Another 3.73 gear whine story

Carl

Established Member
Finally got around to getting my 3.73's installed and as expected it really wakes up the car. The bad part is they whine. I have had it at two shops and both shops have checked and verified a good pattern and the backlash is at .008. The installer used the GT500 master install kit to be sure the high torque pinion bearing was used. Correct lube and friction modifier was used but in the end it whine's pretty bad. I called Ford Racing and asked for any suggestions and was told be sure the pattern is correct with the backlash on the low end of the spec. Then we started talking about pinion depth and their instructions that say to set the depth to what is stamped on the pinion. The tech said the 373N's do not have this stamped on them. The set I received does and they were purchased from a vendor here. The gears were in a sealed Ford Racing box. Ford Racing insists the N gear set should not have a depth stamped on it. The vendor say's they will not take back the gears since they have already been installed. Ford racing thinks they are not their gears so looks like I am out the cost of the gears and some labor. Has anyone noticed if their 373N's have the depth stamped on them? I am not amused by all of this but need to make it right so I need to order up a new set and try again. If I get a new set and the pinion depth is stamped on it then Ford Racing is going to have some explaining to do... I have use both of these shops in the past for gear installs and have never had an issue and in most cases I have used the FRPP 373's. I just don't get it, I think I should have just ordered the complete axle assembly..:bash:

ferrarokid

Established Member
I have seen them with the required shim "paint marked" on the pinion,
not stamped.

I have installed using this method with good luck (double checking the contact).. also I like to keep the back-lash tight .005-.008, if you drag race the car it WILL "open up".

-my 2 cents

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
these stories that keep coming out is the reason why I havent put gears in mine. GL to OP to get this corrected

Joshua484

Established Member
My FRPP 373N gears did have markings on the end of the pinion, but they were not of any use to me....they didn't state pinion depth, anyways... But they were installed, and they whine, some. I have changed backlash settings I think 3 times, and each time they whine just a bit.... so I'm done.... it's not that bad....

I have read on TeamShelby that some guy put in the FRPP complete axle assembly and it whined, also. So it doesn't seem to be the end-all answer either.

srk1959

Established Member
My FRPP 373N gears did have markings on the end of the pinion, but they were not of any use to me....they didn't state pinion depth, anyways... But they were installed, and they whine, some. I have changed backlash settings I think 3 times, and each time they whine just a bit.... so I'm done.... it's not that bad....

I have read on TeamShelby that some guy put in the FRPP complete axle assembly and it whined, also. So it doesn't seem to be the end-all answer either.

I also put in a 3:73 axle assembly and mine whines. Wasn't too bad at first but has gotten worse over time. My son's 08 Bullitt has the factory 3:73 rear axle and his only whine's a bit on deccel. Nothing on steady speeds though. Naturally he doesn't make the hp I do so who knows how his would end up after 700plus rwhp abuse.

I wonder how the guys that go with the Ford 9" fair......any better?

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
My son's 08 Bullitt has the factory 3:73 rear axle and his only whine's a bit on deccel. Nothing on steady speeds though.

thats crazy, good to know though i guess. my 3:73's whine on deccel only as well.

svt1111

Established Member
not to pour salt here, but my FRPP 4.10's drive like stock. Best gears quality-wise I have ever had.

Prodigy SVT

Established Member
The only gears that I have ever seen that come with the "stamp" are Richmond Gears. I can assure you that all Ford Racing 8.8 Gear Sets do not have the "stamp". All 8.8 rear housings and or carriers are not excactly the same for whatever reason, and require the use of a special Dealer only install kit that consists of a Gauge Tube and Pinion Depth Gauge that is used to select the proper Pinion Shim. The stock Carrier Shims are re-used.

chuckstang

Established Member
Mine started whining after about a year.

Gets worse the longer drive (hotter it gets)

Don't notice on decel just steady highway speeds most while accelerating, it is pretty annoying and I hate it

Carl

Established Member
Well it seems I have something odd with these gears. There is a depth stamped on them and they were in the Ford Racing box from the unmentioned vendor here. I think they must have sold me a return from someone else. It's really the only thing I can come up with. I looked at the gear set before I took them to the installer so I know he did not pull a switch. The vendor say's no way but I'm not convinced. I know this, I won't buy another set from them. I just need to decide who I'm going to buy a new set from. I can get them from my local dealer @ cost + shipping so I may just do that.

Carl

Established Member
It whines on both. Preload correct according to the installer. I do have another crush collar and was considering re-doing that but my gut feeling is it won't help. Still thinking on it..

chuckstang

Established Member
Try maybe to set the lash at .012 and use a bit thicker lube oil.

Seeing your black 99 in your sig makes me miss mine, yours looks great! Mine was black on black teksid block :banana:

I don't know why I sold the stock rims, they look beautiful

(oh ya cause they are too narrow)

It's amazing how you can miss a car, I could own a Ford GT and would still miss all my previous rides including my current one which I know I won't own forever lol

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Seeing your black 99 in your sig makes me miss mine, yours looks great! Mine was black on black teksid block :banana:

I don't know why I sold the stock rims, they look beautiful

(oh ya cause they are too narrow)

It's amazing how you can miss a car, I could own a Ford GT and would still miss all my previous rides including my current one which I know I won't own forever lol

Thanks Brotha :thumbsup:, Yea, stock rims are too narrow but i was tought about widening the rear to be a bit unique but its pricey!

You should get another one, but everytime you changes atleast its for something better, i wish i could what you have!! :banana:

wickedstangs

Established Member
all, I am not sure if this is true of not but, I took my FMS gears to a Ford Certified Mechanix and he saw the markings on the pinion. He was surprised at the tolerance on it.. He told me that Ford only takes a certain pinion depth degree +/-1 or 2 and all the rest of the Gears are sold to Vendors. Like Summit and so on... Mine had a -9 which is real bad, I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread