An Interesting Oil Test

SlowSVT

Established Member
Interesting

One thing you have to consider is direct metal-to-metal contact like that means something inside the engine is dreadfully wrong regardless of which oil you use. Most any oil's film strength will prevent the siding surfaces from touching each other. Our biggest threat is oil starvation or an oil pump failure. Now make an oil that resolves both of those issues and I will be impressed. What little scoring that took place with the Royal Purple was impressive. Generally it's amazing what little wear takes place in a well cared for engine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
While now a little bit old, that is still a great article and quite revealing.

It's too bad they did not have an Amsoil sample available over there "down under", though it probably would not have been available in a parts store anyway.
They have a pretty credible product and I have myself seen it do quite well in Timken testing.

When this test first came out, I was both surprised and disappointed at the performance of Motul, and Red Line. I had expected both of them to test very closely to the Royal Purple, and that clearly was not the case.

I was already a Royal Purple user and fan when this test was published, so it was kind of nice seeing validation of my oil research in this very public way.

I wonder how some of the follow up tests came out and wonder if they have been posted on the internet yet.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Fellas....hate to rain on the parade here, but....

This test was biased towards the results, it was proven, and they even wrote a follow up article apologizing for the inaccurate results.

read more about the "one arm bandit" testing machine here

Amsoil's "one arm bandit" machine article

It was a big thread on BITOG. The article itself was heavily endorsed by RP.

Don't let this cloud Royal Purple, as it's great stuff, and in my top three recommended lubricant companies.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Fellas....hate to rain on the parade here, but....

This test was biased towards the results, it was proven, and they even wrote a follow up article apologizing for the inaccurate results.

read more about the "one arm bandit" testing machine here

Amsoil's "one arm bandit" machine article

It was a big thread on BITOG. The article itself was heavily endorsed by RP.

Don't let this cloud Royal Purple, as it's great stuff, and in my top three recommended lubricant companies.

:eek:

So, are you telling us that using the Saturday morning infomercial oil additive in our engines, then drain the sump dry and run it for 3 weeks may have negative consequences?!!!!!!! :uh oh:

THAT DOES IT! :cuss: I'm tired or being conned :nonono: OK guys, grab a farming tool, a torch, cancel your Royal Purple order and meet me in front of Cosmicdrifter house at 11:35 pm. :fm:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm not sure how deep the sarcasm content runs in that last post, but I assure you Troy is very straight up about RP being one of the top synthetic oil choices to use.

I have read a lot of his posts here and in the GT500 forums, and although he is an Amsoil user and dealer, I have never seen him bash RP or fail to recommend it as one of the really good oil choices out there.

The conditions simulated in that extreme pressure "Timken Test" are just not applicable to a modern engine, especially one with roller cam followers, like ours.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm not sure how deep the sarcasm content runs in that last post, but I assure you Troy is very straight up about RP being one of the top synthetic oil choices to use.

I have read a lot of his posts here and in the GT500 forums, and although he is an Amsoil user and dealer, I have never seen him bash RP or fail to recommend it as one of the really good oil choices out there.

The conditions simulated in that extreme pressure "Timken Test" are just not applicable to a modern engine, especially one with roller cam followers, like ours.

Thanks for clearing that up Jimmy, as you hit the nail on the head. I think RP is a fantastic lubricant, and when I need oil for a car, truck, machinery, etc...and I don't have the required weight in Amsoil at my finger tips, I run to Royal Purple at the parts store every time. It's a true synthetic with a great additive package, and I would have no worries at all running it in my Shelby.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
OF COURSE RP endorsed the test and article so there's a little bias there but other companies have done the same thing like Amsoil.. that being said there both quality oils..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is a great video. See how misleading the "one arm bandit" is.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WXbj5jbN8&feature=related"]YouTube - Exposing the "One Arm Bandit"[/nomedia]

Watch all of the video, and you will see that Head and Shoulders shampoo beat both Amsoil and Mobil 1 on the "one arm bandit" test. It's easy to mislead the public with this machine, and Amsoil shows you how.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
To those who are fans of royal purple here is a shot of my buddies motor after 80k miles
royalpurple.jpg

Here is another motor that is being built this one is only at around 45k miles with mobil one.
mobilone.jpg

This is my motor at 109k miles with nothing but mobil one all its life.
P2070750.jpg

P2080763.jpg

Here are the bearings.
P2090780.jpg

P2090779.jpg

P2090788.jpg

Are you trying making a point or a comparison without actually stating what it is?
What are you trying to say?:shrug:

trmin8ter03

Established Member
^Hu? Im trying to say RP is garbage. The stuff costs 9 bucks a quart and is that dirty what a joke. Maybe I didnt describe the pictures well enough for most. The first one was with RP and is full of oil sluge. I wish I had more pictures to show how bad it was. If your using RP maybe it would be a good idea to pull the oil pan and see what kind shape the internals are in.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
^Hu? Im trying to say RP is garbage. The stuff costs 9 bucks a quart and is that dirty what a joke. Maybe I didnt describe the pictures well enough for most. The first one was with RP and is full of oil sluge. I wish I had more pictures to show how bad it was. If your using RP maybe it would be a good idea to pull the oil pan and see what kind shape the internals are in.

You can not be serious.

So RP is garbage because it looks dirty in the engine picture?
And Mobile One is clean, so it must be from GOD?

So owner decided change intervals and usage play no role in how dirty an oil might get?

What are these engines being rebuilt for in the first place?

Mine is still in my car with RP and it runs just fine. I don't need to drop my pan to check for sludge.

You are stretching here. Your anti Royal Purple evidence is significantly less than compelling.

EDIT: BTW there is no sludge pictured in any of those engine pictures. You apparently do not know the difference between a slightly dirty oil and sludge.

Last edited:

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Well, the guy is an avid mustang fanatic he changes his oil on a regular basis. The reason for the build is because he got a stroker kit. The evidence is in the pictures open your eyes. I'm not saying mobil 1 is the greatest stuff in the world but as you can see from the pictures it is very clean compared to the RP. I am also not going to get cases of mobil 1 for life simply from posting on here and talking about how great it is. I did't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I simply wanted to share how my buddies motor looked after using RP. Theres already been enough debates on here about what oil to use. Im pretty sure everyone already has their preference on oil and are going to stick to it no matter what. But if I tore down my motor and it looked like that I wouldnt use the stuff, no way!!!!!!!

StevemcQueen

SVT MVP
Established Member
Royal purple all the way. Ive used it in all my cars. Never any problems. I'm not a fan of mobile one. Btw i didn't see any sludge either. Termin8er03 do you know what engine sludge looks like? Like Jimmy said it only looks dirty. That's what happens to oil in an engine.

trmin8ter03

Established Member
Royal purple all the way. Ive used it in all my cars. Never any problems. I'm not a fan of mobile one. Btw i didn't see any sludge either. Termin8er03 do you know what engine sludge looks like? Like Jimmy said it only looks dirty. That's what happens to oil in an engine.

Um no I dont know what oil sludge looks like....... Was oil sluge when I ran my finger through the block and a bunch of crap stuck to it? So your saying its normal for a engine to be that dirty and its a good thing. But the mobil 1 is clean and your not a fan of it. Can you give me some reasons why your not a fan of mobil 1?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Engine oil gets dirty. When it does it eventually gets changed out. Though maybe not just before a rebuild.
Mobil One will get dirty too. Do you actually think it doesn't?

How long have you been building engines? You see dirty oil and assume it's the oil's fault? Did both engine get that same oil change intervals and driving usage?
Do you even know? Do you know why that kinda really does matter?

If you are trying to point out something with those photos, some descriptive captions would be needed, though at this point your credibility as an engine forensics expert is in great jeopardy.

You might as well let it go.:nonono:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy,

My 1999 Trans Am with an LS1 V8 engine was dirty inside like that, and I was using German Castrol 0W-30 back in those days. Then, it was a true group IV PAO base stock.

One day, I went to do a camshaft swap, and OMG.....I found sludge city in my engine. How could this be, I always used a top tier synthetic engine lubricant? It's easy, I bought the car used at 25,000 miles. When I contacted the previous owner, which was a woman, she admitted to me that she ran cheap quick oil lube grade lubricants, and only changed her oil 3 times since she bought it new.

Wonder what my engine looked like inside BEFORE I began cleansing it with a true synthetic? I can only imagine.

Trust me, the only way a true group IV PAO base stock that Royal Purple uses would ever sludge up an engine like that is.....if it was used for more than 15,000 miles and neglected. Or, it was like that before Royal Purple was used, and RP was blamed for it.

I think I recall the owner of the car in question bought the car used, with considerable miles on it. The engine picture is the original engine from the car.

Users who are viewing this thread