Almost running after 3.5 years, my new BOSS 5.0

DevilSun

Established Member
NOW running after 3.5 years, my new BOSS 5.0

I only had this Roush Cobra (the first of 11 total) for only about six or seven months, didn't drive it all that much in those few months but was so in awe over it I never bothered to investigate much into it and just drove it. Had Griggs in-floor SFCs put in along with coil-overs at the corners the weekend before "the" track event. This was about three and a half years ago when I took it to a 2 day weekend open track event at Thunderhill. After running great minus some suspension issues the first day, on the morning of the second day (Sunday) during the second session ... little hesitation, *me-wtf, looks around nothing lit up?* KA-BOOOOoooooooM! *car billowing smoke and shutting off* This was the end result:
from while doing
:nonono: No research, no gauges and pullied made that less fun that I planned. Damn, this has to be rebuilt, and better than before. Queue time travel...

... ~1300 days later, I'm only a few short weekends away from firing it back up.
banana.gif

Announcing, my new BOSS 5.0L built by John at Modular Performance. All out, brand new except the heads - new Kellogg Racing crankshaft, Oliver I-beam rods with ARP2000 bolts, custom -17cc Diamond pistons w/ upgraded H13 wrist pins, Federal Mogul HP bearings, Total Seal SS file to fit rings, Melling HV oil pump w/ billet gears, EMS Stewart Warner upgraded water pump, ARP main and head studs and so forth. Heads got rebuilt after bowl and port work, valve job, oversized SS valves and Manley Nextec springs topped off with some custom camshafts degreed properly. Also picked up a new Innovators West harmonic balancer.

Of course, can't do all that without some cooling upgrades. LFP radiator, Gords HE, external oil filter and cooler setup, head cooling mod, and some boxing for useful measure when it's all done.

Since the engine was out and all that, I also went ahead and did some Kook's 1 3/4" long tubes with 3" tapered at mufflers. Well, because that was being done, I went ahead and did the full MM k-member up front , MM2 coilovers, and a new MM steering shaft.

Three and a half years of seeing this blue beast in my garage and not being able to drive it...oh how close it is. Can't wait to enjoy it, sorry for my enthusiasm :beer:
WP_000234.jpg

---------------
5/28/11 -- Update: 546.9 HP @ 5900 RPM and 564.6 TQ @ 4425 RPM with a non-functioning intercooler system
[youtube_browser]D6HdDLbUUCY[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Dedication and determination....you have lots of both. :thumbsup:

Post up some vids when it's complete. :burnout:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ooooowwww, ahhhhhhhh :bowdown:

Good choice for engine ingredients..

Friggen Road Racer to boot :rockon:

Funny how few (if any) GT500's are built to round corners :shrug: There must be a reason for that :??:

DevilSun

Established Member
Been a long, long time coming in many ways. My props to John, he is an amazing man and a truly rare individual. I don't think I'll ever have the engine out again, shouldn't be a need ... for anything :) I truly can't wait to hear it, let alone drive it again...

DSC00054.jpg

P.S. - I'm having a hard time sleeping at night because of it...lol

346CamaroSS

Established Member
AWESOME! gotta be getting anxious!!!!!!!

btw I liked the "1300 day's later comment". haha

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Man u are building a mean machine. I feel u on the build up of anticipation, I'm a year and a half into my project. I'm going take off the k member today to get ready to put everything back in. Can't wait to see the outcome of both our cars. Good luck on yours.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Wow that is going to be nice.

Since you don't want to pull it anytime soon, you might want to consider some nice Powder Coated cam covers either in Blue or Black. I think black would look killer in your blue eng compartment.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
1300 days is a long time !

you are almost there ! man that's Overboard !! But = great! & lots of $$..and fun !

is there anyone here with a running boss50 block ?

my stuff is ready for pick up at the M/Shop ..if i wait that long i will forget where things go. LOL.

good subbin.

how you do your pics like that ?

my photo uploaded i was using changed formats now, so i cant upload any more.
and my photo bucket takes to dam long to upload !

