After Kenne Bell 2.1 install car starts then dies

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
97 cobra. Just finished up installing 2.1 supercharger, KB chip, and boost a pump. Car cranks over fires right up, revs to about 2000rpm then instantly dies. No idle. Fuel pump is priming, on for 3 seconds then off. Checked all connections multiple times. Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

jeason15

Established Member
Check all the obvious; IAC, maf, vacuum leaks, etc. 9/10 times a start, no idle is one of those.

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
Was just hoping it would start up and run fine without any problems. But oh well it im sure i will like it in the end. Sending the computer and chip to KB, guess some computers dont always accept the chip.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Is your theft light blinking when this happens?

The lack of an FMU would not cause this, but it does cause me concerns for your motor when you do get it running. Are your injectors the stock 24# units?

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
Theft light only blinks when you have the door open, one you shut door or turn key on it goes off. This is the way its always been since i got the car. Yes stock injectors.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am not sure what is causing your no start condition.

But, the stock KB kit uses the FMU to turn off the fuel pressure regulator return line when you go WOT. That causes the fuel pressure to shoot up to the max that the stock fuel pump/BAP can deliver. With the fuel pressure well above 39 PSI above the manifold pressure, it will cause the injectors to deliver much more than 24 # of fuel per hour. I don't like the setup because the fuel flow is not really controlled, but it minimizes the chances of going lean at WOT.

Also, the KB tune for the kit assumes the system is delivering all that fuel at WOT, so it sets the injector pulsewidth to based on that assumption. But if the fuel is only coming at a 24 #/Hr rate, you will definitely go lean at WOT and can blow your motor.

I also don't like the fact that the kit leaves the IAT sensor in the stock location in front of the blower. The PCM can't real the actual IATs so it doesn't know exactly how much to retard the spark timing as the blower heats up the intake air. I suspect the KB tune is very conservative with spark advance. So the rich condition and the retarded spark leaves a lot of potential power on the table and adds FI detonation risk to the system.

I strongly recommend that you leave out the FMU, upgrade to larger injectors (39s or 42s work fine), throw out the Hobbes switch for the BAP (just short the input to the BAP), relocate the IAT sensor to after the blower and then get a custom tune.

If you prefer to run the KB kit, you better install the FMU. Boost + detonation = blown engine.

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
Ok i thought you were refering to something else that kb talks about in the instructions for newer vehicles. YES i am using the KB supplied "fmu" and everything is installed.

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
any luck?

When I installed the chip the instructions point out two "jumpers" on the computer board that need to be present in order for the chip to work. I wasn't completely sold on mine since the one pictured in the instructions didn't look like mine. It states that if the car wont start, starts then dies, or theft light flashes that chip isn't working with the computer. this can be caused by not having the two correct jumpers or if the ecu has ever been re-flashed. So I sent the ecu and chip back to Kenne Bell for them to inspect it, hopefully they will find the problem.

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
KB said computer and chip are OK. Guy on phone said it sounded like a boost leak, and that i should email the tech department and ask them. Hmmm back to the drawing board.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Nope not a boost leak and if it was a vacuum leak it wouldn't do that do u have a vac gauge to see what it is at idle I'd say use another tuning source chip it either diablosport or sct

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
They are not helpful on the phone, and sometimes rude so this having to email them is really pissing me off since they rarely respond to them. I can get a vac gauge and check but it only runs for about 2 seconds. Also noticed the exhaust smells extremely rich for the small amount of time its running. Have to wait until my computer and chip returns to do anything.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
wjat happens when you start car and raise idle with throttle will it still shut down if u can verify fuel pressure and spark it's also sounding like maybe dash pot settings ?

ibleedblue1385

Established Member
If you keep working the throttle it will spit and sputter for a few seconds longer. I have tried raising the idle and nothing changes.

Users who are viewing this thread