Amsoil Engine Masters Challenge - New rules

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Both are sweet engines. We really are spoiled with our aftermarket and how cheap we can make power on both platforms.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Great discussion fellas. I was expecting the LT5 Mercury debate to happen here. Keep it going.

I also agree to a competition with set parameters, making the competition more nail biting. Same thing in NASCAR, getting beat by another driver, not a more expensive, better sponsored car. However, when GM guys bash the Coyote and other successful mod motors, it reminds me of the engine ban we are discussing here. If the LSx is so superior (in their minds), why ban the modular? That's my main point.

This.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would say the LS is a better bang for the buck engine vs a mod motor, mostly because of junk yard pieces available and a cam swap can be done total for the price of 4 cams for a mod motor. but realistically the boltons for both are roughly the same, ported heads for a LS are cheap (mod motors don't really need ported heads), and they have the displacement advantage. also I think the biggest factor besides price is the fact that a LS motor will fit in almost anything, with a DOHC mod motor you need a wide engine bay, but when you equal things out in displacement and disregard pricing and are just trying to build the baddest small block available the DOHC mods win hands down, I have yet to see anyone build a nasty N/A LS smaller than 5L and produce the same numbers as the coyote. that would be interesting though.

I agree with everything you said here. LSx offers more bang for the buck. However, when money is no object, go modular. There is a local guy in my town with a LSx 468 CI build. It's hands down the most awesome NA LSx I have ever seen. Mounted in a 67 Camaro, it runs 6.1 in the 1/8th mile on engine only.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I agree with everything you said here. LSx offers more bang for the buck. However, when money is no object, go modular. There is a local guy in my town with a LSx 468 CI build. It's hands down the most awesome NA LSx I have ever seen. Mounted in a 67 Camaro, it runs 6.1 in the 1/8th mile on engine only.

imagine if the Ford builders were allowed to use the coyote in the build off and bring the displacement up to 400.

Sooo... why not have an LS class and a Mod class? Is that not the simplest solution?

because the mod motors will beat them again and hot rod mag can't allow their sacred engine to be trampled on.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So it ultimately comes down to butt hurt. They just don't want the Mod to ever see more success than the LS.

chao5.0

Established Member
because if they don't put a limit on the engines builders will come up with 454 cubic inch small blocks, at that point I guess they figure just do a big block and make the power, but Kasse has shown he can put Ford on top there as well.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
because if they don't put a limit on the engines builders will come up with 454 cubic inch small blocks, at that point I guess they figure just do a big block and make the power, but Kasse has shown he can put Ford on top there as well.

Playing devils advocate here, but the ability to extract lots of extra cubes out of the small block was a pretty significant feature that the LS series of engines always had. Limiting that put a big handcuff on the GM mils for sure. If they are able to do it, why not let them do it?

My main point is, while the outright elimination of the modular appears shady at best, there were already rules that limited every platform in one way or another.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sooo... why not have an LS class and a Mod class? Is that not the simplest solution?

Even though they are in a different class, modular engines would produce more power overall. This doesn't sit well with GM LSx fans, so the best solution is to remove them from the competition in the first place.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Include the cost to produce each power plant next to the results. A simple dollar per horsepower would be a good point of contention.

chao5.0

Established Member
Playing devils advocate here, but the ability to extract lots of extra cubes out of the small block was a pretty significant feature that the LS series of engines always had. Limiting that put a big handcuff on the GM mils for sure. If they are able to do it, why not let them do it?

My main point is, while the outright elimination of the modular appears shady at best, there were already rules that limited every platform in one way or another.

this magazine also still thinks in a old school way, small blocks never exceeded 400 cubic inch in the early days, anything bigger than that and it was all big blocks with the exception of Pontiac that used the same block for their 350's up to the 455. hot rod mag is outdated at best but they cater to the old school hot rod world and those guys are pretty much GM guys.

everytime the Ford engines have gained an advantage they've taken it away, I'm not 100% sure but I think the BB Hemi is banned to because if they don't then in the BB competition the SOHC, BOSS, and Hemi engines would destroy anything GM puts out from the factory.

this "competition" is a great example of if you beat our favorite then we'll just take our ball and go home mentality.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member

This would be the only solution. They made a mistake two years ago allowing the 4v mods in the competition. It's obviously the more efficient design so it was going to win. The other designs aren't inferior products, they're just different. I know I love seeing the pontiacs and 409 chevys and clevelands and FE engines. Without those engines in the competition I wouldn't even bother following it, the Nostalgia competition will be my personal favorite this year.

Everyone likes different things which is what makes this sport great. How boring would it be to have 20 4v mod motors compete and nothing else?

ebrow21

Established Member
I have the April and May 2015 Hot Rod (digital subscriptions rock). I'm not sure if anyone reading this thread has read the magazine. I think they're aware of the inherent advantages. Hence:

For next year's competition (actually oct 5-9th) they're doing multiple classes, multiple days.

1.) Hemi Showdown
2.) Nostalga v8's
3.) Chevy LS vs. Ford Mod Motors
4.) Spec Small-Block
5.) Unlimited

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I kinda chuckled at the Coyote 5.0 versus GM LS3.

Link

"Current production OEM production passenger car 6.2LS3 and Ford Coyote 5.0 MOD motors to be specified. Normally aspirated. This class is going to be all about the top end as each competitor will be required to show up their parts ready to bolt on to a Hot Rod provided Short Block."

6.2 vs. 5.0

You know the provided short blocks will be stock CI. This is going to be comical! The 5.0 is going to make an ass out of the LS3, and at 1.2L less displacement.

chao5.0

Established Member
I kinda chuckled at the Coyote 5.0 versus GM LS3.

Link

"Current production OEM production passenger car 6.2LS3 and Ford Coyote 5.0 MOD motors to be specified. Normally aspirated. This class is going to be all about the top end as each competitor will be required to show up their parts ready to bolt on to a Hot Rod provided Short Block."

6.2 vs. 5.0

You know the provided short blocks will be stock CI. This is going to be comical! The 5.0 is going to make an ass out of the LS3, and at 1.2L less displacement.

depends on the compression ratio provided on those shortblocks, I could see hot rod providing a low compression short block for the coyote just to handicap the mod motor. we already see 500+rwhp coyotes with stock short blocks and heads with just bolt ons, stage 3 cams NSR, and intake manifold swap to a CJ. imagine what is going to happen when a pro builder gets a hold of one and really tweaks the combo to their liking.

Users who are viewing this thread