Another First Mods Thread: 2002 GT 5-Speed

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
NAZZ. Overnight it from Japan, and let her rip. The stock engine will handle about 150-175 shot. That'll wake that SOB up.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Define "budget". The biggest issue is the lack of airflow from stock heads/cams. Get TFS heads and an aggressive cam and you'll make some power, but those are hardly budget.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
The gears will really wake the car up, was the most noticeable bolt on for me, Off road x will free up some Hp and really make the car louder... like stated before nitrous is good cheap mod for the money but if you want to spend extra and get power that will always be there go with a centrifugal supercharger like the Vortech or Procharger which will give you power on the top end or you can go with a Roots blower like a Kenne bell or Whipple wich will give you power soon as you hit the gas, not sure how much youre looking to spend but these are just a couple ideas you can go with

Luigzz

Established Member
I say throw on long tubes, mid pipe, catback, gears, upgraded throttle body, and dyno tune that baby. That's what I plan on.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Honestly, gears are the only somewhat cheap mod that your going to be able to tell a difference from.

I did o/r x, catback, throttle body/plenum, intake and never felt any difference. Only felt slight difference from longtubes and felt the most difference from 4.10s which really helped a lot.

I say stick with exhaust and then go straight to a power adder. Nitrous or a vortech/procharger are going to be your most cost effective power adders.

marvin54

BOOSTING!!!
Established Member
Honestly, gears are the only somewhat cheap mod that your going to be able to tell a difference from.

I did o/r x, catback, throttle body/plenum, intake and never felt any difference. Only felt slight difference from longtubes and felt the most difference from 4.10s which really helped a lot.

I say stick with exhaust and then go straight to a power adder. Nitrous or a vortech/procharger are going to be your most cost effective power adders.

Agreed all that stuff is not gonna be noticeable, getting my vortech is the only mod where i noticed and incredible power gain went from 270 rwhp to 410 so the 3 grand i paid for entire kit was money well spent

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
If your not planning to touch the long block then gears and longtubes are going to be your biggest gains. Longtubes however are going to give you the gain up top and not with torque. May give a few ft lbs but the power from longtubes is up top.

1hot281

Established Member
Remove Air Silencer and swap in Amsoil EAA191 air filter
2.5" catback with straight-through mufflers (magnaflow, Borla, Pypes, Dynomax Ultraflow)
Full Length Subframe connectors
quality short shifter (Steeda, MGW, etc etc)
3.73's or 4.10's
2.5" X-pipe (catted or off-road)

That stuff will pep the car up with a few more ponies. Getting through the gears faster with a good short throw will increase performance... But the seat of the pants feel from the gears, and the visceral experience of new loud exhaust will increases the fun factor the most...

1hot281

Established Member
Put an mgw in it as soon as I bought the car :). Why the subframe connectors? If I do exhuast, I'm doing it once and doing full 3 inch.

MGW's are great shifters. Subframe connectors are an awesome mod for these cars... the unibody chassis sucks without additional support. Not absolutely needed, but if you like taking corners at all, it's a no brainer...

full 3 inch is way too much for a 2v with a stock shortblock and no forced induction... bigger piping will increase flow but kill velocity... A well designed 2.5" system with an x-pipe will scavenge and maintain flow and velocity much better, and guaranteed will make more overall power and torque everywhere along the powerband. :beer:

a full 2.5" system will handle your needs for all the horsepower that 2v motor can make. Unless you tear into the shortblock, get better heads, cams, and a big blower or twin turbo, you won't ever need 3" exhaust...

bleedout

Established Member
I'm on my second 2V and my first 2002 GT was bone stock and slow..... so i know what you mean, however I didnt buy the car because it was fast/slow, i liked the look, style and feel and the car was better built, much better than an LT1 camaro. I put JLT CIA, TB/Plenum, and 4.10's and SLP loud mouth, really woke the car up. it may not have picked up major HP but the throttle response was spot on, and with the gears it would move out. Your stock gears are killing you, i believe its a 3.27 gear which is a turd highway gear. and these PI 2V's dont make power past 5800 dude, unless its cammed or blown, not happening. I currently have a 00' GT that ive thrown more mods at than anticipated but i put frpp 4.30's in it and it has the typical bolts ons and WITHOUT spray i rape LT1's all day, I took it to the Ocean City cruise last year and out ran 2 LS1 T/A's too, not sure if they were stock or not but i really dont care. guess bottom line is that there are so many mods and parts available, FI or not, these are fun cars. Good luck

spike_africa

Established Member
These cars just don't respond well to bolt on's. Sure they add a bit of power but its not much. I have all them minus an electric water pump and no long tubes. Made 257rwhp with all the other bolt on's. Gears were meh to me. Best mod for the buck was an off road mid pipe, I dropped 3 tenths with just that. And a nitrous kit. I spent a total of $510 on mine with purge,heater, window switch etc... Makes good power.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I had 2 2000 trans ams, a 97 trans am ,95 trans am ,and a 95 camaro. All T56 cars, gears from 3.23 to 4.10.

I can honestly say you need to either sell that car and get a 96+ Cobra 4 vavle, or do a supercharger like all these guys are saying . There is no other way to come close to the lt1 / ls1 cars.

I remember my 95 trans am with just gears and bolt-ons would smoke 315's rolling 2nd ,sometimes 3rd gear..

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
^^ It's all a compromise man, both cars have their goods and bads.

Obviously the Mustang has better interior,better stereo,better rear end,more room in the engine bay to work,some may say it looks better,no optispark to get wet, True dual exhaust,etc..

Then the LT1 f-body has better aerodynamics,better motor,better tranny,better brakes,and the optispark is wonderfull when working,the motor is further back for better weight distro, etc.

They're both bad ass cars with tons of potential and they both have some shitty aspects about them.

I've got a 99 Cobra now ,still have a soft spot for the F-body's though

Users who are viewing this thread