Another 3.73 gear whine story

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well it seems I have something odd with these gears. There is a depth stamped on them and they were in the Ford Racing box from the unmentioned vendor here. I think they must have sold me a return from someone else. It's really the only thing I can come up with. I looked at the gear set before I took them to the installer so I know he did not pull a switch. The vendor say's no way but I'm not convinced. I know this, I won't buy another set from them. I just need to decide who I'm going to buy a new set from. I can get them from my local dealer @ cost + shipping so I may just do that.

was there any part number and anything on the pinon or gear itself? if so what did it say.

chuckstang

Established Member
Thanks Brotha :thumbsup:, Yea, stock rims are too narrow but i was tought about widening the rear to be a bit unique but its pricey!

You should get another one, but everytime you changes atleast its for something better, i wish i could what you have!! :banana:

That is true, I try!

Doesnt make you love the others any less!

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Put a solid crush sleeve in...Big power and lots of weight=whine. My gears were perfect and 1 good launch and BIG WHINE..

OneSVTFan

Established Member
Same story here...had Evolution work on my car..TVS, Suspension, etc...AND gears. I love the car, 655hp and 635tq but man the gear whine just ruins the car. Took it to my local Ford dealership..great tech who had installed gears before with no issues..he put two sets of OEM Bullet gears in and guess what...still whines. Put in a box and half of dynamat insultation trying to block out some of it...guess what...still whines. I am done but not happy. Absolutely would not do gears again!!!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
This is supposed to be my next mod, next week......now I am very hesistant!

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
all, I am not sure if this is true of not but, I took my FMS gears to a Ford Certified Mechanix and he saw the markings on the pinion. He was surprised at the tolerance on it.. He told me that Ford only takes a certain pinion depth degree +/-1 or 2 and all the rest of the Gears are sold to Vendors. Like Summit and so on... Mine had a -9 which is real bad, I guess...

Are your new gears whining?

hollowch

Mr. The Squirrel
Established Member
damnnnn..... I JUST ordered a set of these + install kit from Evo!!! Why God, why?

FS: **NIB** FRPP 3.73 GT500 gears & install kit!!!

C'mon... who wants em?!!!

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
This is supposed to be my next mod, next week......now I am very hesistant!

Don't worry, I'm not sure if these guys are cry babies or what.

I have to really-really and I mean really go out of my way to hear the
whine. Then again, my shop installs hundreds a year

I guess every case/person is different;-)

chuckstang

Established Member
Jake ride in mine and see if it bothers you

Imagine if we didnt have the muffler deletes, then youd really hear it!

Carl

Established Member
Don't worry, I'm not sure if these guys are cry babies or what.

I have to really-really and I mean really go out of my way to hear the
whine. Then again, my shop installs hundreds a year

I guess every case/person is different;-)

I can't know how loud the others are but I can tell you mine are too loud. I could live with a little whine but this is just too much. I'm going back to the 3.31's and then I'll think about what to do next. If I go with a different ratio I may just get the entire axle assembly. I'm not going to get another set of 3.73's at this point and go through this hassle again.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I heard from a fellow Mustang owner that FRPP no longer makes their own gears and that the FRPP gears are now made by Motive. This may explain the whining issue. However, it's also my understanding that Ford still makes their own OEM gears.

I wonder if anyone with contacts with the FRPP folks could have them comment on this issue???:shrug:

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
Russ I have heard the same thing. The new gears are made by Motive so if you have a new looking box they are the motives. Also the number was changed slightly to from what I have heard. An old ratty box are the old style ORIGINAL Ford gears and have no whine.

From a guy who had Motive gears installed in their GT it whines like a sum Bitch. But I never had a issue with them. Oh and if you install the Spherical rod end control arms LOOK OUT. Your heads gonna spin cause it radiates it inside like you wouldn't believe.

Try another brand like Moser unless you can find a good Old used set of FRPP gears.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i heard from a fellow mustang owner that frpp no longer makes their own gears and that the frpp gears are now made by motive. This may explain the whining issue. However, it's also my understanding that ford still makes their own oem gears.

I wonder if anyone with contacts with the frpp folks could have them comment on this issue???:shrug:

+1

russ i have heard the same thing. The new gears are made by motive so if you have a new looking box they are the motives. Also the number was changed slightly to from what i have heard. An old ratty box are the old style original ford gears and have no whine.

From a guy who had motive gears installed in their gt it whines like a sum bitch. But i never had a issue with them. Oh and if you install the spherical rod end control arms look out. Your heads gonna spin cause it radiates it inside like you wouldn't believe.

Try another brand like moser unless you can find a good old used set of frpp gears.

+1

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Spawn said:
Oh and if you install the Spherical rod end control arms LOOK OUT. Your heads gonna spin cause it radiates it inside like you wouldn't believe.
I've got rod ends o'plenty on my '09 GT500 and I have nary a peep coming from the rear. New style ring and pinion as well.

ry%3D480

More here.

Tob

Flyin Monkey

Established Member
Great...I just bought a set of FRPP 3:73's yesterday at Summit. I'll go pull the pinion out of the box to see if there are any markings on it....Damn, I wish I would have looked at this thread first...

Flyin Monkey

Established Member
Ok, I brought the gears in from the garage.
The pinion has numbers stamped into it on the gear end.
On the end tword the spline there is a number 5 written on it in green paint marker and an orange dash.
The ring gear has a number 5 on it also as well as a number 23 but the difference with these is that these were put on before the heat treatment of the gears.

Screw it. I'm installing them.

tommygun

Established Member
We have had better luck with Richmond gears over the FMS stuff, seems the FMS stuff is hit and miss since they outsourced their production. I swear 1 out of 3 makes noise, mostly on de cell. Those that are having noise after it gets hot, change to a different weight fluid, it might help

Carl

Established Member
I have to retract some of my starting post. The Pinion does not have the depth setting on it so Ford Racing was correct. I had it pulled all apart by a tech at the Dealership today and I was there for the whole process. My guess was the pinion depth was not originally set correctly and when checked with the Rotunda tool we found the shim was off by .003 and backlash was around .018. So with the Rotunda tool it measured .025 for shim thickness and the pinion was marked -8. According to the shop manual instructions a negative number means you add to the needed shim thickness by that amount and a positive means you subtract so off came the .030 shim and on went a .033. Tech reinstalled the pinion, set preload, and installed the yoke. Next he installed and torqued the carrier, checked backlash and was at .015. Pulled it out and to change to different carrier shims and reinstalled and torqued and backlash was at .009. At this point he looked at the pattern and it was good so he buttoned it up, put in the friction modifier and oil and we went for a drive. Whine is now basically gone. Still a little if you really listen but the stock gears had a little as well so I think I'm O.K. with it now. The only concern is if the mileage put on the gears while they were not right caused any damage that will show up later. Time will tell and if so I'll deal with it then. For now I'm happy.

I learned a lesson here, I should have taken it to the dealership to have the gears installed in the first place. They have done this in the past for me and it has always been problem free. I thought I would save a few bucks this time but in the end it cost more. They did treat me very fairly on this issue by dropping the labor rate some and not charging for the the gear lube and modifier. I had an extra crush collar and pinion seal so no charge for parts. After this they changed the oil, which for me is free due to the Ford Maintenance plan Ford put on it after it sat on a lift for 3 weeks last year waiting for a transmission gear that broke during the tranny TSB process. And finally it went to the detail shop for a quick cleaning up. All in all a good day, brought it in in the morning and drove it home same day..:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread