An odd comparison: 4v and VTEC

Twisted2

Established Member
This is just a comment...that some may fail to appreciate. Every time I run my Cobra through the RPMs, I can't help but remember the years I spent driving my '01 Intergra GSR. I love the way my Cobra suddenly turns frantic after 4k rpms; the power band feels like what Honda's VTEC tried to do, yet hadn't the power to carry out.

With the Acura, the car would start screaming and carrying on at 4500 RPMs or whatever...yet go NOWHERE! Lol. It was all just noise. I dug the concept though--but the Cobra actually means it. I guess that's just around the time (4x00 RPMS) when Cobras come onto the cam/pipe. Anyhow, it's awesome, and I'm thoroughly enjoying mine:).

CJK440

Established Member
I have a 5.5 horsepower shop vac.

In the absence of torque, if you want more HP on paper, throw more RPM at it. Then again, the mod motors still don't fit the image of a torquey motor.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Honda's VTEC is actually a very cool technology. It allows for two completely different cam profiles, one for low RPMs and one for high RPMs. You can get a lot of torque out of a small displacement with VTEC. Your GSR would have made you happy if it had 4.6L vs the 1.8L it had.

The 05+ Mustangs allow the PCM to change the phases of the cams on the fly, which is Ford's answer to VTEC.

My son drives a Honda CRX with a built Darton sleeved, bored & stroked GSR motor (2.0L). It has a ported & polished VTEC head, with a ported Eaton M62 blower on an LHT intercooled Jackson Racing intake manifold. It puts down 265hp to the ground (with a nice flat torque curve in VTEC) in a 1900lb car. It is a frigging monster, faster than my 96 KB Cobra. When it hits VTEC, you know it. It has surprised a number of local Mustangs around here.

So don't poo poo VTEC. It is good technology. It's just that there's no replacement for displacement. :)

mustang3X

Established Member
I had a spa yellow 2001 S2000, that was VTEC you could feel.

Ford could take a lesson from that cars chassis, shifter, and interior ergonomics. Although Honda hasn't a clue how to make a decent stereo, it sounded like crap.

Was nice having a ragtop with zero cowl shake, although I wouldn't trade my cobra for it I do miss that car it was kinda awesome

Twisted2

Established Member
Mwolson, I definitely agree that VTEC is awesome technology...and bulletproof, which is incredible. You can certainly build fast VTEC motors. Mine wasn't though.

I bought the car brand new, and then spent two years trying to convince myself it was fast, getting murdered by Mustangs. Then I traded it for a '98 Cobra, actually. 10 days later, the bank decided I was too upside-down, and made me bring the Cobra back. When I got back into my GSR, I genuinely thought the car was broken, the thing felt so slow. A few miles later, I knew it had always been that way. Lol. You're right though...if it had been a 4.6 with VTEC, I'd have loved the thing.

Mustang3X, I never drove an S2000, but they always sounded good on paper. Nice cars, at any rate.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Anytime I try to explain IMRCs to my fellow car friends that haven't owned one of these motors, they always compare it to VTEC

Expurple

Established Member
This is just a comment...that some may fail to appreciate. Every time I run my Cobra through the RPMs, I can't help but remember the years I spent driving my '01 Intergra GSR. I love the way my Cobra suddenly turns frantic after 4k rpms; the power band feels like what Honda's VTEC tried to do, yet hadn't the power to carry out.

With the Acura, the car would start screaming and carrying on at 4500 RPMs or whatever...yet go NOWHERE! Lol. It was all just noise. I dug the concept though--but the Cobra actually means it. I guess that's just around the time (4x00 RPMS) when Cobras come onto the cam/pipe. Anyhow, it's awesome, and I'm thoroughly enjoying mine:).

Here in Turkey European car are the norm.
People get shocked when they ride in the cobra and experience the rush that starts above 4000 rpm. Much like a low boost cobra.

I am extremely impressed by how well ford put together this engine. The sensation it gives is quite unique especially coming from an American V8.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
People get shocked when they ride in the cobra and experience the rush that starts above 4000 rpm. Much like a low boost cobra.

I am extremely impressed by how well ford put together this engine. The sensation it gives is quite unique especially coming from an American V8.

The reason that B headed 4vs feel like they have a buncha power above 4000 is becuase they have absolutley no power below 4000.

Twisted2

Established Member
The reason that B headed 4vs feel like they have a buncha power above 4000 is becuase they have absolutley no power below 4000.

That's one way to look at it!

I'm pretty impressed too. I kind of like a power band like that...high up in the rev range. It's a good kick. The more I drive the car, the more excited I get about it. Happy with my purchase:).

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I used to roll around in a 97 Prelude SH, I enjoyed, but after stepping into an 08 Bullitt, WOT in that prelude became child's play. Kind of sad, I still enjoyed the prelude however.
-Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread