Almost died today!

rdvenom99

Established Member
I was coming home tonight from a friends house. We changed my brakes, actually put the old stock ones back on because the new Hawk HPS Plus pads I bought are so noisy I couldn't stand them any longer. He lives about 40 mins away so It's quite a hike. Anyway I get off the expressway about 2 miles from my house and going down the offramp my rear ends shoots left about 3 feet and then straightens back up a second later. About 10 seconds later I start hearing a clicking sound coming from the left rear tire. I slow down and drive about 15mph the rest of the way home with the noise getting progressively worse the closer I get. When I get home I check out the left rear tire and 2 lugs were missing, a bolt was ripped off the rotor, and the 3 remaining lugs were so loose I could take them off with my fingers. The funny thing is we didn't even touch the rear tires since I only installed the hawk pads in the front. If this had happened at 75+mph on the expressway I would be toast. Anyway though I would share, and don't forget to check your lugs every once in a while to make sure there tight. I'm lucky to be alive tonight! Peace!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Same thing happened to me and my brother in his truck but we did loose the wheel at about 45mph. The DS front one. Glad you're ok.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
glad you made it. pull over the very next chance you get when something like that happens..dont wait till you get home. It could be costly...both on your life and limb as well as your wallet.

stevieb

Established Member
Glad to see you made it ok. But you need to thoroughly check out why the lugs came off, there is a reason they came off, something is wrong because lug nuts just dont back off for no reason.
Usually it is a result of someone working in that area, has anybody recently had your wheel or hub off? Back track and see if you or any shop was working there. That way you'll have piece of mind when you drive knowing nothing will come apart. Good luck, but do look into the matter.

4camV8

Established Member
Glad to haer you're okay... and not to trivialize this event, but what pads did you change to? I also recently installed HP plus pads and Damn! ...they are loud. Squeak and squeal like a stuck pig... i just bought some disc brake quiet... i have always had noisy brakes, and somebody said you need to lube more than just the pad back, so i was gonna try that out... did you do anything like that? I am just trying to figure out if it's gonna make it better, or if they're still gonna be super noisy, if so, i'll order some standard Hawk HP's....

rdvenom99

Established Member
Poisonous Mods, actually I did pull over and look for a min but it was so dark the wheel looked ok . I couldn't see inside the holes where the lugs go. I should've felt around in there with my fingers but I nerver even imagined what happened could happen. I really thought I ran something over and it was stuck under my car or something.

stevieb, the last time that wheel was off was almost two years ago when I changed the rim. I don't think I've checked it since then so who knows maybe it wasn't tightened good. It is kind of suspect though. I'm taking it into ford today and they will inspect everything for me.

4camV8, I just put the used OEM pads I took off back on. I don't think any amount of lube or whatever could help these noisy pads but good luck.

zzzzzer

Livin' Life Roush-less :(
Established Member
Man, I'm glad you're okay. The same thing happened to another SVTP member in Florida a few months back.

thehyena

Resident DSMer
Established Member
that's something to tell the grandkids later on down the road.... glad you're alright bro

rdvenom99

Established Member
Well I think I figured out what happened. When I was changing out the front pads a couple weeks ago, I was planning on changing the backs as well so I loosened up the back lugs. I took off the passanger side rear and then realized I didn't have the proper tool for compressing the rear piston and put it back on. I can only guess that I didn't go back to the driver side rear and tighten up the lugs again. A very stupid mistake that could've cost me my life.

Users who are viewing this thread