Am I wrong? Stock Terminator times?

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Talking to a guy on another forum, he says bone stock to the paper filter and factory tires terminators are running 12.4 ets...I thought, though I could be wrong which is why I'm asking, they were running high 12s in stock trim. Whats the truth? Just curious cause this somehow is the basis for his argument that the new shelby is gonna outrun the new Z06, which I disagree with. lil help?

Tranzlucent

Invade and Terminate!
Established Member
Given traction, 12.4's are possible. However 12.6-13.0 is pretty average. Will the new z06 outrun the cobra in the quarter? Maybe, maybe not. Many 03-04 outrun z's in the quarter now and vice versa. I honestly think (magazine racing here) it could be a driver's race stock for stock in the quarter with everday drivers. Not some race car driver in each.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Tranzlucent said:
Given traction, 12.4's are possible. However 12.6-13.0 is pretty average. Will the new z06 outrun the cobra in the quarter? Maybe, maybe not. Many 03-04 outrun z's in the quarter now and vice versa. I honestly think (magazine racing here) it could be a driver's race stock for stock in the quarter with everday drivers. Not some race car driver in each.
interesting, yeah the whole discussion came up when I said it would probably be a drivers race, but that given equal drivers in equal conditions the Z should probably take the new cobra, he used the fact that current cobras are in low 12s, the new shelbys should be high 11s. I dunno, thats all speculation, but I thought cobras were running 12.9s and such...guess I was wrong, thanks!

WDW MKR

Established Member
As Tranzlucent stated, stock 03/04 cars are capable of 12.4s, but average 12.6-13.0 with your typical driver and track. With regards to the new Shelby and Z06, it just ain't happening with stock cars and equal driver. The Z06 will have more power, less weight, and better balance. Anything can happen, and drivers will likely make the difference, but the Z06 will be a faster car.

sckcobra

Established Member
there isnt going to be anything stock for stock that is south of 70 grand that will touch the new zo6! i was just reading an article that it had the 2nd fastest lap time (stock) aroung nurburing germany. that thing will be in the 11's easy stock. the only car that beat it was the carrera gt (price of a nice house) and when the z06 ran the conditons were "less than ideal". every test i have read on the new z06 seems like it backs all the hype and then some. one things for sure, that its gonna be one bad motherf**ker straight out of the box. and ounce the modding begins it will get very ugly very fast!

sckcobra

Established Member
as far the stock terminator times i think that 12.40's are possible only if everything is perfect. cool weather, perfect track, perfect driver, ect... high 12's to low 13's are what i see the most. mid 12's for a good driver on a nice day.

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
MM&FF got a stock Cobra to do 12.67 with a good headwind.

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Come on guys, let's be truthful to ourselves. Forget what the mags say or the magz run for times.... How many (if anyone) has ever run even close to a 12.4 with a stock cobra....? I am guessing no one. Part of that might be due to the fact that no one keeps it stock long enough to bring it there. :banana:

I am gonna say realistic times are 12.8+. Just my opinion.

David

sckcobra

Established Member
yes for the most part you are right, i mean i think you have to go with the average driver on the average day. just because it has happened doesnt mean its probable. anyhow its not like hi 12's is anything to sneeze at. a terminator in stock form is still gonna put a hurtin' on most people that think that they have "fast" cars! :burnout:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Come on guys, let's be truthful to ourselves. Forget what the mags say or the magz run for times.... How many (if anyone) has ever run even close to a 12.4 with a stock cobra....? I am guessing no one. Part of that might be due to the fact that no one keeps it stock long enough to bring it there. :banana:

David

Several have - in the cooler weather....all you need is a good 60ft...

Last edited:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Cobra10th Anniv said:
Several = 13 ppl

13,000 cars produced

.1%... (yes that is less than 1/2 a percent) Not likely scenario that you will see 12.4's :D

David

I beg to differ with you on that...Let some of the Big Dog Cobra Drag racer's here run all 13,000 cars in the cool october weather and you'll be upping that % big time. I think even I could do it now!

A couple of years back one of my buddies (an experienced 1/4 driver) took his 1 month old bone stock cobra to the track in 80 degree weather. His 1st run was a 13.10 - he missed 4th gear, 2nd run - 12.71. He had to leave after his 2nd run, but said if he could stay and work on the launch he could see 12.4's.

It's all in the driving skills with that cool weather...... :burnout:

RixSikcobra04

I say 12.7-13.2 stock. We are sooooo spoiled now. I remember just a few years ago if we could get our stock cars INTO the 13's, we were ecstatic.

Terminators rock :rockon:

edit: unless Ford puts a 550 hp motor in the Shelby, we're gonna have to mod to keep pace with the z06....which thankfully none of us have a problem doing. Can't wait :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I think it will be interesting to see what kinds of mods can be done to the new car. If you look at the s/c pulley, it seems to be some kind of clutch device. I think the old "replace the pulley" trick may be gone. But where there's a will...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cobra10th Anniv said:

David
But if you read the posts above you'll see that people are only saying it is "capable" of 12.4. Which it is. But 99.9% of owners will probably not get better than a 12.5-12.6 totally stock. I think the point is that it is possible. Which means someone claiming they did it wouldn't necessarily be talking B.S.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I agree with Bob, capable of and what an individual will run are 2 different things. I couldnt run better than 13.04@110 bone stock and 12.84@112 with intake exhaust. Can it run quicker with a better driver than me who really drives it like they stole it? Of course. Im happy with my [email protected] :thumbsup:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
The new Z will kill a ported eaton Cobra....STOCK! Granted there are just a FEW awesome driver's that have ported eatons alone in the 10's.

Last edited:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
The new Z will kill a ported eaton Cobra....STOCK! Granted there are just a FEW awesome driver's that have ported eatons alone in the 10's.
if you mean the new Z06..then duh, from reading all the posts the new Z06 was getting cmpared to the new "Cobra" Which got off topic from the real topic lol

id say the terminator could be a 12.5-13.2 second car

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Black96SVT said:
if you mean the new Z06..then duh, from reading all the posts the new Z06 was getting cmpared to the new "Cobra" Which got off topic from the real topic lol

id say the terminator could be a 12.5-13.2 second car
There's not even a comparison there either! It's like comparing apples to oranges. The new Cobra is expected to run 12.4's in the 1/4 off the showroom floor. The Z on the other hand will be a mid 11 sec. car and damn near 600 lbs. lighter. Like I said, no comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread