Another SCT story of whoa

acrbill

Established Member
I know there is several posts on the subject but I think having multiple posts will help bring these issues to the fore front.

I have had my SCT handheld for a few years now. I originally had it for my 2011 manual and kept it when I got my 2011 auto. I have had dozens of tunes without issue. Until today.

This past weekend I took off my offroad H and swapped my stocker back on so I flashed the car back to stock. Yesterday I attempted to put my VMP tune onto my handheld and when I started the software up it said I needed some updates. I went ahead and updated the firmware but was unable to update the tune file. I emailed SCT today and they said I had to call in. I called in after work and they took control of my PC remotely and were able to get the update to stick.

I loaded up my tune and went out to my car. When I attempted to load the VMP tune (which I have used in the past) it gave me an error message and my dashboard lit up and every warning possible was spit out at me. The error said to return the car to stock. This did not work. I tried a number of times with the same result. The dash goes nuts and the car does not start.

I did a lot of google searching and while the outlook seems positive for a fix there is that ever looming possibility that I bricked the ECU. I have tried to disconnect the battery and pull fuses to no avail. I emailed SCT back with my story and I attached the stock file that I dumped onto my PC. I will be calling them as soon as I get home from work tomorrow with hopes they can get me straightened out.

Mind you this was all done with the most recent firmware fix in place.

I will be updating this thread with anything noteworthy.

gimpy2011

Established Member
They will most likely have to make you a recovery file to get the car back functioning again. I had the same thing happen to my car 2 times now and they were able to get it sorted out both times.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I don't believe in the updates. My motto with hand held tuner is, if its not broke it doesn't need updating. To many troubles with SCT and firmware updates. I had the same thing happen to my Lightning. (back in 08) SCT had to update the hand held themselves. I had it done at a NMRA event. I was lucky SCT was there along with JDM to reload the race tune.

ViciousJay

Established Member
How long did you leave the battery unhooked, to get my stock tune sck on I left the battery disconnected for about 20 mins

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The other thing I don't understand about SCT is how long it takes to load a tune into my 2012 Mustang. Almost 10 minutes. It takes less than 3 minutes with my Diablo Trinity on the same car.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
SCT should be able to get this sorted out. I refuse to update my SCT now after a headache that I had with a similar situation to yours. Before you do any updates on your device, you should always return your vehicle to stock.

I was at the track and had a few failed uploads when I was changing my neutral rev limiter, I let the car sit for about 15 minutes and reloaded the stock tune, then reloaded the custom tune and it worked like a charm.

acrbill

Established Member
They will most likely have to make you a recovery file to get the car back functioning again. I had the same thing happen to my car 2 times now and they were able to get it sorted out both times.

same issue with the crazy dash lights and all?

I disconnected the battery for 10 mins, then 20, then I disconnected both terminals and touched them together for 30 seconds. Then I pulled all the bsu and ecu fuses and finally I left them disconnected for an hour.

No dice.

Jay, are you really thinking of selling the 13? If I didn't just switch careers yet again I would trade this heap in for a Raptor.

I will say that SCT has some stellar customer service so far.

coyotestang

Established Member
mines acting wierd also,i was turning my idle up on my tune and it worked fine but after it completed and i disconnected the sct my car wouldnt start. it was acting like the battery was dead. i waited about a minute and then it started.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
This just happened to me again today. Last week it cost me most of a day's work. Before going to the track with the intention of loading a race tune I changed tunes back and forth several times with no issues. Get to the track feeling like my SCT woes are over, go to load the race tune and voila, download failed and the usual smorgasbord of warning lights and dashes in the odo.

This time around though, I was able to get through the unlocking portion of return to stock just fine, the load would fail just after that.

I have always thought that disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching it to the positive was a much quicker way to reset KAM and clear whatever caps or other memory devices are in the PCM.. no! I tried this several times to no avail, what ended up working was what most everybody says, leave the battery disconnected for a good 15 minutes. Then I was able to return to stock and then load my race tune.

