Another what vehicle thread? Something larger with a decent tow rating.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
To make a long story short, we are in the process of waiting to find out of my Edge Sport is going to be totaled or not.

I love the Edge, has all the features I want, but it doesn't tow very well. It struggles with my 19ft boat, so I probably won't be getting another.

I really want a truck, but I sell real estate for a living and drive around 50k miles a year, so gas mileage is a huge concern. So the only truck option I have contemplated is an Ecoboost, but the 4 door 4x4 are out of my price range.

Right now I think I have narrowed it down to an 2011+ Explorer Limited, or a 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

Any other suggestions?

Budget is around 25k.

Last edited:

2000gt4.6

Established Member
After searching auto trader it looks like only the base model/2 door ones are under 30 yet. Too bad

jenkins_1120

Established Member
depends on options. i have a 07 ram almost fully loaded its tows great. i did add airbags to help keep things level. i wouldnt waste money on a 1500 diesel if you tow alot or have a bunch of hills get a 2500.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
depends on options. i have a 07 ram almost fully loaded its tows great. i did add airbags to help keep things level. i wouldnt waste money on a 1500 diesel if you tow alot or have a bunch of hills get a 2500.

I really don't tow a lot, but I do want to step up to a larger boat soon and want something that is capable of pulling it.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Have you considered an older diesel for tow duty and a smaller economy car for DD. It might work out better for you considering you drive 50k miles a year, that is a lot less gas cost with a small econobox as the DD.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
We have a 2011 Explorer Limited 4WD. I've never calculated the fuel mileage, but I can tell you the $40+ dollar fill ups seem to happen pretty often. I can't imagine it's any better than an F150. I would just get the truck if you don't need a 3rd row or tons of cargo space inside the vehicle.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
We have a 2011 Explorer Limited 4WD. I've never calculated the fuel mileage, but I can tell you the $40+ dollar fill ups seem to happen pretty often. I can't imagine it's any better than an F150. I would just get the truck if you don't need a 3rd row or tons of cargo space inside the vehicle.

I figured it would be similar to my edge, around 25 give or take, no?

Ecoboost F150.

This is my number 1, but it is out of my price range, and I really don't want an increased payment at this point. Anything in my range has 100k miles. I would only want a lariat or fx4.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
If you want to stick with an SUV that gets good gas mileage and tows well, I absolutely love my '08 Grand Cherokee CRD. It's a Mercedes diesel that is damn near bulletproof and the NAG1 trans is pretty stout as well. I typically get around 23 mpg on my 150 mile highway commute each day, plus it has a 7400 lb towing capacity. You can get a tune from GDE and delete the DPF to bump the power and torque to ~245/450 respectively, plus people have been reporting upwards of 28 mpg after the tune. I only paid $18k for my Limited QTII with 55k miles, you can still find low mileage Overland 4x4s as well.

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
I love my 2014 ram 1500. Gave 26k for it new, quad cab hemi with 3.92 rear, I think the tow rating is around 10,500 lbs. Fuel mileage isn't great, highway I've managed about 22 on a trip. Mixed is around 17/18. But I drive 100% city now and average 13

08mojo

Established Member
If you want to stick with an SUV that gets good gas mileage and tows well, I absolutely love my '08 Grand Cherokee CRD. It's a Mercedes diesel that is damn near bulletproof and the NAG1 trans is pretty stout as well. I typically get around 23 mpg on my 150 mile highway commute each day, plus it has a 7400 lb towing capacity. You can get a tune from GDE and delete the DPF to bump the power and torque to ~245/450 respectively, plus people have been reporting upwards of 28 mpg after the tune. I only paid $18k for my Limited QTII with 55k miles, you can still find low mileage Overland 4x4s as well.

^this! I wish I had gone the CRD route with our grand cherokee. I got a good deal on ours, but wish I'd held out for the diesel.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I figured it would be similar to my edge, around 25 give or take, no?

This is my number 1, but it is out of my price range, and I really don't want an increased payment at this point. Anything in my range has 100k miles. I would only want a lariat or fx4.

I'd be surprised if we were getting that many MPG, it's only ever driven in town though.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I haven't, as I don't think the size would be adequate. I think I am heavily leaning towards an 11-12 grand cherokee overland.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have a 2010 BMW X5 diesel
Picked it up at your budget and it gets 19 city with 26 highway and tows 6,000 lbs
It has amazing torque

Users who are viewing this thread