Another "whats it worth thread"

Dassar

Hey guys, so unfortunately a friend of mine was involved in an accident and killed recently. He had just finished putting together his 04 Cobra and now his widow has asked me to give her an estimation of what I think the car is worth. I'm hoping for some input form here to help me/her out. The car was just put together, probably 10 miles or so on the setup. I'll list what I know:

04 Cobra

Fresh motor with
CP Pistons
Oliver Rods
stock heads/cams
01 cobra intake
meziere electric water pump
CG Fab hotside (single)
2 Tial 38mm gates
BW s485 billet wheel
Division x rails
Holley 160lb injectors
2 walbro 465s
Holley Dominator EFI
Race Pak in dash
T56 with 26 spline
mcleod twin disc
UPR K-member
QA1 coilovers
Currently sitting on cobra wheels, but has 2 15x10 WELD RTS's with QTPs on them to go with the car
Has a cage, however the welds on it are iffy. Also they appear to have just used a sawzaw to cut room for the cage. :frown2:
2 Corebeau buckets (no back seat/headliner)
Battery relocated to the trunk, with a cutoff switch but no battery box

adams%20cobra_zpsav8zvt2w.jpg

20170226_163209_zpsovoninn9.jpg

The car still needs a tune. I guess the dominator has a learn feature that is ok for soft driving around, but it has not seen the rollers or boost yet. Thats really all I know, and I don't have alot of pics. Any input you gents have is appreciated.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I would say 20k, depending on what this looks like: "Also they appear to have just used a saw to cut room for the cage."

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
First off, sorry to hear of your friend.

How many miles are on the chassis? Was it all home built or from a reputable shop? Receipts for all the work in to it? All that will have an impact on the value. Also being so heavily modified do they want to get max value out of it by waiting for the right buyer or do they just want to move it quickly?

Dassar

Thanks for the responses, and thanks to the mods for moving this to the right location.

The cage was itself is decent, but where it is welded in looks pretty bad and the spot where it goes through the rear seat area is hacked up rather than cleanly cut. I don't have pics of it unfortunately.

She is in the process of trying to get access to his old credit card statements as most of the receipts are MIA. He built the motor himself, and she is not in a hurry, just looking for a ball park. I was guesstimating around 17-18, and possibly around 20 if she still gets it tuned and has the dyno sheet. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't too far off.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That seems really high to me for a home built Cobra.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Most people would see poor welds/cuts and view them as red flags since if the cage cuts were made haphazard who knows about the motor build process (no saying your friend did a bad job, I just know this is where my mind would go).

If the chassis is lower miles and otherwise clean would be worth it to have the hacked interior parts replaced (maybe pull the cage if its not worth saving) just to present a cleaner build which will bring more money.

Even still as mentioned its an all homebuilt deal, parting back out to stock would most likely yield the most money.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Thanks for the responses, and thanks to the mods for moving this to the right location.

The cage was itself is decent, but where it is welded in looks pretty bad and the spot where it goes through the rear seat area is hacked up rather than cleanly cut. I don't have pics of it unfortunately.

She is in the process of trying to get access to his old credit card statements as most of the receipts are MIA. He built the motor himself, and she is not in a hurry, just looking for a ball park. I was guesstimating around 17-18, and possibly around 20 if she still gets it tuned and has the dyno sheet. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't too far off.

Being home built, I'd have to drop my estimate down to the 13-15 range.

Dassar

Thanks for the input fellas. Unfortunately, going back to stock isn't an option. I also have no way of knowing the chassis miles since the stock pcm/cluster are out...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the input fellas. Unfortunately, going back to stock isn't an option. I also have no way of knowing the chassis miles since the stock pcm/cluster are out...

The more I hear, the more I draw the conclusion to it not being worth much.

nxhappy

Established Member
hmmm...might make more money parting it out as a roller...

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear about you're friend. As for the cobra, I'm with the other guys, probably best to part it out, or ask 17k and see what people offer you/her for the car.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Way more money parting it out. Not a option for her though I'm sure. I think the above is correct. Ask 16-17 and see what happens.

s351

Established Member
Everyone here is correct, the car is just way to much of an unknown. A car that's without a tune is a massive red flag. Get the car running and driving and the value will go up.

Users who are viewing this thread