alt BS

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
So I went to take some pictures this Sat at a super nice local parking garage. I left the car running the whole time because I kept moving it for pictures and the alt took a dump on me...

After doing a little bit or research i found that its a known problem... There is a local place that will rebuild the stock one and make it a 160AMP for $190... A reman one is $210 from Advance Auto and I heard from a friend he went through 3 of them last summer...

Any recomendations??? Im thinking getting it rebuilt and adding some Amps to it is probly a better idea!! I am taking the 4+ hour trip to Mustang Magic in May and I want to make sure the car is 110% by then....

Thanks for the help,

Rob

antiv6

Established Member
a new stock one is the best but all seem to be on borrowed time, auto-zone type ones are garbage

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
.. There is a local place that will rebuild the stock one and make it a 160AMP for $190... A reman one is $210 from Advance Auto and I heard from a friend he went through 3 of them last summer...

Any recomendations??? Im thinking getting it rebuilt and adding some Amps to it is probly a better idea!! I am taking the 4+ hour trip to Mustang Magic in May and I want to make sure the car is 110% by then....

Thanks for the help,

Rob
yea our cars eat ALT`S for some reason :cuss:
do you have a upper or lower pulley ?? alot of time thats the main problem that & heat

BTW WHATS MUSTANG MAGIC ???

a new stock one is the best but all seem to be on borrowed time, auto-zone type ones are garbage
yes they are :D

i got a PA automotive & i still keep a good eye on it too

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up guys! I think im goign to go with the stock rebuild + 40amps and see what happens!

Mastang Magic is a shop in LI that works on 3000+ Mustangs per year. They really know there shit too!!!

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on the stocker and the autopart store alt's are crap. My alt died last year at 48K miles.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Yea I had just hit 40 when mine went out, you might wanna do some reasearch on the charge and starts, or something like that. Its a guy real big on modfords that builds his own, theyve ended up being the best you can get.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Save your money. I wouldn't recommend any rebuild. Just do a search. Their track record is dismal. The best alternator available for the Terminator is the Start 'N Charge. The Ford alternator would be #2. Those would be my only two choices.

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
thanks for the advice guys!! I will be PISSED if it takes a dump on me 4+ hours away from home..... I guess im glad its going to be done and overwith and im going to keep my fingers crossed it dosent happen again!

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I heard nothing but good things about Start 'N Charge...

Indeed. I trolled all the threads on SVTP and ModFords having to do with the Start n' Charge for over a year and didn't find a single dissatisfied customer. I bought a 105/110 amp unit about 3 weeks ago because of it and I'm very satisfied.

1 year warranty, upgraded American made internals, comes with a slightly larger pulley (69mm vs. 64mm) to help reduce the overdriven nature of the OEM unit at high RPM's, and Jamie's customer service is great! What more could you want?

My second choice would be a Ford rebuild.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread