Ancient statue moves on its own?

CBrowning84

Established Member
Whether supernatural or a natural explanation, pretty interesting to say the least. Especially the fact that nothing else is moving, and it seems like if it were vibrations it would move in any other direction other than a circle

Copper&Black

Established Member
That's why foot traffic and car vibrations are probably the reason behind this movement.

Exactly, it only moves doing periods with the most movement around it. Egyptians were good but not good enough to make a perfectly flat base, and if a lot of the weight is on one back corner then it would just continue to rotate only the one direction.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always said you can't trust statues. Damn things look like they're just standing there, not moving, until you take your eyes off them then BAM! They're off ordering pizza on your credit card.

347zz5.0

Established Member
Scary and neat at the same time. Definitely leans towards the supernatural tho.

"Supernatural" is just a linguistic placeholder for gaps of knowledge. It's a completely made up non existent category of phenomena.

If we had any testable hard objective evidence for things people label supernatural they would instead just be natural events part of the natural world.

For example ghosts. If we had hard evidence that ghosts exist they would be just as part of the natural world as butterflies and rubber.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
NasteeNate said:
Definitely leans towards the supernatural tho.

wurd2 said:
On what basis have you ruled out a natural explanation?

tuke said:
On what basis have you not?

It's called Occam's Razor, the economic principle of not multiplying explanatory entities beyond necessity when attempting to explain phenomena. In this case, the explanatory entities on hand—foot traffic, wood, glass, and vibration—are sufficient.

The idea that a supernatural force would interact with our world by rotating a particular statue, slowly, over time, in a circle, is absolutely absurd.

If you think vibration rotating a statue in a circle is suspicious, look at what vibration can do to sand grains (video taken from James Snover's awesome Sand and Sound Waves thread):

[youtube_browser]wvJAgrUBF4w[/youtube_browser]

We *KNOW* this behavior of sand grains is not supernatural because we have the mathematics that *PREDICTS* their intricate arrangements per a given frequency.

This makes the phenomenon of a rotating statue look like child's play.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
funny how just that one object is moving, although there are others in the same proximity. intresting

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
funny how just that one object is moving, although there are others in the same proximity. intresting

Exactly. I tried explaining in my other post how can one statue vibrate on a glass shelf with others right next to it not moving. I believe vibration transfers through the whole piece of glass and not just one area. Will the vibration concentration get less and less over the surface area of the glass yes, but atleast the statue next to it will move slightly as well. Its just an odd situation to have it spin in a circle. And from the looks of it the glass shelf doesn't look distorted either.

Supernatural events happen all over the world. Can some of them be debunked of course, but then it wouldn't be supernatural it will be natural cause for what took place. All I'm saying is science is amazing at explaining things we can't understand but it can't explain why the world is the way it is. I know most scientist hate using "intellectual design" so they go extremely hard to say every thing happens at random and we are randomly here. We are beings, we are energy, when we die where we go? I have belief were we go but others will not agree. My 2cents. Now back to the freaky statue lol.

Copper&Black

Established Member
Imagine you die, and your whole eternity is rotating a statue slowly. I'd kill mysel..... Wait...

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
1wild-horse said:
funny how just that one object is moving, although there are others in the same proximity.

NasteeNate said:
Exactly. I tried explaining in my other post how can one statue vibrate on a glass shelf with others right next to it not moving. I believe vibration transfers through the whole piece of glass and not just one area.

If the surface of the bottom of the moving statue is not perfectly flat, it will have less contact with the glass, as compared with the other statues that stay in place. Less contact means less friction. Less friction means more freedom and tendency to move in the presence of glass vibrations.

This is assuming that the vibrations are evenly distributed through the glass, which I highly doubt they are!

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
30887414.jpg

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
NasteeNate said:
Supernatural events happen all over the world.

And oddly enough, no one can present or reproduce any evidence for such an event.

NasteeNate said:
All I'm saying is science is amazing at explaining things we can't understand but it can't explain why the world is the way it is.

Science has quite a lot to say about the world and its nature.

But if science cannot explain something, what makes you think invoking supernatural entities therefore can?

NasteeNate said:
I know most scientist hate using "intellectual design" so they go extremely hard to say every thing happens at random and we are randomly here.

Scientists are all for intelligent design when it comes to things like the Large Hadron Collider. But intelligent design does not apply to life because it evolved via Darwinian natural selection.

Please note that evolution is *not* a random process. As Richard Dawkins described it, evolution is the non-random selection of randomly varying replicators.

How many times must this be pointed out?

NasteeNate said:
We are beings, we are energy, when we die where we go?

Perhaps to the same place we were before we were born?

NasteeNate said:
I have belief were we go...

You're perfectly welcome to such a belief!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread