Ancient statue moves on its own?

mkb116

Established Member
Before I watched I was positive there was a simple explanation.... BEFORE.. I watched.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Hoax? I mean how hard is to make that video look like a timelaps video? But in the process just move it statue as well?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Hoax? I mean how hard is to make that video look like a timelaps video? But in the process just move it statue as well?

This. Funny how the statue moves slowly while people are in and out, yet doesn't move at night. Hoax!

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Statue is on a glass shelf, and the glass shelf is on a wood floor. When people walk by, that thing is probably shaking like crazy. Over time, with a lot of traffic, it makes the statue turn.

Adiabatik

Banned
Paul Doherty, senior scientist at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, says the statue's movement isn't caused by any supernatural force, but probably by something quite ordinary: vibrational stick-slip friction, sometimes called stick-slip vibration.

As Doherty told LiveScience, if the glass shelf on which the statue rests vibrates even slightly, "the vibrating glass moves the statue in the same direction," causing it to turn around.

An everyday example can occur when someone uses an electric blender on a kitchen countertop: The vibration of the blender can cause a nearby coffee cup to "walk" across the countertop.

What makes it stop?
But why would the statue stop moving after turning 180 degrees? Doherty believes the statue stops turning because it's asymmetrically weighted: "One side of the statue has more weight than the other side," he said. After turning around on the shelf, the statue's uneven bottom reaches a more stable position and stops turning.

Besides the footsteps of passing museum visitors, the source of the stick-slip vibration "could be some trolley that goes by during the day, or a train that passes during the day," Doherty said.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
On what basis have you ruled out a natural explanation?

that it turns on a perfect circle. What are the odds of that happening, even when I have my blender on it shimmies to least path of resistance on the counter. Unless the glass is concave in the center where the statue can't move in any other direction, I highly doubt it. And lastly why haven't the other statues get out of place either if the glass shelf is perfectly leveled, doesn't vibration transfer all the way around.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
NasteeNate said:
Definitely leans towards the supernatural tho.

wurd2 said:

NasteeNate said:
that it turns on a perfect circle. What are the odds of that happening...

Aside from the senior scientist's natural explanation posted earlier, what are the odds a supernatural force would choose to interact with our world via rotating a statue, one of many, slowly, over time?

:shrug:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Vibrations will do it everytime, LOL. When I was married to my ex wife I had her convinced we had a polterguist, LOL. She had some little wooden figures on a wooden shelf in our living room. Every few days we would have to readjust them or we would find one on the floor for no reason. They just did this slow motion "dance" always in the same direction across the shelf. What she didnt know that I knew was the bed rock was very shallow where we lived and a train track less than a half mile away. The vibrations from the trains were causing the movements. I never did tell her, LOL.

The Snake

tuke

I am t3h Banned
Established Member

On what basis have you not?

ETA: install those little rubber thingies on the base, then see wtf happens. lol

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
image.png

Quickstang5o

Established Member
Base is magnetic. The glass was smooth enough for it to turn. It stopped once the magnetic south pointed north. Likely made of Lodestone. Of course this is only a theory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread