Alternator dead..... again.

TrickStang37

Established Member
Well, this one only lasted ~6,000 miles. The stock one went ~50,000 miles. This one was from a reputable shop that specializes in alternator rebuilds, they've done a couple other's of mine before with great success. Good thing it has a 1 year warranty, I had bought it last year (august).

Any new info as to why these f***en things are known to always go out? :cuss:

spincobra03

Established Member
It did not say you had an alternator pulley in your SIG, that could be your problem, but I was always under the impression you dont need one with an upper only a lower, but considering its so cheap, it would be worth a shot to me

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I put a 3.2 Metco pulley on my Motorcraft replacement. My rev limiter has been raised and it does occasionally see some close to 7K revs, if I am trying to catch someone. Though normally while open tracking I now shift much earlier to keep the heat down.

I believe the factory pulley ratio spins them a little too high. No tech to back that up though.:read:

I can still idle in Houston traffic with the A/C, wipers and headlights on without any issues.

At this point only time will tell. :shrug:

svt4u2nvy

Established Member
Any new info as to why these f***en things are known to always go out? :cuss:[/QUOTE]

dude i feel ya. i had mine go out last week and i believe it or not my 3rd party warrenty covered the cost. The dealer quoted like 600 something for the swap. sheesh\ thank god they paid for it

TrickStang37

Established Member
Because you got a reman alt:beer:

so because I got a remanufactured/rebuilt alternator that means a good amount of other people's alternators, even OEM units, have gone out with relatively low miles then? :idea:

I dont understand that logic :shrug:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
so because I got a remanufactured/rebuilt alternator that means a good amount of other people's alternators, even OEM units, have gone out with relatively low miles then? :idea:

I dont understand that logic :shrug:

Your rebuilt alt is still OEM, but yes the problem most likely has something to do with the rebuild I would assume since it went out so quickly. These alternators are prone to failure and I have yet to hear of any aftermarket company that makes one that is worth anything. I would probably take the advice anther member gave earlier and order the larger pulley, I have heard of people running them on the stock lower with no charging problems. I have a 4# lower so I can't comment on that, but I would think about replacing your rebuilt with a new OEM alt, I purchased my 3.2 alt puley through Metco but i'm sure there are less expensive ones available.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would never buy a non-OEM alternator, nor would I buy a rebuilt OEM alternator. I would only go for a brand new Motorcraft alternator. Just do a search and you'll see that a lot of people have had early failures with anything but brand new OEMs. A rebuilt OEM is only as good as the shop that did the rebuild. I just don't believe in them.

Users who are viewing this thread