AMAZING Spec chatter almost 100% gone - how I did it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I've bitched and moaned about the chatter/shudder on my Spec 3+ clutch for a while because quite frankly it blew donkey balls and sucked so bad.

Last night I pulled the tranny to replace the TOB because it had started making noise about 1000 miles after the Spec clutch install. It's now been approx 3k miles since Spec install and TOB was driving me nuts. I came SOOOO close to replacing that clutch too while I had the tranny out because I hate it so much but decided to live with it one more summer since a mcleod twin disk costs at least $700. Replaced clutch cable too while I was at it.

Put car back together this afternoon and went for a test drive and loan behold that Spec 3+ clutch is almost chatter free. It drives so close to stock I about fainted. Unfreaking believable. How on earth does the throw out bearing cause it to keep shuddering at low rpms when trying to pull in your garage etc. after the clutch is broke in?

My theory is that the break in period on the clutch when it shudders and shakes so bad destroys the TOB and replacing it after wards cures the shudder. Just my theory.

So to those that put in a Spec 3+ and still have a shudder at low rpms unless you rev the engine and slip the clutch when taking off this could be your cure too. I'd love to hear from others who try this. I know there's a ton of you on the forums with the same complaint. Sucks you have to drop the tranny to do it but man if you get the same results as me you'll be SO happy too.

Please report back results if anyone tries this too.

Malcolm

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Wow, what a 180...
Malcolm. My Spec 3+ with steel flywheel chatter like a complete freight train for 500 miles.
My Ford TOB went bad 2 days after the install. This theory of your might be correct, but I felt as if my clutch was perhaps adjusted incorrectly.
Broke the clutch in and 1000 miles later replaced with a new FORD TOB and all is well!
I am glad I finished breaking in the clutch before I replaced the bad TOB for this reason.
Subscribing!

Glad your problems are worked out Malcolm. The Spec 3+ is a beauty. As far as your theory goes, it could be possible, but it doesn't explain why so many people have had no problems at all with a new TOB after installing the Spec 3+. Nevertheless, your theory could still be valid.

TRBO VNM

interesting. good info. all the ones I installed, the customers/friends said about 1000 miles the chatter almost fully went away. I never had to replace a TOB either. not sure what is different with your setup. good to hear you are happy with it now.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I used the Spec supplied TOB on initial install. Others on here have said it sucks and perhaps that's why it failed? I wonder if those who used a FMS TOB right from the get go had better luck and never experienced a failed TOB and their chatter eventually went away? Others may have done the same as me and used the Spec TOB and perhaps it's a luck of the draw and some will fail during break in and others not.

All I know is I'm am so pleased now. That was the one thing driving me completely nuts on an otherwise perfect car and now it drives just perfect :beer:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
i had a spec 2+ in my mach 1, with the spec TOB...

it chatterd ...u could here it real bad if u went to a drive thru

it also shudderd alot... bet a new FMS TOB would have fixed it

felt great the 1st 400 miles, then it stated shuddering ;(

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
My spec in my old 96 cobra used to chatter and I couldn't stand it. I had a stage 1 that lasted not even 1000 miles and then the spec 2 chattered the whole time I had it. I was never happy with spec.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Man, it seems like feedback on these Spec clutches are really hit, or miss! Malcolm, glad you solved it, though, even though it is a big pain in the a$$ to have to drop the tranny again.

xenodragon

Established Member
I'll just avoid Spec, I hear too many people complaining about the chatter...and between my 3.93 gears, the normal transmission noise, shifter noise, TOB whine...I'll just pass

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I'll just avoid Spec, I hear too many people complaining about the chatter...and between my 3.93 gears, the normal transmission noise, shifter noise, TOB whine...I'll just pass

Probably not a bad decision. If i could do it all again, i would run the stock clutch/input shaft setup till it broke rather than replace it for safe insurance it wont break.

However, with that said... AFTER a LOOOOONNNNGGG time of not having the clutch right, i finally have the Spec 3+ about as good as i imagine its gonna get. i am on my 3rd TOB, first Ford Racing one though... the chatter/shudder is nearly completely gone. I notice it sometimes and it pisses me off but that is because i forget its not stock anymore..

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Good plan. Even though I seem to have my chatter under control now I'd still never buy another one of these clutches. What a total PITA.

If i could do it all again, i would run the stock clutch/input shaft setup till it broke rather than replace it for safe insurance it wont break.

You probably did good though. I'm a fair amount under your power level and I twisted the stock 10 spline and had to replace it. That was driving it really hard though and racing buddies all the time.

ericyow

Established Member
Man. I'm in the boat you were in. I love how strong my clutch feels but I hate the low rpm chatter. Now I've got to research what it's going to take to replace the TOB. I'm nervous about dropping the tranny myself. Should I just have a shop do it for me?

Thanks! You give me hope. I was so looking at buying a new clutch just to avoid the chatter.

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
You just might be my hero. I'm on board with this right now. I bought my car with a Spec 3+ clutch a couple months ago. Clutch has about 2,000 miles on it now. It doesn't chatter much, but it shudders going into first to either pull in the garage or to start from a complete stop. I can hear my TOB squealing a bit too. So, I ordered a new Ford Racing TOB, Lethal's forged TOB sleeve, and the LDC freeplay mod.

I'm just waiting to save up some extra money to pay a friend to help me put it all in. I'll be sure to share my results. I'm excited because this is one of the last things keeping me from saying I have a perfect driving cobra.

Maybe I missed it... what TOB did you put in?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Man. I'm in the boat you were in. I love how strong my clutch feels but I hate the low rpm chatter. Now I've got to research what it's going to take to replace the TOB. I'm nervous about dropping the tranny myself. Should I just have a shop do it for me?

Thanks! You give me hope. I was so looking at buying a new clutch just to
avoid the chatter.

I hear you man. That low speed chatter really sucks. Each person has different skills and I can't really know if you can do this or have the correct tools etc. If you're mechanically inclined and can do this sort of work it's really not bad.

You just might be my hero. I'm on board with this right now. I bought my car with a Spec 3+ clutch a couple months ago. Clutch has about 2,000 miles on it now. It doesn't chatter much, but it shudders going into first to either pull in the garage or to start from a complete stop. I can hear my TOB squealing a bit too. So, I ordered a new Ford Racing TOB, Lethal's forged TOB sleeve, and the LDC freeplay mod.

I'm just waiting to save up some extra money to pay a friend to help me put it all in. I'll be sure to share my results. I'm excited because this is one of the last things keeping me from saying I have a perfect driving cobra.

Maybe I missed it... what TOB did you put in?

I replaced the Spec failed TOB with a Ford Racing TOB.

FYI - when I pulled out the Spec TOB it had little visible play in my hand. I would not have guessed it was failed by the way it felt. Also my TOB noise could only be heard in the car with windows down and you had to be next to a wall or another car so the sound would echo off of it. I also have a very loud exhaust so maybe that's why. I'm still so very amazed at the difference it made to my clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread