I pop a pill & about 30min to an hour later i feel much better
Beta blocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Venom_nitrous

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear this. What age do you think this all started at? Do you have any idea what caused it, anyone in your family have any similar symtoms?

I do have an idea what caused it, but it doesn't need to be brought up in public. It started my 3rd year of HS. You can see it plain as day. My grades went from A-A-A-A-A-A one semester to D-D-D-F-F-F the next. I have never pulled over a 2.0 GPA since yet my ACT score was a 31 and my IQ was mesured at 139 (95th percentile). The test wasn't an internet one either, it was the WAIS administer when I was hospitalized the first time. No one in my family has anything like it that I know of.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I don't think I have anxiety, but I get extremely nervous when I become the "spot light", ill blush and start sweating uncontrollably and I'm very upset about what I think others think of me. Usually when I'm tired though its less of a problem.

I have my own form of medication where I basically do some mindless zombie thing and after a while it clears my mind. And it helps me stay calm.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Try to stay away from medication, especially Xanax. Xanax is only for a serious situation where you need instant relief. Everyone's brain is a little different. Your doctor basically has to make a blind guess on which medication is best for you. You might have bad side effects if that medication is not best for you. Back when I had anxiety, I went through 2 different meds before I got the right one. It's all a mental hurdle you have to get over, medications can only help, not eliminate it.

Very good info right here, my wife has anxiety and was put on xanax years ago. Xanax is a very addictive drug and needs to be used in a controlled manner and only on a as needed basis. If xanax is the only route prescribed, be sure to taper off this drug over time, do not, I repeat DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY!!! The withdrawals from xanax are said to be worse than withdrawing from heroine.

On occasion, I feel what I would guess is an anxiety attack, I just man up and get over it. I'm one never to take any type of pill though, even if prescribed.

95'lightning

Established Member
my wife has anxiety/ panic attacks, they were bad a few years ago but now she has some pills she keeps with her to take if she is out some place and it hits. saying that it is few and far between now. my dad has anxiety/ depression, thats a different thing all together. like someone said before, anxiety can be linked to depression and if yours is yoiu need to be carefull. from what I have seen in my family it can get bad quick. everyone is doing better, from a balance of meds and talking to some one ( shrink, etc. ) i hope nothing but the best for you.

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
Honestly people might laugh or try to say the BS flag on me, but what helped me in the most part, was praying after wards. The night after my father passing i felt the world was closing in! non-stopped sweating, heart pounding, headaches, tingling and small migranes, un-touch to reality. I felt i was going to have heart attack, a stroke, a fear of death. It went on for a week or, i looked like a walking zombie and i was at a point that the ending was near for me for the dis belief of my dads death,and the thought of losing both parents at a young age.. i could not even drive for the fear i was going to panic or go through a "episode".. my supervisor at work called me one day to check up on me, i told him about my experience and he quickly recommended a phycologist... He gave me a number and i went ahead and schedule an appoinment. the first visit with a phycologist,and for a minute of talking about my past experience of my life,and the phases of losing the people i love( both parents,best friend, ect). She concluded i was in a deep depression and needed medication. She told me i was in the road of having a heart attact ect.. She told me i needed to check myself in a hospital ASAP, for quick medication that she recommended me as well. At the very list,i saw a list of 5 different prescription!.. I looked at the lady,and told her i was in sad phase of my life,and i was going through darkness due to the recent death of my dad and i did'nt need medication.. She still persisted to go. I left that day,drove home,ignoring her advise.. later that night,sure enough i was in for another panic attack, thinking over my fathers sudden death, dealing with the though of having future problems (negativity thinking)and who to go with for advise,ect ect.. i just quickly prayed, i got down on my knees and prayed. You can call me crasy,you can say whatever you feel, but one thing,it worked for me. It relieved me in my emotional state, it gave me a sence of hope, and for the 30 min or so, i was able to sleep. Till this day and age, i havent gone through a panic attack( 7 years now), i just know, in my personal experience, someone helped me and i was not alone. This does'nt mean it help others at all, every body is different, im only sharing what has happend to me in my past.

justav6

Last edited:

homer302

Banned
Since everybody else is sharing.......

X10 on the drugs aren't the answer like everyone has already said. All they do is mask symptoms but don't cure anything as far as what is causing it.
I have only had 1 panic attack but it was the craziest thing I have ever felt.
On top of that it was the stupidest place to have one but I couldn't control it or help it.

I was grown (over 25) and I was getting a hair cut. Yep, you read it right. I was stone sober and I don't do drugs or take any prescription meds. I felt weird when I sat down and then as the minutes passed by I started getting nervous and shaky. I finally had to stop her and get up BEFORE she was done cutting my hair and leave. I still to this day have no idea what happened. I just had this overwhelming desire to get out of there that I could not control. She had cut it many times before and many times since. :shrug:
After reading all the others I guess it's not that strange after all.

pharmd2010

Established Member
Since everybody else is sharing.......

X10 on the drugs aren't the answer like everyone has already said. All they do is mask symptoms but don't cure anything as far as what is causing it.
I have only had 1 panic attack but it was the craziest thing I have ever felt.
On top of that it was the stupidest place to have one but I couldn't control it or help it.

Easy on bashing the drugs now, I'm trying to make a living! (legally, of course)

Seriously though, my thoughts on anxiety after all the teaching I've had in school about it and my experiences with patients, as well as with members of my family and friends who have anxiety are this. You do need to find what causes the anxiety. Many times there actually is something causing it even if you don't think there is. And lifestyle changes can help too. As several of you have mentioned even the foods you eat can influence how you feel. Exercise is a key player as well. Drugs are not necessarily bad, you just have to respect them. The ones most of you are referring to are our benzo friends- xanax, ativan, klonipin, valium, etc are potentially habit forming. But there are non-habit forming drugs too, such as buspar or even some depression medications have been shown to help. Go to the doctor and see what they say. Good luck!

John4cam

Established Member
I really believe exercise is a key part for myself, I went back to work and I'm already feeling better. Every winter I get laid off for a short time working in the construction field, sometimes a little longer depending on weather ect.

I did a little research and found anxiety is NOT a mental problem, it's your body releasing adrenaline at the wrong times and your mind carries the effects. Pretty interesting..

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I have like social anxiety but its not been "diagnosed" but I can tell something is wrong when I walk into any crowded public place and fear everyone around me. Well its more like I am REALLY not confortable, cant relax and feel like everyone is watching me. I guess i should see a doctor but **** that. I just deal with it by not going to crowded places as much as possible.

mustangkid05

Established Member
I have like social anxiety but its not been "diagnosed" but I can tell something is wrong when I walk into any crowded public place and fear everyone around me. Well its more like I am REALLY not confortable, cant relax and feel like everyone is watching me. I guess i should see a doctor but **** that. I just deal with it by not going to crowded places as much as possible.

thats exactly how i am, but if it is me and a 2 people i am fine, and when i meet people i don't know i get really jumpy

Users who are viewing this thread