Another First Mods Thread: 2002 GT 5-Speed

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The gt and lt1 are basically identical in acceleration. Lt1 just feels faster due to the torque

spike_africa

Established Member
We tell you the truth these motors love boost and the bottle. It sounds like the cheap Vortec build is right for you. Search for it. I think its what $1500 to do a build it yourself kit.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
The gt and lt1 are basically identical in acceleration. Lt1 just feels faster due to the torque

I don't know about that. Not trying to start an argument or anything.

My 95 LT1 with 140k original miles with just bolt ons,3.73 gears and good tires went 12.91 @ ~ 2600 ft at a shitty track in Tucson.

I won't even start talking about my 00 LS1 car. That thing cam only and bolt-ons was over 430 rwhp with a conservative tune ..

Not knocking the 2valve just being real.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
^ Since we're on the subject , do you miss the skip shift and the shitty monsoon system? Or how about changing the spark plugs and wires with Stock headers ?

Remember those days?

FuriousFord

Established Member
if you dont want to dismantle the car you can always just do the gear swap, xpipe and a diablosport/sct tuner and if you dont like the outcome you can easily return back to stock, besides gears..you can get a tuner and midpipe fairly cheap on clist..drop in k&n filter and a 70mm tbody will give better throttle response...those will be cheapest most affective bolt ons

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
sounds to me like your leaning on going back to the Camaro... even though you think a supercharger is a crazy mod to do these cars love and respond very well to them like everyone said just piece one together and it wont be expensive then you will be more then happy with the car... drive ability is very good with the vortech too

DaBigBone

Established Member
Again a supercharger for a first mod? Are you high?

Nobody is high, it's the best bang for you buck hands down. You come in here asking for ways to "blow your tires off" and keep comparing to an LT1.

Either take our advise, or sell your car and go back to an LT1. You won't even hit 300rwhp with bolt ons.

Next time, do your research before you buy a car.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
We're also telling you power adder first because a lot of us have been down the road of going after all the cheaper bolt ons and being disappointment. Going back to what I said before if you're wanting a bit more out of it do full exhaust with longtubes and o/r x and gears. After reading everything you're saying it sounds like you need to go at least 4.10's instead of those 3.73's. Gears are cheap brand new anyways so I would pass on the 3.73's even though you said you can get them cheap.

I'm also speaking from first hand experience. I didn't feel crap with any of the bolt ons except for the longtubes and gears. Even then the feelings were minimal. I had my car on the dyno with all the bolt ons except for underdrive pullies and made 248hp/284ft lbs untuned. Add a good tune and heads/cams you might be able to break 300hp/300ft lbs. Even if you do it won't be by much. Seems like that would maybe make you happy. But you are saying no power adder and no breaking into the long block. We are saying that power does not come in the form of bolt ons for these cars.

DaBigBone

Established Member
You can get low 13s on bolt ons, easily. But if you want anything comparable to the power and torque of an LT1, save yourself the hassle and money on the bolt ons and do a budget vortech setup.

I spent tons of money on little bolt ons here and there before finally building a vortech. Lesson learned...

Users who are viewing this thread