Another SCT story of whoa

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Not that we should have to think about this but a PCM from Tousley Ford shouldn't be much more than $300, plus initial IDS programming.

acrbill

Established Member
$464 plus a $100 core from Tousley. My dealer would probably charge me a full hours labor to set it up.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Hmm, either my parts guy misquoted me or prices have gone up recently. Sad we should even have to wonder about that.

acrbill

Established Member
Hmm, either my parts guy misquoted me or prices have gone up recently. Sad we should even have to wonder about that.

There are several ECUs and they vary in price. I have an auto car so there is a whole extra board in there most likely.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Thats one way to look at it. Most products seem to have a warranty and I have had this tuner for 2 years I am not sure I can really complain although I am doing so.

In my eyes that's the only way to look at it. It's not like it has wear items. And the problems are seem to be directly related to SCT's software updates. Good luck, hope you don't have to by an ECU.

ViciousJay

Established Member
In my eyes that's the only way to look at it. It's not like it has wear items. And the problems are seem to be directly related to SCT's software updates. Good luck, hope you don't have to by an ECU.

im considering buying one just as a spare and for tuning and then swapping them out if i need to go to the dealer... i really dont want to take any chances any longer with my car

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
That will definitely be the safest way in an attempt to maintain warranty when tuning.

86merc

Established Member
im considering buying one just as a spare and for tuning and then swapping them out if i need to go to the dealer... i really dont want to take any chances any longer with my car

It does not work that way. You can't just throw a different PCM in the car and fire it up like the older cars.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I believe it was posted once before that the PCMs are vin and key Locked so you would have to take it to ford and have them code it to your car even if it's the same PCM code.

you have to have them code it everytime i were to remove? thats just plain silly, the ECU is dumber then an ipod i cant see how it would not function after being set up once :shrug:

of course you would have to have a tech set it up the first time but after that it should be a pull the battery and swap ecu's with no trouble

86merc

Established Member
I am telling you it doesn't work. You can buy a new PCM and have it linked to your car. Then go home and install the old one. I know a local guy that would LOVE to sell you his extra PCM. BWAHAHAHA Trust the people on here that have already tried it or are Ford techs, it will not work like you want it to.

Ford has it set up that way so people don't do exactly what you want to do. The car has the equivalent to a air plane's "black box'. It records a ton of stuff. They want to be able to see exactly what is going on with the car. Linking the PCM to the car and strategy code helps them prevent tampering. Ford does not want people and tuners messing with their stuff. And after seeing the motor claims after the tuners had a #8 piston problem can you blame Ford and their warranty department? haha

ViciousJay

Established Member
I am telling you it doesn't work. You can buy a new PCM and have it linked to your car. Then go home and install the old one. I know a local guy that would LOVE to sell you his extra PCM. BWAHAHAHA Trust the people on here that have already tried it or are Ford techs, it will not work like you want it to.

Ford has it set up that way so people don't do exactly what you want to do. The car has the equivalent to a air plane's "black box'. It records a ton of stuff. They want to be able to see exactly what is going on with the car. Linking the PCM to the car and strategy code helps them prevent tampering. Ford does not want people and tuners messing with their stuff. And after seeing the motor claims after the tuners had a #8 piston problem can you blame Ford and their warranty department? haha

whos local that did that?

86merc

Established Member
whos local that did that?

Angel, UWISHU1 (screen name and plate on his 2001 GT) had his car just die on him while driving. Our buddy Drew was a Ford Tech at the time had him try some stuff. Nothing worked. The SCT tuner would not communicate at all with the car. So he had to get it towed to the dealer. The dealer could not get their equiptment to communicate with the PCM either. It is his daily driver so he had them fix it. They bought a new PCM and programmed it to the car. PCM was like $650 and labor was another $350. Car runs fine but he hates the stock tune. haha

He sent the PCM and SCT handheld to SCT per their request. They said the PCM was fine and the SCT handheld was updated to the new firmware. He tried to confirm the PCM was fine by installing it back into the car. It would not start the car. Put the new PCM in and it fired right back up.

As a side note, the car had not had a tune reflashed into it in over a month when the car died. So how a SCT handheld firmware that came out after his last flash caused the problem is beyond me. And unless he wants the dealer to install the original PCM into the car for another $150-$350 he does not have a way to confirm the original PCM is fine. And if it doesn't work it would cost him more to get the newer PCM redone to work with the car again. Talk about a nightmare.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Angel, UWISHU1 (screen name and plate on his 2001 GT) had his car just die on him while driving. Our buddy Drew was a Ford Tech at the time had him try some stuff. Nothing worked. The SCT tuner would not communicate at all with the car. So he had to get it towed to the dealer. The dealer could not get their equiptment to communicate with the PCM either. It is his daily driver so he had them fix it. They bought a new PCM and programmed it to the car. PCM was like $650 and labor was another $350. Car runs fine but he hates the stock tune. haha

He sent the PCM and SCT handheld to SCT per their request. They said the PCM was fine and the SCT handheld was updated to the new firmware. He tried to confirm the PCM was fine by installing it back into the car. It would not start the car. Put the new PCM in and it fired right back up.

As a side note, the car had not had a tune reflashed into it in over a month when the car died. So how a SCT handheld firmware that came out after his last flash caused the problem is beyond me. And unless he wants the dealer to install the original PCM into the car for another $150-$350 he does not have a way to confirm the original PCM is fine. And if it doesn't work it would cost him more to get the newer PCM redone to work with the car again. Talk about a nightmare.

Ah yes CMC... ive been following that thread there. After reading like 8 pages into it think his PCM is fried

86merc

Established Member
SCT says the PCM is fine. But he is not willing to spend the money to find out. And I do not blame him. SCT said they would cover his $1,000 bill because they stand behind their product. But the other day when I asked about it he had not received any money. And said now they were not carrying the same attitude and service they were before. So still an open situation for now.

ViciousJay

Established Member
SCT says the PCM is fine. But he is not willing to spend the money to find out. And I do not blame him. SCT said they would cover his $1,000 bill because they stand behind their product. But the other day when I asked about it he had not received any money. And said now they were not carrying the same attitude and service they were before. So still an open situation for now.

thats BS, SCT could actually find themselves in a lawsuit. Something desnt sound right about the ECU

86merc

Established Member
I have no clue. Just the info I was given.

But anyways, no, swapping the PCM like you were talking about doing will not work for you.

acrbill

Established Member
I heard that the Diesel tuner guys swap ECUs since that is a real hot button issue since diesel motors are very expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread