Another SCT story of whoa

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
I got the beta update last Friday. 5 days later, same problem, just not as severe..

did you check the firmware number to assure you got the beta version? we flashed his pcm 8 or 9 times for tunes and went back to stock twice with no issues.

Cuco5.0

Established Member
Call SCT and speak to Taylor. I was on the phone with him on friday for 2 hours and he was able to get me back on the road. I agree with the woes of SCT's latest update, but, i have yet to call SCT once that they have not been more than helpful. Ooo and he was on the phone with me till 8:30 on a friday night to get me home from work. If he is not available via phone, you can contact him through the live chat on their website.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
unless you get real lucky like me and the SCT tech bricks the handheld. I had to send my ECU and handheld to them in FL. They were able to recover it.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Seriously considering flashing back to stock, replacing cats, and stock air box this weekend and selling everything. This is complete bullshit and I never want to deal with this headache. I was also amazed the first time I loaded a tune with the SCT and it took over 10 minutes. I could swap tunes on my STI in about 3-5.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Seriously considering flashing back to stock, replacing cats, and stock air box this weekend and selling everything. This is complete bullshit and I never want to deal with this headache. I was also amazed the first time I loaded a tune with the SCT and it took over 10 minutes. I could swap tunes on my STI in about 3-5.

supposedly the Diablo Trinity loads in that time frame but who tunes for it first off and second its like $800 :( bummer. Heck i heard on another site that the Intune takes forever to load as well... not sounding very good to me... that sounds like it can have its own can of worms sooner then later

CPRsm

Yeah, for whatever reason replacing the stock tune takes forever. If you change to another aftermarket tune, it goes much much faster. Like pump to race gas tune,'probably 3 min or so.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Yeah just seems like they are content with "super nintendo hardware" in a PS3/360 era.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I was trying to give them some credit. Overall the functions that the device performs are more than many people would have dreamed of 20 years ago. NES or SNES no matter, we are still having to take the cartridge out do the old blow on the contacts, cross fingers, and hope for the best. But when you see what Cobb, Banks, and others are doing with hardware at the same price point it really makes you scratch your head.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I was trying to give them some credit. Overall the functions that the device performs are more than many people would have dreamed of 20 years ago. NES or SNES no matter, we are still having to take the cartridge out do the old blow on the contacts, cross fingers, and hope for the best. But when you see what Cobb, Banks, and others are doing with hardware at the same price point it really makes you scratch your head.

thats why us americans are looked at like slack jawed yokels when it comes to performance parts and racing, everything you explained above

acrbill

Established Member
UPDATE.

I got back in touch with SCT today after work. They remotely connected again and wiped the device and reinstalled everything. They then took the stock file that I saved to my PC and emailed it to another department who turned it into a file that they could load back into the device. Once that was all taken care of I went out to the car and was able to return the car back to stock.

So here is what I learned from this experience that I would like to pass on to everyone.

If you rely on your car be sure you flash your car during SCT tech support working hours which I believe are 9am-6pm EST.

Be dang sure that you back up your stock file onto your PC. When I told the tech I had the file he said that is great news. He said most of the time you will end up having the car towed to Ford to be reflashed.

I hate the stock tune on the auto but I think I will keep it for the time being. LOL

acrbill

Established Member
I got off of work early today so I took a stab at putting a tune back onto my car.

I tried two different tunes and neither of them took. The first one just said error when I tried to adjust parameters and the second actually went through the process and errored out at the end. Luckily the car still works. I think this is pretty much the time when SCT and I are parting ways.

lawnmower22

Established Member

^^^THIS

My Cobb APv2 was great!

acrbill

Established Member
One interesting bit that I had read about when going nuts on Google that was confirmed by Shaun at AED.
If you do not have good voltage when doing a flash the tune can get interrupted which will brick the ECU. I think about how close I was to doing this. I tried over and over again to fix my issue after my car wouldn't start. I also kept the negative battery terminal loose as I was flashing because I had it disconnected in an effort to clear the ECU somehow. I am going to dig out my battery charger and keep it on hand if I ever attempt to tune my car again.

The truth is that driving an untuned auto car sucks. Throttle lag and grandma shifts are killing me. I keep looking at that Diablo Intune but I wonder what their customer service is like. SCT seems unreliable but their customer service rocks. Beyond that, I have some awesome tunes in my SCT library and it would be difficult to jump ship.

lawnmower22

Established Member
That's a good point about the voltage but if you left your negative terminal loose there could also be issues with weak grounds. Every ground on the car, including the ecu, goes back to that negative terminal.

I am also keeping an eye on the InnTune thread. I don't really care about the imprint on the ecu but I do want a reliable device to flash with. My only hold back is the limited tuner support. I have been pm'ing AED about getting tuned by them. It's hard to trust just anyone with tuning your car haha.

acrbill

Established Member
So I got in contact with SCT today about the failure to load issue. The guy asked a few questions and had me go out to my car and try to load a strategy tune. While I was out there the call dropped. I waited the few minutes for the tune to load and I still got an error code so I called back. Waited on hold for several minutes and got another tech. He said the other tech would probably call me back soon but he started to help me anyhow.

He did the remote PC deal again and updated my SCT PC software and flashed the tuner with some sort of file. He mentioned a few times that he could not believe the other tech did not call me back.

I went out to the car again and tried another strategy tune. No dice once again.

They issued me a return number and now I have ship the handheld back to them on my dime.

acrbill

Established Member
That's BS!

Thats one way to look at it. Most products seem to have a warranty and I have had this tuner for 2 years I am not sure I can really complain although I am doing so.

I can almost care less if the tuner shit the bed, I am more worried about it taking my $650 ECU with it.

I took my offroad H and Hushpowers off for the winter. The car now sounds like a Taurus and with the stock tune it seems to accelerate like one too. LOL

The stock auto tune kind of lags a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread