Airaid CAI +2013 mustang= bad

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
I have had the worst time with this intake and water/rain. I was getting the hesitation and the car shutting off on throttle in and found that the rain was getting to the filter. At first I thought it was the cold air scoop by the grille for the longest time. To fix the issue Airaid sent me a prefilter and that seemed to work until today. My car sat at work and it poured rain harder than any of the tropical storms this year today. I got in the car to get home, it's sunny out btw, and turn the first corner and gave it gas on a major highway and the car stalled and shut off in the middle of traffic. I fired it right up and floored it to keep it running and pulled off the next road. The car is going crazy with the yellow wrench light on. Opened the hood and pulled the filter snd saw a nice 50mL of water in the intake tube and the filter was a sponge. It seems that the vents in the hood are letting water just drain into the filter like someone is standing over the filter and dumping water into it.:(

Needless to say the intake will be for sale.
Here is a picture:
C9EEE1FE-ED96-43CE-9CDC-30F161C4B56D-2527-000002D8BCC771E1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
I run this intake with my 2012 and dont have this issue. Im thinking the hood vents, but an open filer design is going to the net the same results moving forward.

When you restarted it and decided to floor it to keep running probably wasn't the best idea. Sorry to hear and hope for the best.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
It is the hood vents. The vents are a river and the air filter is the ocean. It just dumps the water right onto the filter.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Another reason I plan on getting the K&N FIPK CAI. It's a close box design.

I know that AirRaid posted a thread awhile back requesting a Pheonix area 2013 to come by to do some R&D on the '13 with their intake. Maybe they realized this and are trying to fix it? :shrug:

mhyjek

Established Member
I have it on my 13 and we had a tropical storm pass on Saturday and we had a about 2 inches of water within 2 hours. My car was sitting outside which it never does but this was car party mostly for classics but my friend said it was ok for a new one especially since he loves my car and so did most of the guys there. But to get back to my point I had zero issue with water getting in the intake. Only reason I know is after the storm passed I opened up my hood to show the motor to a couple people who asked and it was dry by the intake. So what I would look at is the weather strip if it is sealing with the hood? Because I have driven through 2 bad storms and had zero issues with water getting in. However I have to be careful at the brushless car wash with the underbody wash which gets my entire engine bay damp but not enough for the intake to soak up.

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Get rid of the CAI, put the stock assembly back on and run a K&N panel filter unless you have some serious N/A mods (heads, cams, etc).

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
The steeda is an open element too, just like the Airaid...right?

yes, but theres a vid on youtube they made where they show thier intake is not affected by the water leaking. I wish i had it..... :( im going with steeda CAI for this reason

whatwhine

Established Member
They suck. All cai. Lots of na cars have done crazy impressive stuff with the ford cai. Also k&n seems to lose power on a mostly stock 5.0 plus some guys over oil them.... Electronics don't like oil.

This is knowledge based on you guys on the forums, and talking with several tuners my self

Just my opinion.

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
if your hell bent on keeping the airraid then get some silicone from home depot (maybe black or clear depending on color of your vents) and seal up the holes on the under hood side for the first couple of vents or all if you want to keep the water out. Problem then becomes water puddling in the vents that will end up on the windshield when you get moving.

I have the steeda and have had no issues, I even cut the hood blanket to let mine flow a lot more air, but left the blanket over the first two ribs of the vent so its covered to where the CAI shroud meets that vent and they really expel hot air.

I heard you can put an ATV type sock over the CAI to keep it dry also ( not sure if that's what you meant by pre-filter)

Dave_6

Established Member
I wasn't planning on getting a CAI but I definitely won't after seeing this. If I do anything intake wise, it will probably be an AFE drop-in filter.

Users who are viewing this thread