Another First Mods Thread: 2002 GT 5-Speed

Stanger00

Established Member
You want a fast 2 valve mustang skip the bolt ins and go centri blower. Skip low 13's high 12's and get low 12's high 11's for about the same cost in parts.

Sucks but it is the truth with these mod motors.

To hit 12's without tearing into the long block long tubes with every other bolt on plus suspension will be needed. Possibly a built rear differential to handle the launches with sticky tires. Add all of those components up and see if a used vortech setup seems crazy for a first mod.

My car with stock mid pipe, stock manifolds, 2.5" cat back, 70mm t/b, CAI, 3.73 and 275/40/17 nitto drs. Ran a 13.4 at 103 with a 1.9 short time. My car was a automatic as well. Long tubes and a converter would get me close to a 12.9 run but I just went ahead and put a vortech on my car. Skipped 12's and went to 11.7-11.9 with better suspension and weight loss and 400 wheel horsepower.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
Remove Air Silencer and swap in Amsoil EAA191 air filter
2.5" catback with straight-through mufflers (magnaflow, Borla, Pypes, Dynomax Ultraflow)
4.10's
2.5" X-pipe (catted or off-road)

for a Stang capable of low 13's, I stand by my original recommendations^^^, with a few simple additions:

- premium fuel dyno tune
- 17x10.5" rear wheels with some 315/35 drag radials
- ditch spare tire, jack, and trunk lining
- rear seat delete

some overkill mods would be a big CAI like a JLT CAI or AFM PowerPipe with a big MAF... a 75mm TB and upper plenum (or the BBK one-piece 78mm TB/plenum combo), and decent underdrive pulleys (Steeda, Saleen...)

1hot281

Established Member
What kind of upgrades to the fuel system will I be looking at with a bolt-on setup like listed above? How far can I go on the stock stuff before I need to upgrade? I ask, because this won't happen all at once, it will be a few things at a time.

If you did all the mods i listed including a big CAI and larger aftermarket MAF meter, and oversized TB and upper plenum... the stock fuel system should still be fine, but really that would be up to your tuner... they should be able to tell while tuning if the injectors are getting anywhere close to maxing out... and as far as I know, the injectors would be the only thing that could possibly be an issue with mild bolt-ons...

Do you know if you have 19lbs or 21lbs injectors? They switched to 21lbs in late 2002.

I think 19lbs have orange tops, and 21lbs have pink tops...

Found this chart online. Not 100% sure of it's accuracy, but as i said, really your tuner would make the best recommendations based on what they see going on during the tune...

Injector Size...... Supercharged /////////////////// Natually Aspirated
19 lb...................... 276 hp //////////////////////// 338 hp
24 lb...................... 349 hp ///////////////////////// 427 hp
30 lb...................... 436 hp ///////////////////////// 533 hp
36 lb...................... 553 hp ///////////////////////// 640 hp
42 lb...................... 611 hp //////////////////////// 747 hp
55 lb...................... 800 hp//////////////////////// 978 hp

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
A larger throttle body for a bolt on car is pointless. A fuel system is not needed until you break into the long block (heads/cams) or go FI. You're beginning to over complicate "bolt ons". Also, 315's aren't going to help much either. They are more for looks at stock hp levels. A good 275 drag radial on a stock 8 inch wide wheel is going to weigh less and be able to hook just as well for you.

Stanger00

Established Member
A larger throttle body for a bolt on car is pointless. A fuel system is not needed until you break into the long block (heads/cams) or go FI. You're beginning to over complicate "bolt ons". Also, 315's aren't going to help much either. They are more for looks at stock hp levels. A good 275 drag radial on a stock 8 inch wide wheel is going to weigh less and be able to hook just as well for you.

From a vortech powered 2 valve mustang. I approve this mans comment.

mwestra1

Established Member
you said you can't do second gear burnout? my 01 GT is bone stock down to the air box and exhaust and did a second gear burnout half way down my block the other day. I read your post and thought i'd go try it. no problems. but first mod...definitely a tuner. sets you up for every other bolt on plus can get noticeable gains on a bone stock car. I just ordered one the other day through american muscle along with a shifter from mgw. Can't wait! I just went from a 95 gt to this car and there is a big difference in power and throttle response as far as bone stock goes. I have a buddy who has a bone stock 00 gt with flow master weld ins and a mgw shifter...ran a 13.8 on stock 17 inch wheels/tires. Mind you, he can drive like no other i've seen but still put bolt ons and and a tuner, 12s are very possible.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
blow the tires off? I'm not even going to touch that one. Anyway; I have a 01 and with 3.73s, exhaust and steeda pulley it when low 13s@104 at full weight on completely stock suspension. Cams brought that up to high 12s @106. My guess is that with enough practice I could have probably got a 12 out of it without the cams.

With that being said... my mods probably cost the same price as a used supercharger which would put a stock 2v in the 11s.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Read thread before posting, this has all been covered several times over. An 11 second dd is overkill for me, especially since it needs to run every day. I don't want to stress the bottom end and won't have enough cash together all at one for fi anyway. If I ever want to really haul ass, theres a 550hp chevelle in the garage thats about to get a bigger motor anyways, so theres no point in supercharging this car.

Guess you speaking to me? I never told you to buy a blower. I just stated my mods and what they done for me along with the cost.

We are all just trying to help you and if all you interested in is laying black marks and blowing the tires off like you mention then you bought the wrong car or maybe you just need to put some bald tires and accomplish it that way.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Intake, exhaust, gears, tune

Or

Sell the car and go back to an LT1.

/thread

Stanger00

Established Member
lol, what a ***. Edited all of his posts.

FYI, my 2000 GT ran perfectly fine besides a belt or 2 for 6 years with 11-12lbs of boost from a vortech. I beat the car to hell as well and even drove it to the shop that is now installing a built long block. Vortech is not as bad as you think. I even managed 15-17 MPG with a 3200 stall converter. Not bad IMO. To each their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread