Aftermarket Gauges for my Cobra???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Well guys...

I'll be installing some gauges in the near future and need some input...

I've always bought Autometer and had good luck with them. I was told that the "Lunar" style is a good match for the stock SVT gauges but it doesn't seem like anybody has them anymore???

I've used the "Phantom" style before and they went well with the "white faced" overlays on my previous non-SVT Mustangs but the 03-04' has a different look/color!!!

I'm thinking about a wide band A/F, fuel pressure, boost, oil temp and possibly a multi-purpose gauge like the Aeroforce scan gauge.

Any opinions on if I should go mechanical/electric??? How about the senders and what not...what do I need??? I want to make sure I order everything that is needed!!!

Oh and one more thing, for the boost should I get just the PSI version or one with both boost and vacuum???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Just get a high boost overlay and use the stock gauge...

Then get the aeroforce gauge and a A/F gauge..

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Just get a high boost overlay and use the stock gauge...

Then get the aeroforce gauge and a A/F gauge..

The boost overlay looks trick but I don't want to mess with the stock gauge...is it a PITA cutting the pin and calibrating the gauge to work with the overlay??? I used to hate swapping out overlays in my previous Mustangs...replacing the needles and making sure the gauge was accurate was always a pain!!!

I'm thinking about AEM #30-4100 for the A/F. Does the Aeroforce scan gauge show readings for fuel pressure and oil temp???

Later...Dave

wheelhopper

Established Member
Anything the computer reads the Aeroface gauge will show. Lethal is pushing a sale on them now.

Also, the Autometer Ultralites have the silver face, black #s, and green light similiar to the Terminator gauges.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As you found out, Autometer doesn't make the Lunar gauges any longer. Too bad. I always liked them. I would go over to the Lethal website and look at the gauges Jared has. Gauge style is about as personal as picking your catback. Everyone has different tastes. I like the Autometer Ultralite, and the Aeroface Interceptor is very handy.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I went with Speedhut gauges and a Speed of Sound pillar pod. :rockon:

Vacuum/Boost and Wideband A/F gauge.

189633.jpg

189634.jpg

189636.jpg

Give Alan at Speed of Sound a call and he will take care of you. :thumbsup:

ditchsnake

Established Member
No problem with overlay

Hilton's boost overlay works great. No problem with the install and calibration.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
O4 Sleeper. How hard were the gauges and pillar to install. do they make the pillar for the convertible? ball park on 2 gauges and pillar?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
O4 Sleeper. How hard were the gauges and pillar to install. do they make the pillar for the convertible? ball park on 2 gauges and pillar?
They were very easy to install. The pillar is actually a Ford pillar so it just pulls off and pops right back on with no screws or anything.

Yes, they do make a pillar for the convertible.

Go here and check it out. http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/ Or contact Alanw6 on here. He will take care of you. :thumbsup:

I'd say depending on gauge options you are looking at around $450 for the gauges and pod.

Call Alan and he will be able to help you more.

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey SCT2003. Just happened to be on the sight and saw your post. The Hilton boost overlay (either the original or the High boost) is quite easy to install and calibrate. It's a pretty straight forward process that most customers tell me can be done in less than an hour. It's dead nuts accurate if you follow the instructions for calibrating that come with the overlay. It also makes it nice not to have to go to the expense and hassle (extended boost line, electrical hook up etc. etc.) of a pillar pod. If you ARE going to a pillar pod unit it will free-up the spot for another gauge in the pod ie. fuel pressure air/fuel etc. If you want to check them out go to www.boostoverlay.com. These were originally developed with a lot of help and advise from members on this very board. I've been selling them for almost 5 years now all over the US and beyond. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks, Ray H.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Anything the computer reads the Aeroface gauge will show. Lethal is pushing a sale on them now.

Also, the Autometer Ultralites have the silver face, black #s, and green light similiar to the Terminator gauges.

Thanks...I'll check out the Ultralites for my A-pillar and I'm pretty sure I'll go with dual Aeroforce gauges on top of the dash in a dual pod!!!

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Hey SCT2003. Just happened to be on the sight and saw your post. The Hilton boost overlay (either the original or the High boost) is quite easy to install and calibrate. It's a pretty straight forward process that most customers tell me can be done in less than an hour. It's dead nuts accurate if you follow the instructions for calibrating that come with the overlay. It also makes it nice not to have to go to the expense and hassle (extended boost line, electrical hook up etc. etc.) of a pillar pod. If you ARE going to a pillar pod unit it will free-up the spot for another gauge in the pod ie. fuel pressure air/fuel etc. If you want to check them out go to www.boostoverlay.com. These were originally developed with a lot of help and advise from members on this very board. I've been selling them for almost 5 years now all over the US and beyond. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks, Ray H.

Thanks for the info Ray...

I haven't ruled your product out but I'm still researching...I'll surely look you up if I decide to go the overlay route!!!

Thanks again...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
As you found out, Autometer doesn't make the Lunar gauges any longer. Too bad. I always liked them. I would go over to the Lethal website and look at the gauges Jared has. Gauge style is about as personal as picking your catback. Everyone has different tastes. I like the Autometer Ultralite, and the Aeroface Interceptor is very handy.

Thanks for your input...Jared is a great guy and recently took care of me in regards to some cooling needs!!!

I'm pretty sure I 'll go with a dual Aeroforce Interceptor set up from him!!!

Later...Dave

I went with Speedhut gauges and a Speed of Sound pillar pod. :rockon:

Vacuum/Boost and Wideband A/F gauge.

189633.jpg

189634.jpg

189636.jpg

Give Alan at Speed of Sound a call and he will take care of you. :thumbsup:

Those gauges look great! :rockon: Now you got me thinking about spending $$$

MustangThief

Established Member
Hilton's boost overlay works great. No problem with the install and calibration.

Same.

I used the overlay that reads to 16 or 17# i can't remember, but it looks great.

Cutting the pin was EASY, you just file off a small tab on the backside of the pin and that's it...

I actually didn't calibrate it... I skipped that step... i stuck the pin back on, ran a test, and the boost was smack accurate so i left it alone...

Users who are viewing this thread