Another Evo

nicktoney

weeee
Established Member
my gf has an evo.. sounds hella good? not shitcanny at all... maybe its just the exhaust? hers is legitamately fast tho... idk bout terminator fast, but still fast.. the other evos in town sound like crap though... hers has a deep rumble.. magnaflow ftw?

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
There is a guy in my office that is the exact same way. Nothing can touch his MR but he won't let me get within 100 feet of him on the road. As soon as he see's me rolling up he does some fast and furious weaving in and out of cars. He's a tool! We should introduce these two and they can go make EVO babies!!! I AM NOT SAYING A SINGLE THING BAD ABOUT EVO's...

This guy looked pretty surprised when I came up on him. I guess I caught him at a bad time? Seeing as how he was 10lbs shy with no race gas? Sounds like too much of a hassle to me! If he turns his boost up then he'll probably blow his car up on the way to work?! Whats the point? Its a lose lose situation for him. Oh well, my car's fun all the time:banana:

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
my gf has an evo.. sounds hella good? not shitcanny at all... maybe its just the exhaust? hers is legitamately fast tho... idk bout terminator fast, but still fast.. the other evos in town sound like crap though... hers has a deep rumble.. magnaflow ftw?

I think the faster you make those cars, the worse they sound?? His car should haul ass according to the sound then:lol1: Seriously though his car was kinda fast and I do kinda like them, just need to find the mute button is all!!

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
He said something like when he's at wot its an open header?? Something like that I guess. Still wish I would have known so I could have rolled up my window! Nobody should have to listen to that sh*t!!:lol1:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
He said something like when he's at wot its an open header?? Something like that I guess. Still wish I would have known so I could have rolled up my window! Nobody should have to listen to that sh*t!!:lol1:

he either has an exhaust leak which is killing his performance, or he has an atmospheric dumped wastegate.

if it sounded like a dump truck next to you when he hit full boost, its a dumped wastegate. It only opens once the turbo reaches its desired boost level, redirecting exhaust flow around the turbine and to the atmosphere. Its an acquired taste kind of sound.

I have a dumped wastegate currently in my GST. Its getting removed sometime soon. Sounded fun at first, id roll up on people with their windows down and build some boost and lay into them. Even better was when i had stock exhaust so my car was super quiet until i hit full boost then it sounded like all hell broke loose under the hood. Im getting annoyed at it now, plus with the heat of summer and AC on all the time making the load on the motor more and the turbo spool all the time, its annoying as ****. Even with my 3" catback.

If he has an exhaust leak then hes likely the type of modder who buys all this shit cause they saw someone else on a forum have it and make XXXwhp, install it all half-assed, never getting the full potential out of the setup, and then wonder why their shit doesnt dyno half of what the other guy made. These guys were prevalent in the dsm world and alot have moved onto Evo's as they got better paying jobs and moved on from Taco Bell. Thank god, now all the DSMers that are left are the extremists who dont hack shit and do stuff 110% and are making all this power and doing it reliably, while Evo's get to be ghetto rigged and turned into the newest DSM.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Yeah, that sounds about right. Im pretty sure he was saying something like that. He gets into talking about all this crap in his car and I just kinda stop listening.

SpdPilot

Established Member
I don't understand threads like this one. Why all the worry, just race him.

If he wins, so be it. Why bench race with everyones opinion. But then, I am just a put up or shut up kind of person.

If I had a guy like that bugging me, it would take until the end of the day before we would be racing or if they make excuses, I would tell them I don't want to hear another word until they will to stand behind what they are saying.

When you approach it like that, BS people run and hide really fast. But I see people like this draw it out for months with friends of mine. Only ricers act like that and don't back it immediately.

EVO-lution

Established Member
Funny thing is at a track rental a couple years ago at atco some guy had a evo with GT37r AMS setup claiming 600 but he couldn't even break into the 11s that day! looks are deceiving sometime ;) so You may have a prayer

damn he must be running some bald ass tires. David buschur runs 9's and he's on straight pump gas. Pretty sure he's a full interior and DD too.

I would just look under this dudes hood. If u see a stock looking set-up you're in luck. U see a bigger turbo well, depending on his tune who knows. EVO's r no joke IMO when done right.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
i have an evo....and evo is not pushing out anything over 500 unless hes got a built block and even 500 on stock motor is pushing it.

even a stock turbo evo is a nasty car, my old black evo ix dynoed at 372awhp / 375 trq @ 28psi and mine is scary fast, no affence to you cobra guys but i eat cobras from digs and rolls with pulley and w.e else lol. But i do loose to ported blower cobras haha but im not getting into that haha

anyway. unless he has over 380 wheel hp then i wouldnt worry about it.

let us no what happens. But theres not way hes at 540 wheel haha, if you dont here that baby spool then hes a stock turbo, but like i said dont underestimate the stock turbo, ive seen numbers up in the high 400's on stock turbo.

and to the race fuel and turning up the boost, alot of evo guys do that if they no what there doing, when i was serious about a race i would bolt my straight pipe in place instead of my muffler, fill it with 5 gallons of VP 109 and turn the boost up to 28-30psi, and the car is discustingly fast!!!

remeber an evo IX turbo has no lag so hes going to spool right up, and if he is going to brake boost and run the 109....then it may be a good race ...IF....he has supporting bolt ons.

race fuel and turning the boost up wont do anything on a stock evo but blow a head gasket haha
goodluck.

good friend of mine has a 03 EVO, stock turbo, dyno tuned for either 91 or E85.. makes about 350 to the wheels on E85, 300 on 91.. I want to race him, have to find the time to do it someday (hopefully before he leaves on deployment)

Users who are viewing this thread