TVSCobra

Established Member
nice.
Glad she is coming back to life.

Ever figure out what happened to cause the damage in the first engine?

DevilSun

Established Member
Got a lot done lately, getting closer. Sticking with the Eaton for now, never quite planned to go Twin Screw right off the bat considering everything else I did. Suspect it went lean, not quite sure. Anyways, here it is from just a little bit ago

WP_000278.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's not going to go lean or get hot this time is it?

I hope not, looks like a serious build. Should be a lot of fun.

Any fuel delivery mods yet?

Looks great so far, I would say you are doing it right.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I can’t see anything in this car that I wouldn’t do which is scary except no T2-R or a Steeda billet aluminum front sway bar bracket on your list unless you forgot to include them on your post.

I like the fact you kept it stock looking right down the "37" sticker while nothing reveals what lurking inside other then that balancer. Resist "bling' in this car at all cost which looks like you have done. The whole car looks “Factory”.

That engine is about as tough as they come and is now oversquare just a tad. Do you know what the seat and lift pressure is on the valve springs? If you got around 100 lbs seat pressure this engine should twist easy to 8K with that bottom end (the crank saddles on the iron Boss block are pretty brutal). Got anyway to prime the oil system and flood the galleries? Not totally necessary but it’s a nice thing to do. I use a small electric 12V pump with a fitting threaded for an oil gallery plug. This mill is begging for a 2.9 but the Eaton should be good for "break-in".

Way cool car and looks professionally done. You even have a spoiler that actually "works". This car is made for the Autobahn AMG beware! ........I bet it would even hold-up longer.

Keep going man! :rockon:

DevilSun

Established Member
Thanks guys :) Blower is already ported, unsure by who or how far; didn't want to take it apart and look (car has less than 15k on it) as I will go to twin screw next year or so. Planning on same pulley as before, 2.80 upper stock lower...hopefully everything I'm doing and will do to it will fight off heat soak long enough.

I've got lots of accompanying mods that I didn't list, or are in the wings waiting. Not planning on it going lean or heating up too much, but I will be watching for sure this time. I've got a SCT BA3000 and JLT CAI for air intake and metering which will go on right away. I've got a Fore hat with dual GT pumps which will either go on now, or with the power upgrade.

Steeda billet sway-bar mounts are in (shown in one of the last thumbnailed pics), because I saw them on here (probably on yours) a few days before my stuff got installed so I rushed some here lol. T2R will be part of the rear-end mods which will come later this year, or next. I already have (but not installed) FTBR full kit and Fore IRS brace. Thanks, that was my goal was to keep the block, especially the heads and cam covers looking very OEM with minor changes like coil covers, and intake being different. Springs are Manley Nextek, so it (and everything else) should handle up to around 8K no problem. As far as priming, no...but I would love to hear more about your setup because the last thing I want to skimp on or do poorly is first start and obviously at this point the Accusump can't help. Should I PM you about this or what? 2.9 would be ridiculous on this thing, would almost have to de-pulley it lol...but that is the goal, either a 2.3 or 2.9.

Thanks Jefe! That's a great pic of this car. Arthur (original owner) definitely took better pics than I have so far.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Amazing build, have me drooling. I hope everything goes perfect for you on first start. Enjoy every second you are driving it. You deserve it with your patience and resilience not to scrap or sell the but to build it into something of art.

haskett

Established Member
I just got mine running a couple of weeks ago after being down for only a year. I did a stock rebuild, but still have a huge grin on my face two weeks later. I forgot how much fun these cars are to drive!

If you haven't, get your injectors checked. My melted piston had a slightly lean injector which when combined with overheating, did a lot of damage.

I also installed a remote oil filter and cooler. Did you use -10 lines? How big is your cooler? Mine is pretty big and I haven't see oil temps leaving the engine over 190 yet, although the hard track driving has yet to come. I'll throw my fan onto the cooler if my oil temps get over 220 on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread