All-In-One Computers

Jefe

Established Member
Parents need a new PC for the house. All they really do is edit photos, email and surf the web. They do want a new screen and a printer so rather than piecing something together, I've been looking at these AIO computers. Really helps save space and eliminates a lot of wires but Im wondering if I should be avoiding them? Fan goes out do I need to send the entire computer in or can I get access to it or the hard drive?

Budget is under $800 is possible.

For example: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-all-in-one---24-b230xt

c05152097.png

Windows 10, 2.4GHz Quad Core Intel i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 23.8" Touchscreen Display, Optical Drive, Memory Card Reader, WiFi, Bluetooth, 5 USBs, Webcam and Integrated Speakers for $780 shipped. Another $30 for their printer.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R45GW7998

Dell-Inspiron-i3455-10041BLK.jpg

Windows 10, 2.2GHz Quad Core A8, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 23.8" Touchscreen Display, HDMI Out, Optical Drive, Memory Card Reader, WiFi, 4 USBs, Webcam and Integrated Speakers for $640 shipped.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0E6-009A-001D2

s500z_transformer%20mode_win%2010%20ministart_02.png

Windows 10 Pro, 2.3GHz Quad Core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 23" Display, HDMI In/Out, Optical Drive, WiFi, 5 USBs, Webcam and Integrated Speakers for $805 shipped.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
if you have a sams club nearby, they have a couple AIO's that are pretty inexpensive.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
My parents have used HP AIOs for years. No issues, they're pretty cheap, they just replace when something quicker is available. I can't comment on servicing, as they haven't had to service any. It's a nice, clean package. I would absolutely buy one if I didn't have a work laptop.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Serious question here: Are they not interested in a laptop or a tablet?

Something like maybe a Surface or Surface Pro?

Those HP, Dell and Lenovos looks good. Like anything, get the extended warranty.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Thats what I figured. Heading to Best Buy to check some of these out in person.

Wish I could get Windows 7/8 instead of 10. Need to buy a license to downgrade?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thats what I figured. Heading to Best Buy to check some of these out in person.

Wish I could get Windows 7/8 instead of 10. Need to buy a license to downgrade?
There is no support for the older stuff, as much as I hate 10, it works well enough.

Out of those options above I might go with the Dell just due to the cost and the TB. It doesn't sound like they demand much from the computer, I would just want the bigger HDD for more photos.

DJAMiller

Established Member
I understand your not looking for the most powerful PC in the world but all three of those are pretty anemic. In order to compensate for the lack of proper cooling due to the small form factor he CPU's in AIO's (as well as laptops) are often slowed down to prevent overheating. To give you a frame of comparison an i5 7600k comes out of the box running at 4.2ghz compared to the HP you listed's 2.4ghz. You'd be better off buying a regular desktop. I definitely recommend going with at least a quad core i5. Most all programs these days are optimized to run on at least 4 cores so you'll see significant performance improvements over a dual core i3. With that said the new Kaby Lake series i3's have hyper threading and perform pretty admirably for what they are.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I don't care for AIOs, they really aren't that serviceable, so component failures can be catastrophic and you can't really upgrade them either. You can find some spare parts for a few of the components, but most AIOs are also a real PITA to take a part.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AIOs have lower voltage CPUs and GPUs to mitigate the heat issue due to AIOs not having enough room to accommodate an adequate cooling solution. But the average AIO user should find the lower voltage CPU (slower) the slower processors adequate enough. The biggest advantages of AIOs are the smaller footprint and cleaner design (ie. fewer cables to see).

Let us know which one you end up buying.

Users who are viewing this thread