• Yes

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 30 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlownAway03

Established Member
This past Friday I actually made a swap back to IRS from a solid axle. The axle was an 8.8 out of a 2001 Bullit. I had upgraded to 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, 05 mustang gt locker, MM spherical bearing lower control arms, UPR spherical bearing upper control arms. The IRS has Steeda diff brace, subframe bushings, and diff bushings.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This past Friday I actually made a swap back to IRS from a solid axle. The axle was an 8.8 out of a 2001 Bullit. I had upgraded to 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, 05 mustang gt locker, MM spherical bearing lower control arms, UPR spherical bearing upper control arms. The IRS has Steeda diff brace, subframe bushings, and diff bushings.

Whether or not you are crazy is a matter of opinion. I have one of each and will not swap either one. the GENERAL feeling is that solids are better for dragstrips and IRS is better for road course stuff. There are plenty of people on both sides of the argument however.

SeankySnake

Established Member
I wound never get rid of my IRS! A properly set up IRS to me will hook just as good if not better than a solid axle. I have added ac427Cobra's full IRS Upgrade Kit, DSS Level 5 Half Shafts, Tru-Trac locker, Fore Diff Cover and I can beat on it at the track and have a blast in the corners on the way home! And have a much better ride!

MVD

Established Member
I wound never get rid of my IRS! A properly set up IRS to me will hook just as good if not better than a solid axle. I have added ac427Cobra's full IRS Upgrade Kit, DSS Level 5 Half Shafts, Tru-Trac locker, Fore Diff Cover and I can beat on it at the track and have a blast in the corners on the way home! And have a much better ride!

The question is not about if an IRS can hook, but instead, if you will make it past the 60' without a broken half shaft.

SeankySnake

Established Member

The question is not about if an IRS can hook, but instead, if you will make it past the 60' without a broken half shaft.
:dw:

BlownAway03

Established Member
I thought it would be fun to get a poll going on this topic. I honestly thought the solid would have more votes. After having both setups I'm gonna have to say the IRS is better. Ride quality is night and day and I did better at the track when I was on the IRS (and never broke a halfshaft). I went to a SRA setup in preparation for nitrous and heavy track duty (and it was a free swap). Since I've cut back on my racing a lot I decided now would be a good time to go back to my original setup (free swap again). I also think it's kinda cool to have an IRS because it's a setup that the average mustang doesn't have.

Boostinator

www.UltimateAutoPortal.co
Established Member
I am building an 04 with a 91MM Turbo. Kept the IRS. Put level 5 everything on it..... :rockon:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
depends how the car is driven imo. seen/read plenty of level 5's breaking with hard driving. you guys just have to stop babying your cars....lol

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i personally think that it all comes down to what you will be doing with your car. if my car was for the strip only, i'd have an SRA in it no questions asked. but if my car was street driven and maybe saw the track a couple times a year, i'd keep the IRS. i don't think you're crazy :thumbsup:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
So what are you saying?:shrug:

Im saying most people dont drive their cars that hard. if your not interested in weight reduction and going faster / getting quick ET's the solid is not for you. I did it at first because I beat the shit out of my car and the solid was the first mod I did to my car. A street driven Cobra should just keep the IRS. everyone was on the kick for a while and its not the first post where someone went back.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
You aren't crazy at all. These cars do have steering wheels for a reason, but a good portion of Cobra owners choose not to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread