Another Mustang Down

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The rear bumper is spiderwebbed due to someone hitting the car, or backing it into something.

The inner door panel insert that houses the window and lock buttons is busted. An attempt to repair it was made, and now there is a bigger mess. I've been looking all morning for a salvage part off of a convertible that I can refinish. So far no luck. New they are about $80.

I had to help the winshield installer reattach the pillar covers. For some reason he thought the mounting tabs should have been bent differently, so he bent them as he saw fit. The clips that held the covers on were damaged as well. I got that sorted out.

The alignment on the car still sucks. It wants to pull to the right, and the steering wheel is aimed to the right.

I also noticed an exhaust leak today.

The paint itself is as close to flawless as possible. Everything else is screwed up.

I just received a message from the shop telling me to take the car back to the alignment shop and have it inspected. Really? This is a shop issue that the insurance paid for. The shop needs to take the time to have the job done correctly.

If anyone has a convertible door insert, let me know. I don't have the $80 to put into a new one. It was hard enough getting the car out of the shop yesterday.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Dash is back together. I changed the color of the center console for a bit of contrast.

20180831_004803.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The car should be headed back to the shop next week to have the mysterious rear bumper damage repaired. The photo is what happened while the car was in the shop. Accidents happen. I just wish it had been caught and taken care of before I had to deal with it.

I'm still proud of the work performed on the front end that was originally damaged. I just wish they had owned up to the other issues.

I guess I can call having the rear bumper cover resprayed a win.

20180831_185848.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The more that I mess with my car, the more I find wrong.

The shop some how messed up my windshield washer nozzles, and simply placed the wiper cowl on the car without any clips.

I haven't pulled the cowl yet. I'm afraid that I will find broken tabs where the clips belong.

Why is there so much incompetence? Why can't people take their time and do the job correctly.

I also found a scratch on the bottom of the deck lid and chipped paint on the skirting. This is after finding the impact damage to the rear bumper, the inner door panel insert broken, overspray on another section of the skirting, etc.

I know that I am peculiar, and an extreme perfectionist, but stuff like this is ridiculous.

If you're not going to do your job right, dont do it at all. Let someone else have the job you don't want. Apparently they don't care.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry you're finding issues to deal with. I hope in the end you'll be very pleased with the finished product.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Sorry you're finding issues to deal with. I hope in the end you'll be very pleased with the finished product.
In the end I have a lot of paint correction. People and their lack of drive and integrity truly piss me off.

Do your job, follow through, and take some pride in what you do.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The car should be headed back to the shop next week to have the mysterious rear bumper damage repaired. The photo is what happened while the car was in the shop. Accidents happen. I just wish it had been caught and taken care of before I had to deal with it.

I'm still proud of the work performed on the front end that was originally damaged. I just wish they had owned up to the other issues.

I guess I can call having the rear bumper cover resprayed a win.

View attachment 1514073

I might have missed the answer a few posts back, but why did you accept the car with this damage to the rear bumper?

I doubt you missed it on your final walk around before taking the car home. That short walk probably took you and the shop guy a few hours to complete even at a feverish pace.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Not understanding you. A factory cowl comes with W/S applied. It also has the friction clips. Was it an aftermarket cowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weather stripping is fine. Whoever installed the cowl after the winshield just laid the thing in place and put the wipers back on. The hood and weather stripping are what is keeping the cowl in place.

Even better, I have one washer nozzle that sprays a straight stream, and one that sprays over the top of the car.

How do you screw up washer nozzles?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I might have missed the answer a few posts back, but why did you accept the car with this damage to the rear bumper?

I doubt you missed it on your final walk around before taking the car home. That short walk probably took you and the shop guy a few hours to complete even at a feverish pace.

I have known the man that took care of my care of my shop for 10 years. He used to own a coffee shop and bar that I played music at. I showed him the damage. He acknowledged the damage. We went back and checked the photos of the car before work began. He said nothing was conclusive, so I asked him to forward the photos to me. I ended up struggling to get the pictures. The damage was not there before the car was at the shop.

I picked the car up after hours, and the rental car was returned. My so called friend was nice enough to drive it back to the rental place for me while I was teaching the winshield installer how to reinstall the windshield pillars. I didn't give him permission to return the car.

I found out this week that Geico was kicking back rental payments and charging the shop. There were parts delays thay could not be helped, so the insurance company was pressuring the shop. I guess I'm a jerk, I always stood up to the insurance companies and got the job done right. Quality is greater than quantity. My customers always get my best. Your customers are your income and why you have a job.

So I was stuck in a tough spot. I could have walked home, or driven the Mustang. I drove the car in good faith that my problems would be solved.

I can see now that I screwed myself.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Washer nozzles are known to clog , that is usually why they spray the way they do .
I thought they might have been clogged. They were fine before going into the shop. I picked up the rear of the cowl last night. The nozzles were abused with pliers. I dont know why, they come out with mild pressure.

I grew up in the auto paint and body industry. I ran the shop for five years until I decided I had taken enough of a financial beating (Shop was making money, I was being ripped off by my own dad).

I know that I am a perfectionist, but I am also a realist. I know what to expect, what is right, etc.

Mistakes are acceptable, as long as they are corrected.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ugh. That does suck. Hopefully they sort it all out! What a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Ugh. That does suck. Hopefully they sort it all out! What a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I do not see the shop correcting the mess.

A person that I have grown to admire and have adopted as a friend is giving me an inner panel insert.

Another person donated another part unexpectedly.

I have cleaned up most of the overspray.

When life calms down I will end up pulling the rear bumper cover and having it repainted.

As I am able I will purchase the clips and washer nozzles, as well as any other parts that were messed up.

It irritates me that the shop did such a lousy job caring for the car. It really bothers me that a guy I knew and respected for 10 years has basically turned a deaf ear to legitimate issues.

Users who are viewing this thread