I seem to have a better success rate loading tunes with the SCT connected to the laptop and getting more power there? My car's a 2012, the electrical system is up to snuff I assure you.

Then you have the goofs that say 'you're doing it wrong'.. uh, how is that? A 3 year old could follow the instructions on the screen, unfortunately following the prompts certainly doesn't guarantee success.

Nice job, SCT, your product blows goats.

edit: should probably mention that even after successfully reloading the tune, my advancetrac/ abs warning lights are all on. It was actually handy, didn't have to worry about turning traction control off. This happened with my first SCT tune load failure (at 3 total now) and I had to reprogram the ABS module using an IDS, it's a VIN mismatch network code. Again, awesome.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
This just happened to me again today. Last week it cost me most of a day's work. Before going to the track with the intention of loading a race tune I changed tunes back and forth several times with no issues. Get to the track feeling like my SCT woes are over, go to load the race tune and voila, download failed and the usual smorgasbord of warning lights and dashes in the odo.

This time around though, I was able to get through the unlocking portion of return to stock just fine, the load would fail just after that.

I have always thought that disconnecting the negative battery cable and touching it to the positive was a much quicker way to reset KAM and clear whatever caps or other memory devices are in the PCM.. no! I tried this several times to no avail, what ended up working was what most everybody says, leave the battery disconnected for a good 15 minutes. Then I was able to return to stock and then load my race tune.

I seem to have a better success rate loading tunes with the SCT connected to the laptop and getting more power there? My car's a 2012, the electrical system is up to snuff I assure you.

Then you have the goofs that say 'you're doing it wrong'.. uh, how is that? A 3 year old could follow the instructions on the screen, unfortunately following the prompts certainly doesn't guarantee success.

you're doing it wrong

CPRsm

Hopefully it's not ****ed. We lost one I think before most started having problems. A while after I put the new ecu in, it happened again. Same as you, lots of lights, security light, keys do nothing. We do 3 files and none worked before he updates the tuner to an older firmware. Instead of the key starting the upload, this one was initiated by the select on the hand held. Got it loaded and no problem since. He made it a point to tell me not to update the firmware. Hopefully you can find someone who will do you the same and you get it figured out man.

I'llmsee if I can find what version it was for you

texaswrx

Established Member
I only updated due to the fact I had to for data logging. It took forever to update. I was lucky and had no issues. Yet.

mikestoyz

Established Member
This is ridiculous!
Im glad my update went smoothly, but now Ill be afraid to load any tunes when the car isnt in my driveway.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Jay, are you really thinking of selling the 13? If I didn't just switch careers yet again I would trade this heap in for a Raptor.

I will say that SCT has some stellar customer service so far.

If i do im looking at a s/c land rover or jaguar or something along the lines of more luxury... maybe even a CTS-V

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I haven't updated my firmware in months. I have three tunes on my handheld and I have no problem switching around between them. This kind of stuff certainly is scary.

Mike

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
Hey guys this already happen to a buddy of mine. All you have to do is call SCT and they will make you a recovery file to load back up. the SCT guy gave my friend the new beta firmware updated and we have loaded multiple tunes and gone back to stock with no issues. ask for the beta update.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Hey guys this already happen to a buddy of mine. All you have to do is call SCT and they will make you a recovery file to load back up. the SCT guy gave my friend the new beta firmware updated and we have loaded multiple tunes and gone back to stock with no issues. ask for the beta update.

I got the beta update last Friday. 5 days later, same problem, just not as severe..

ViciousJay

Established Member

edit: should probably mention that even after successfully reloading the tune, my advancetrac/ abs warning lights are all on. It was actually handy, didn't have to worry about turning traction control off. This happened with my first SCT tune load failure (at 3 total now) and I had to reprogram the ABS module using an IDS, it's a VIN mismatch network code. Again, awesome.

i had all these issues!

Bushguts

Established Member
Wow, I'm glad I didn't take the plunge and order this yet. I'm planning on supercharging with the ford package so I will just use their tune and save myself all the headaches you guys have had. The more research I do on the Sct the more issues I have found people have.

Users who are viewing this thread