Aluminum Exhaust Build

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Thought you guys might enjoy this, put together a 3in aluminum exhaust with some HARM Mufflers.

Let’s start by appreciating the quality, professionalism, and quick turnaround by Herfurth. Had my custom built mufflers shipped in less than a week. Also, a huge shoutout to my homie Chris for doing all the tig work.

Setup:
Bassani mid-lengths
2.5 to 3in step up
X-pipe
Harm 5in diameter race bullets
Dumps

Onto the fun:
IMG_9243.jpeg
IMG_9246.jpeg
IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9994.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0813.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a good sounding aluminum exhaust. I like the sound a lot. And workmanship wise, that is one piece of high end "art". Very nice welding working! Just a work of beauty. To the ear and to the eye.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
That is a good sounding aluminum exhaust. I like the sound a lot. And workmanship wise, that is one piece of high end "art". Very nice welding working! Just a work of beauty. To the ear and to the eye.
Thanks Bob, always appreciate your comments. I’m very happy with it, I was worried that it would sound like a straight piped pickup, but it’s actually very crisp and unique.

DCguy

Established Member
Would like to run tails pipes. Probably v-band where the mufflers are at. It’s going to be tight running 3in with the anti-roll bar.
It should work if you do a v-band right after the muffler and then another one on the other side of the axle. You need 2 per side in order to rotate the piping out that goes over the axle. 3in will be tough but doable. I want to run tips as well but with a Panhard bar makes it almost impossible. You'd need a custom catback for sure in order to gain every mm of clearance you can. Off the shelf stuff ain't gonna cut it without a decent amount of fabrication so you might as well take it to an exhaust shop you trust and have them do it right.

Herfurth quality is second to none. I have been following his stuff for a while and everytime I see his posts i start to salivate a little bit. His welds are SO clean and the fact that he includes vbands with everything is just a cherry on top.

Aluminum exhaust sounds so so different as well. Much louder for sure, but has kind of a feral sound to it. As much as I would love to go that route, I feel like for most street cars, especially that are lowered a good bit, you'd do a lot of damage to aluminum exhaust even mildly scraping it. Therefore I think i'm going to stick to 304 stainless for now.

He actually just last week posted a midpipe he's testing that highly resembles the Mac Prochamber. I bet that thing sounds absolutely wicked. There's no doubt he'd have a line of 03/04 owners wanting one.

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I'd like to do this on my car. Would probably drop 40-50lbs.
I need to pull my stainless off the shelf and get the actual difference. But I’d imagine you’re right. Especially since I came from 2 chambers.

New system weight:
IMG_7571.jpeg

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
It should work if you do a v-band right after the muffler and then another one on the other side of the axle. You need 2 per side in order to rotate the piping out that goes over the axle. 3in will be tough but doable. I want to run tips as well but with a Panhard bar makes it almost impossible. You'd need a custom catback for sure in order to gain every mm of clearance you can. Off the shelf stuff ain't gonna cut it without a decent amount of fabrication so you might as well take it to an exhaust shop yo trust and have them do it right.

Herfurth quality is second to none. I have been following his stuff for a while and everytime I see his posts i start to salivate a little bit. His welds are SO clean and the fact that he includes vbands with everything is just a cherry on top.

Aluminum exhaust sounds so so different as well. Much louder for sure, but has kind of a feral sound to it. As much as I would love to go that route, I feel like for most street cars, especially that are lowered a good bit, you'd do a lot of damage to aluminum exhaust even mildly scraping it. Therefore I think i'm going to stick to 304 stainless for now.

He actually just last week posted a midpipe he's testing that highly resembles the Mac Prochamber. I bet that thing sounds absolutely wicked. There's no double he'd have a line of 03/04 owners wanting one.

View attachment 1805466

View attachment 1805467
Yeah, I do believe it can be done. Just more time, work, money. I’ll get there eventually. Have some fueling issues I’m going to render first.

I did see the “pro-chamber” it looks badass and should sound sick too. I see he came out with a “touring” muffler as well, different relief cuts for a quieter sound. The guy is doing well with the business, seems to be gaining steam. Hope it continues to grow.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
This idea didn’t pan out to well. I had a vinyl cut to cover the exhaust holes. As I figured it would grab onto the angled cutouts and expose them.

Built some sheet aluminum cutouts for the back side, but can’t get it quite right. If you got ideas I’m all ears.

IMG_1408.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg
IMG_1414.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hmmmm...I swear I saw pics of them. They were probably for a side exit exhaust of some sort though. It's been a few years.

And I'm old.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
2000r just had a v6 rear bumper. 3d scanned and printed insert is about the only non permanent way I can think of plugging that. Even then the seam is still likely to show up with a vinyl overlay.
Agreed. I think it’ll be difficult to get near perfect.

Dumb thought. Would a vinyl over this vinyl lay flatter?

Users who are viewing this thread