Airaid CAI +2013 mustang= bad

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Get rid of the CAI, put the stock assembly back on and run a K&N panel filter unless you have some serious N/A mods (heads, cams, etc).

The K&N filter flows less than the stock filter. Plus its a filter that requires oil. Oil and MAF sensor don't get along well.

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
I have the new C&L. They redesigned the shroud to keep the water off the filter.

Engine.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
I have the new C&L. They redesigned the shroud to keep the water off the filter.

Engine.jpg

Doesnt look like very much shroud. Let us know how this thing holds up. Water will usually find a way.

T.Bone

Established Member
Does yours have the weather strip that is suppose to seal against the hood?

Mine came in last week and I haven't opened the box yet, was going to install it last weekend but didn't get around to it. Spent the time putting in the MGW instead.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Another reason I plan on getting the K&N FIPK CAI. It's a close box design.

I know that AirRaid posted a thread awhile back requesting a Pheonix area 2013 to come by to do some R&D on the '13 with their intake. Maybe they realized this and are trying to fix it? :shrug:

yes they most certainly are!

I was the one who took my car in and this was their result:

223851_10151372693848012_1758590646_n.jpg

the issue for the 2013's is being handled guys!

edit: rained the past 2 days and no problems! I would suggest getting in contact with airaid if your having any problems on the 2013's, I'm sure they'll take care of you

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
yes they most certainly are!

I was the one who took my car in and this was their result:

223851_10151372693848012_1758590646_n.jpg

the issue for the 2013's is being handled guys!

edit: rained the past 2 days and no problems! I would suggest getting in contact with airaid if your having any problems on the 2013's, I'm sure they'll take care of you

How much clearance is there between the filter and that shroud?

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
Mustang 2013 Cold Air Water Intrusion Tests - YouTube

We have done numerous test on our CAI for water intrusion this is a copy of the video. Pleas let me know if I can help you guys with one of our kits.

Not a very precise test. It rained yesterday for 4 hours off and on and as soon as I drove the car out of the parking lot, it shut the car off. Given, I didn't open the hood to see how much water got in from the vents, i was thinking like your company about the vents, but there was enough water to make my filter foamy with water when I squeezed it. I don't think your test was a fair assessment of the vents not allowing water in. I know for sure that water gets in through the cold air ram in the grille and the 13 vents.

Last edited by a moderator:

RSKtakR

Established Member
If you put the K&N drop in filter in with no tune you will LOOSE power... just run the stock filter/CAI until you find one for the 2013.

Jetag93

Established Member
It is the hood blanket that funnels all the water from all the vent holes directly onto the intake box/filter. I removed my blanket and resolved the problem. And the air intake temps are a lot better without the blanket partially blocking off the vents. I'll probably cut/alter the blanket to allow more air flow and reinstall.

Btw, I did a test a while ago for water entry. I placed a shallow bowl on the air box and washed the car normally with a low pressure sprayer. Initial rinse, soap and rerinse. I collected 1 full cup of water in the bowl!

Last edited:

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
It is the hood blanket that funnels all the water from all the vent holes directly onto the intake box/filter. I removed my blanket and resolved the problem. And the air intake temps are a lot better without the blanket partially blocking off the vents. I'll probably cut/alter the blanket to allow more air flow and reinstall.

Btw, I did a test a while ago for water entry. I placed a shallow bowl on the air box and washed the car normally with a low pressure sprayer. Initial rinse, soap and rerinse. I collected 1 full cup of water in the bowl!

I cut my blanket around the vents last week and it really releases the heat now. The driver side was not cut on the first two vents to help prevent any water from getting on my steeda CAI which has not been a problem

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I cut my blanket around the vents last week and it really releases the heat now. The driver side was not cut on the first two vents to help prevent any water from getting on my steeda CAI which has not been a problem

Don, can you send me some pics on Facebook?

Users who are viewing this thread