aftermarket heads

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
OK I'm going to build a motor in March, to make it bulletproof and allow more boost, who makes aftermarket DOHC Cobra heads that are worth a crap? I want a 550 RWHP motor but it'll to drive like aunt Susans Buick when under normal driving conditions

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
I don't want the stock heads, thats why I'm looking for the best aftermarkets.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Originally posted by BigMerc
I don't want the stock heads, thats why I'm looking for the best aftermarkets.

If you have a supercharged checkbook then the FR500 heads are probably the top in heads. I'm looking at them after I have done everything possable to the stock ones when the TT setup gets on mine.:beer: :beer:

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
Well I'm in for a good set, are these out of the crate and ready to go? or do i need some work done on them, what are we talkin 2 grand? As for the money I have so much in the car now I can never sell it so i might as well go all out, I'm budgeting 10-12K for the motor and install. What can you tell me about the FR500 heads, are they streetable? I want that elusive setting of everyday driver/AC/quiet ride and then 550 HP on tap rear wheels to go when i want it.

BigMerc

No one's buddy
Established Member
thanks

Thats a good thread, thankyou for that information. I would think that there would be more than that available for this engine, but since not I've saved some money that way. Thanks again

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When I get my shop established and on it's feet I'm going to look into developing modular heads. High on the list will be a dohc for the v10.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Navigator heads will bolt up. I know the bore spacing and bolt pattern is the same...intake ports are MUCH! bigger though to the point that I doubt any 4.6 dohc intakes would work...exhaust port however is inferior to 03 cobra, which i believe is the same as 03 aviator,03 mach1,and 03 maurader...seriously the heads you have are BADASS!!
Seems to me horsepower to be had in GOOBS would be forged 8.3 to 1 pistons on forged rods w/cobra crank....plus some forced induction equals immediate overwhelming low end and midrange torque......time for new rear tires!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Why not look into what it would take to put a 32v navi motor w/blower and forged pistons and rods in there.....It would just be an iron block(budget) version of the new Ford GT engine....talk about torque, that big ole Merc would run high 10s if you could keep a trans together long enough...
Fun to dream isn't it?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
I think you would be ok to port and polish what you have, that will make the flow much nicer and set yourself up well for a supercharger, IMHO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread