American collectors ins. A+++

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I keep forgetting to get this ball rolling....Allstate is raping me, even with all the multi car and multi policy discounts :nonono:

After way too many years of Allstate raping me on my auto policy, I finally dumped them this year and went with USAA. Huge savings, so I'm very happy. Not as much as those collector car insurance policies, but still substantial.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I need collectors insurance being my car is valued as shit with my regular insurance, problem is my car is outside I dont have a garage but I have a locking car cover and only drive it on weekends or nice days does anybody insure without a garage :( ?

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
jesus I just did a quote with American and it was between 1200-1700 a year depending on coverage's....

I pay for 3 vehicles full coverage on all 3 with $250 deductible from progressive with $3,500 additional coverage on both stangs.

my cars 03 cobra
03 mustang gt convertible
05 ford freestar van

$2,136 per year for all 3 full coverage.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
If any of you guys have any questions about collector insurance or want to check into collector insurance further, feel free to contact me. I'm a licensed agent and an Account Rep for Hagerty.

Please pm me your number, I would like to get a quote?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I use American as well..I pay $525 for the year with 3500 annual mileage restriction

You do have to pay for the year upfront, but I have been very happy with them and the value of my car has appreciated from 30k to 32k over the past two years.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I am with State Farm. I have the multiple vehicle discount, and the Cobra is under there collector car policy (10 years or older). The car must be in locked garage, 2k maximum mileage a year. I am paying $150.00 a year for $22k coverage. The bad thing is I don't know of any policies that will cover the car when racing!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have American as well. pay about $600 a year for unbelievable coverage on my gt500. $1 million coverage, ZERO deductible. no mileage limit. only real requirements is that the car is garaged and is not daily driven. they say you can drive it work every now and then and take it on a cruise, they just dont want it out there every day.

they quoted me like $400 for my harley f150. had to convince them it was "collectible" though lol. they asked me what kind of mods does it have and what makes it collectible etc.. typically a build number is enough for them but i had to fluff it a little with custom stereo, suspension, paint etc... told them it was a show truck. not that i need awesome coverage on it, i just want to save about $400 a year :kaboom:

my buddy had them on his chevelle which was stolen. they cut him a check for $30k no questions asked. i dont think it was worth that much but that was the agree upon value. it was just below their threshold for having to have it appraised (older cars).

collector car insurance was one deciding factor (one of many) in why i went with a gt500 for a new 5.0. huge savings on insurance. i wouldnt be DDing either car.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I went ahead and went with grundy. $0 deductible, $375/yr. Allstate was charging me $1050 with a $100 ded, so I'm pleased with the switch.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am with State Farm. I have the multiple vehicle discount, and the Cobra is under there collector car policy (10 years or older). The car must be in locked garage, 2k maximum mileage a year. I am paying $150.00 a year for $22k coverage. The bad thing is I don't know of any policies that will cover the car when racing!

nobody will cover your car in a "competition" race. MOST will cover a driving school like car guys .. which takes place on a track. get clarification up front tho.

quad

Established Member
i have American as well. pay about $600 a year for unbelievable coverage on my gt500. $1 million coverage, ZERO deductible. no mileage limit. only real requirements is that the car is garaged and is not daily driven. they say you can drive it work every now and then and take it on a cruise, they just dont want it out there every day.

they quoted me like $400 for my harley f150. had to convince them it was "collectible" though lol. they asked me what kind of mods does it have and what makes it collectible etc.. typically a build number is enough for them but i had to fluff it a little with custom stereo, suspension, paint etc... told them it was a show truck. not that i need awesome coverage on it, i just want to save about $400 a year :kaboom:

my buddy had them on his chevelle which was stolen. they cut him a check for $30k no questions asked. i dont think it was worth that much but that was the agree upon value. it was just below their threshold for having to have it appraised (older cars).

collector car insurance was one deciding factor (one of many) in why i went with a gt500 for a new 5.0. huge savings on insurance. i wouldnt be DDing either car.
What's your agreed value - 30k?

quad

Established Member
nobody will cover your car in a "competition" race. MOST will cover a driving school like car guys .. which takes place on a track. get clarification up front tho.
What do you think of this RDJ?

Track insurance? - 6speedonline.com Forums

From user: Mathism

"Here is what I wrote back in April 2008....

While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing."

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am pretty comfortable with what he has to say. Car Guys events are NOT preparing you for a competition, they are designed to teach you how to drive your car to get the most out of it no matter the situation.

There was a guy whose strut towers let go at a car guys event. shoved the front struts straight up through the tower and into the hood. cost a bundle to fix the damage, his insurance paid up.

I have checked with two of my insurance companies they both said a Car Guys event would be covered since it is drivers ed and not a competition.

What do you think of this RDJ?

Track insurance? - 6speedonline.com Forums

From user: Mathism

"Here is what I wrote back in April 2008....

While the trend to exclude coverage for DE/AX events is growing, in my experience most insurance companies have NOT changed the standard racing exclusion to cover those events. I'm an insurance broker, so I pay close attention to these clauses in my policy. READ YOURS. The applicable exclusion under my own Safeco policy states (this is for both liability and physical damage - comp/collision):
Excluded - Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. competing in; or
b. practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

This is the same language used in the standard ISO Personal Auto Policy (edition 01 05). Not all companies use the standard language, so consult your policy for confirmation. Quality carriers such as Hartford, Traveler's, Safeco, Fireman's Fund, Chubb and most AIG policies will use similar language. I have not been able to find any standard endorsement that expands on this exclusion. It is possible that certain carriers or states may have manuscript or proprietary endorsements that further restrict coverage.

Therefore, I consider myself to be fully insured for both DE & AX. Here is why:
DE - the vehicle is inside a 'facility designed for racing,' but the purpose is not a contest nor is there a competition.
AX - While this is a competition, it is NOT inside a facility designed for racing (usually). A note here -- if you are doing an autocross held on a race track or maybe even on the parking lot for a race track, coverage could be questionable.

I personally feel quite comfortable expecting coverage for anything that is not a competitive DE event (especially when considered as drivers ed) and any auto-cross held on a non-race track facility parking lot. I tell my customers the same thing."

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member

Completely false info. There are specialty insurances you can purchase for competition and racing events. Keep up the good work as usual!!:nonono:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Completely false info. There are specialty insurances you can purchase for competition and racing events. Keep up the good work as usual!!:nonono:
I see you fail at reading comprehension and context .. as usual.

what I said is exactly right for a normal policy. yes a lot of them have SEPARATE policies that will cover racing events but that is not what we were talking about there sport. I hear they give remedial reading comprehension courses at night school. you might want to think about hitting one up

Loco03SVT

Established Member
Haggerty does have a hp limit though - 700 hp. When I called to get an estimate and asked the salesman about hp limits he told me that was theirs.

https://www.hagerty.ca/Collector-car-insurance/Does-my-vehicle-qualify

Vehicles that may not qualify
Hagerty specializes in coverage for collector vehicles. Regrettably, there are some vehicles we do not cover due to their limited collectability, the way they are used and/or the extraordinary risk their use may pose, including:

Vehicles with 700 hp or greater (manufactured or modified)

Just an FYI.....the link on our website that you posted was referencing our Canadian website and our Canadian collector insurance products. The Canadian vehicle exclusions and requirements are different from our US vehicle exclusions and requirements. The following link is for our US website and references the correct information for those that reside in the US.
https://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-insurance/Does-my-vehicle-qualify
The previously noted horsepower limitation of 700hp applies to the Canadian Hagerty collector insurance program. The US Hagerty collector insurance program allows for vehicle horsepower to exceed the 700hp threshold. Vehicles with high horsepower can also be written under our motorsports program.
https://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-insurance/Motorsports

Again, if anyone has any questions regarding collector insurance feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to answer any questions or discuss any items you would like further clarity on. :rockon:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm glad I made the switch to grundy a couple years ago. Saving about 700 dollars a year. I pay 350.00 a year with agreed value at 23.5k.

Anyone that doesn't dd there's and is 25yrs or older should look into collector car ins.

Users who are viewing this thread