Anatomy of a PSR reconstructed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Will the epoxy work help throttle response or does it help in some other way?

I believe it will help overall performance.

For some reason the filling makes me think of cake lol, what does that thing weight now with the epoxy in it?

ps: very nice work btw.

The epoxy added probably 5lbs to the intake, I did add some wood dowel to take up space but it is heavier now, gaskets will seal all the better!

Always great seeing the diffeent things people try. This looks very interesting. Look forward to hearing the results!

I mimicked the stock setup with the bells and floor being the same level and then further smoothed transitions into the "belly" of th intake over stock. Can't hurt I'd believe.

I have another intake coming that I'm going to turn into an 8" runner intake and dyno the two on the new build when done for comparison.

gmsux

Established Member
Used this stuff as recommended by NASVT, it is extremely tenacious.
Woolsey/Z-Spar A-788 Splash Zone Compound 2 Quart Kit (SKU #33981)

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
I mimicked the stock setup with the bells and floor being the same level and then further smoothed transitions into the "belly" of th intake over stock. Can't hurt I'd believe.

I have another intake coming that I'm going to turn into an 8" runner intake and dyno the two on the new build when done for comparison.

You in WA?

I've never tried that approach but I'm sure it will work fine. Maybe great, I dont know. The only concern I would have is that the port entrance pulls a substantial amount of air from the feeder port as it goes by and that part of the runner is now shrouded. I would be inlcined to expose opening on the feeder side with a lip that has a nice round radius.

gmsux

Established Member
Yep, in WA. the backside of the bells have epoxy to minimize restriction but I know what you mean, not an easy way around it the way it is designed. If you trim off some of the bell it may help but I do believe all the porting/smoothing done in the entrances will make up for the bells being partially in the way.

I'm building an 8" runner version next and that will have oblong runner entrances with no intrusion, looking forward to that and dyno testing the two on the new build. It seems 8" and 10" runner lengths would cover the majority of street/strip/track cobra's.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If you put your Epoxy filled intake next to a stocker and showed a person that didn't know about Cobras they would have NO CLUE they were the same, haha!!
Nice Job! I'm wondering now if an intake spacer would help get back some of that volume? Are you gonna test different sized ones on the dyno? Some guys run 3/8 & 1/2 inch but I think Ben99GT's is a full 1 inch?

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Yep, in WA. the backside of the bells have epoxy to minimize restriction but I know what you mean, not an easy way around it the way it is designed. If you trim off some of the bell it may help but I do believe all the porting/smoothing done in the entrances will make up for the bells being partially in the way.

I'm building an 8" runner version next and that will have oblong runner entrances with no intrusion, looking forward to that and dyno testing the two on the new build. It seems 8" and 10" runner lengths would cover the majority of street/strip/track cobra's.

Actually, I wasnt talking about the backside, I was talking about the side exposed to the feeder port, and after going back and looking at the pictures I realized you do have that side exposed. Sorry for the confusion. As far as trimming the bells, at one point in my short runner development I got so frustrated I tried it. It doesnt work, lol. All in all these intakes are both forgiving and difficult to improve dramatically.

Agree on the 8" - 10". How far out are you from testing and what's going in to your new build?

blacksnake305

Established Member
I'm not knocking Carlos but the last engine he had was Modular Performance spec'd and built, so it was John Tymensky that was onto something. The heads were from Livernois and the intake was an FR500 that was ported by a Ford race team.

There defintely has to be something serious going on for Carlos to be like this. I knew of his medical issues and they had the potential to become very serious...I hope they didn't.

Hey guys. I don't want to appear to be "Blindly Defending" NAZ, but I've known the guy since 2000. He has ALWAYS been very knowledgable and helpful. I learned alot from the guy. On top of it, when my big bore engine blew up TWICE (2nd time via a darton I never ordered), he was there to help and lend advice. We had many tech discussions on the phone (which he didn't have to do).

On top of all that, at the same time my darton blew, my tranny took a shit. I was just about done w/ this car. But NAZ did a cut/port on my intake and sent me a 3650 tranny for NOTHING. I couldn't believe it. He knew I didn't have any more money because of the engine builds.

Now as to what has happened over the last few months. This is my take on what has happened to him (and i'm prolly wrong. LOL)

1. everyone knows NAZ had been perfecting his craft/learning and hence doing some side jobs along the way. He saw the potential, loved doing it, so after retiring from the service, decided to give it a go at doing it full time.

