AMG DL65 vs 2.9 Whipple GT 500

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
A Surgeon friend of mine, I'll call Dr. Doom, has a AMG CL 65 V12. He is pretty proud of the fact that it makes over 600 hp. Anyway he was telling me how fast it was and that there was no way my Shelby could keep up with it. OK what ever I didn't mention that the Shelby wasn't stock. You really can't tell a surgeon anything anyway and I wasn't real sure how fast his car was.:lol1:

Well fast forward a couple of months and I'm leaving the parking lot and who did I see in the rear view mirror but Dr. Doom and his AMG. So I thought its now or never. So I did a burn out using my line lock. There was so much smoke I lost sight of him for a couple of seconds. Now convinced that my tires were warm I rolled to a stop on the Mexican highway service road. There was no traffic not even a Mexican Donkey cart in sight.

He stopped next to me. I told him to honk 3 times and go. Well he honked twice then nailed it and then honked the third time. I thought: "So that is how you play.":lol: It was catchup time for me and he was a 1.5 cars ahead. I feathered the throttle keeping tire spin to a minimum and passed him at the end of 1st then went WOT at about 75. I quickly stuck 3-4 cars on him and shut it down at 130.

I slowed to a stop. And Dr. Doom pulled up next to me with a surprised look on his face. He said : F**K that's fast how many horsepower does that thing have?" Me: " Oh its a little over 700 at the wheels maybe a little over 800 at the crank." Dr. Doom: "Well damn I thought I'd kill you. Next time maybe I should ask before I run my mouth." I chucked a little and headed back to the Texas boarder. The next time I saw Dr. Doom he asked what he could do to his AMG to make it faster. Maybe sometimes surgeons listen after all. :-D

Last edited:

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
*snicker* us old guys always drive the fastest cars! :dancenana: Good story, +1 on the car compliments! :rockon:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I would LOVE a gt500, to bad I would rather NOT have a $600+ monthly payment, lol. good kill. Hopefully someday I can get my hands on a gt500..."and experience the terror" (insert Jeremy Clarkson impersonation)

Mr370z

GO BABY GO
Established Member
Nice kill man! You have an incredible car, I blame you (and another guy on here who has an all blacked out one) that put me on a GT500 hunt for a short period. I'm still sorta not over it. :beer:

res0n0xg

Established Member
Well if he truly has a twin turbo v12 those cars can easily be made into monsters and should be able to compete with you from a roll if he gets a tune/set of tires.

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Well if he truly has a twin turbo v12 those cars can easily be made into monsters and should be able to compete with you from a roll if he gets a tune/set of tires.

Yeah that is pretty much what I told him. Told him to get a tune and have the boost increased. Don't want to give him too much help though,
suspect.gif

exdeath

Established Member
Those cars are already 22 psi from the factory tune to get that power in the first place. Not much more to do to it.

Last edited:

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
I saw one of those cars a couple days ago, nice looking cars for sure. I made a thread about it in pics & vids. I remember someone posting that they weigh about 4,900 pounds, talk about a pig. Good kill though, I'm sure your car is a screamer.

exdeath

Established Member
U know nothing about a cl65.....:bash::bash::bash:

Please educate me then how you are running more than the already stock 22 lbs boost on pump 91? If there is more to be had, it's not as simple as upping the boost...

I swear I read stock boost 22 psi from 2 sources when I was looking them up a week or two ago, is that wrong?

There are other model year cl65s that leave plenty on the table to up the boost, but the latest v12 biturbo is already 22 lbs...

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
ahahaha, you took his heart right out without a scalpel! great kill

redfire03 svt

Established Member
tell him to call up Kleeman, Tuning Technology Motor Sports or Rentech for a ECU and TCU tune, add drag radials to his car and run him again. He will be making around 600rwhp/800+rwtq and give you a hell of a run:)

res0n0xg

Established Member
Please educate me then how you are running more than the already stock 22 lbs boost on pump 91? If there is more to be had, it's not as simple as upping the boost...

I swear I read stock boost 22 psi from 2 sources when I was looking them up a week or two ago, is that wrong?

There are other model year cl65s that leave plenty on the table to up the boost, but the latest v12 biturbo is already 22 lbs...

You're wrong, the new 2011 model with a slightly modified tune from AMG puts out like 18.5 PSI and makes even more power, the 2010 and below were somewhere around 15 PSI.

On the dyno with a tune (i don't know if boost changed or not) everything else stock they make 625rwhp and 750rwtq to the wheels. Someone should tune one for E85, that would be sooooooo cool to see

Users who are viewing this thread