2. Then right after his retirement, his wife divorces him (in typical service fashon from what I hear).

3. Regardless, he moved and kept his chin up. He actually starting having his son work with him on his new endeavour (and was teaching him how to do the work).

4. The out of nowhere, I heard he got one of the worst sicknesses anyone can get (which its not my place to mention). But I hear when you get this, the chance of survival is 20% (depending on when detected). Any intakes he was doing halted i'm quite sure. He apparently popped up here and there and prolly tried to keep things together, but I believe hospital visits and multiple sessions there would be the norm.

My point: I'm guessing his son might have been trying to keep things together while his dad was/is undergoing this crisis. Hence maybe that's why some of the quality went down.

Does that make it right? Not at all. Should you get refunds? I'm thinking yes, but its hard to tell how bad life can get sometimes (moment to moment). Its unfortunate all the way around. But I hold out hope for Carlos...!!!

my .02

slick4_6

Established Member
Does that make it right? Not at all. Should you get refunds? I'm thinking yes, but its hard to tell how bad life can get sometimes (moment to moment). Its unfortunate all the way around. But I hold out hope for Carlos...!!!

He has my intake and my money. If I can come up with the money again to do a PSRI I am going to have over $2k in it. I know of at least one other person that is out an intake and their money. When he put his car up for sale he would not return my PM's or emails. He knew what he was doing when he sold off his car and FR500 intake. I tried to buy the FR500 intake for the $900 of my money he already had plus the difference. Instead he took someone else's $1k+ and has since never offered to send my money back or returned any messages concerning my intake that he still has.

blacksnake305

Established Member
He has my intake and my money. If I can come up with the money again to do a PSRI I am going to have over $2k in it. I know of at least one other person that is out an intake and their money. When he put his car up for sale he would not return my PM's or emails. He knew what he was doing when he sold off his car and FR500 intake. I tried to buy the FR500 intake for the $900 of my money he already had plus the difference. Instead he took someone else's $1k+ and has since never offered to send my money back or returned any messages concerning my intake that he still has.

WOW. That's not right at all! unbelieveable...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah blacksnake305 and slick4_6 isn't the only one, I've heard other stories on Corral!
So would you say that CRAP PSR that got sent to gmsux was done by his family member?

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Yeah blacksnake305 and slick4_6 isn't the only one, I've heard other stories on Corral!
So would you say that CRAP PSR that got sent to gmsux was done by his family member?

This is why engineers get paid. Even if Naz made them, he wasn't an engineer. He just tried something and it worked sometimes, and appreantly, sometimes it didn't. I asked him where he learned all this stuff, and he said just from doing it. His family had done alot of porting work and he just learned from them. There is something to be said from that, but, there is a reason that stuff like masters degrees and professional licenses hold so much clout.

tistan

Established Member
This is why engineers get paid. Even if Naz made them, he wasn't an engineer. He just tried something and it worked sometimes, and appreantly, sometimes it didn't. I asked him where he learned all this stuff, and he said just from doing it. His family had done alot of porting work and he just learned from them. There is something to be said from that, but, there is a reason that stuff like masters degrees and professional licenses hold so much clout.

I don't know about this. GM engineers can't make a power window regulator to work for more than a couple of years. Ford engineers can't make a heater core that doesn't crap out every couple years. I am sure I could come up with a lot more examples if I didn't need to leave for work. Oh yeah, almost forgot one more engineering marvel, fox body suspension.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
To the Op:

I am sorry your thread has been filled with crap. The intake looks really good with the epoxy. I hope it comes out good after the bottom is re-welded. Hopefully it will make good numbers.

PCPRO

Big Daddy
Established Member

This is just my opinion; I've worked in a automotive factory for 23 years as a machinist/welder/mechanic & the VAST majority of engineers that I've had the pleasure of working with over the years, are complete morons that couldn't twist 2 coathangers together without detailed instruction. I love proving them wrong on mechanical problems! I had to teach 1 engineer how to read a dial indicator. I had another one ask me to teach him the difference between a short & deep wall socket......lol. This guy holds a degree in mechanical engineering:shrug: I think he must have got it from a box of Kracker Jacks!

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Agreed. Even if the size of the weld had been spec'd out by an over educated moron aka engineer it still wouldve failed due to lack of fusion to the base metal.

gmsux

Established Member
Yep, the point of the thread was NOT to bash Naz, merely to show the design of the PSR and the work I'm doing to improve a disappointing situation. That's all.

To the Op:

I am sorry your thread has been filled with crap. The intake looks really good with the epoxy. I hope it comes out good after the bottom is re-welded. Hopefully it will make good numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread