After effect of Japan nuclear issue

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Mother of God, paynecasey, tell me you don't take these idiots seriously!

They're selling algae. Do you know what algae eats? Everything in the environment it can get. So if all the radiation is out there, you are scarfing it up in your algae pills right alongside the guy who ordered the cedar-plank Salmon, sitting next to you in the restaurant. So if you haven't dropped dead yet from radiation poisoning after consuming all that algae, guess what? You're going to be ok!

The entire universe is radioactive. It always has been, every second of your life, before you got here and after you are gone. Lead? Used for radiation shielding? Radioactive. One of the Uranium isotopes, I forget which one at the moment, is also frequently used as radiation shielding. Bananas are radioactive. Water, before Fukushima ever was built? Contains Tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. Yes, water is radioactive, and not by a little bit, because there are lots of other things in it besides just Tritium that are radioactive.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Isnt the name bypassing the filter?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member

They're selling algae. Do you know what algae eats? Everything in the environment it can get. So if all the radiation is out there, you are scarfing it up in your algae pills right alongside the guy who ordered the cedar-plank Salmon, sitting next to you in the restaurant. So if you haven't dropped dead yet from radiation poisoning after consuming all that algae, guess what? You're going to be ok!

The entire universe is radioactive. It always has been, every second of your life, before you got here and after you are gone. Lead? Used for radiation shielding? Radioactive. One of the Uranium isotopes, I forget which one at the moment, is also frequently used as radiation shielding. Bananas are radioactive. Water, before Fukushima ever was built? Contains Tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. Yes, water is radioactive, and not by a little bit, because there are lots of other things in it besides just Tritium that are radioactive.

Ouch. Burn!!!

Isnt the name bypassing the filter?

Lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

James, great counter facts. I would imagine a lot of people will react, or are reacting, in fear. I read a similar report a couple of weeks ago and I have to admit it got me thinking. But you quickly start thinking about the other sources of radiation that most of us are exposed to in our lifetimes. Like you said, we seem to be doing okay.

NinjaBum

Established Member
When these articles are using radiation maps from 2 years ago it's kind of a tipoff they might be full of shit.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I don't doubt that some of the radiation is definitely getting to us, especially on the west coast, but it's far from deadly at this point, or anything that can really hurt you.

I wouldn't go anywhere within a few hundred miles north, east, or south of that plant though. The media definitely is keeping a lid on the real effects of this incident, and it is much worse than one would believe. Hundreds of tons of highly radioactive water is being released into the ocean daily, which undoubtedly is effecting the oceanlife in the surrounding area. The Japanese still fish in the path of the radiation flow and eat and sell that food to other countries, so I would steer clear of seafood originating from Japan.

There also has been an unstoppable ploom of radiation being released into the jetstream since day one, and circling the globe. It's also getting worse every day since nothing has been done to contain it. Over the long run, this incident has the potential of making Chernobyl look like a fart. Cancer rates are going to rise all over the place.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I have probably gotten more radiation from x-rays at the dentist the past several years than I will with this......

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
paynecasey, sorry about how I reacted. I've been telling people to relax about Fukushima for so long I had a knee-jerk reaction. And, these guys are just selling algae, which put me right over the edge. I apologize for how I reacted.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Go Fukushima yourself.

You forgot to finish the line:

a6c5225930f16e8a0a759ad2e1e39ca619fe504a06c65c6efe7b615612274513.jpg

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member

Concur with Snover. Radiation is all about dose. Everyone has an annual threshold that is healthy, and it's quite high. Now, by ingestion, your dose threshold is much lower, so I wouldn't be eating pacific tuna or salmon every day myself.
Here's a relevant chart from the prominent webcomic XKCD that put a lot of work into making a visual aid for comparing how much radiation is typically received.

Last edited:

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
That chart is brilliant! I'm giving it to our medical physicists. Thanks for that link!

Concur with Snover. Radiation is all about dose. Everyone has an annual threshold that is healthy, and it's quite high. Now, by ingestion, your dose threshold is much lower, so I wouldn't be eating pacific tuna or salmon every day myself.
Here's a relevant chart from the prominent webcomic XKCD that put a lot of work into making a visual aid for comparing how much radiation is typically received.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member

Even though it doesn't equate to much it's amazing to see the radiation still at Chernobyl after 25 years.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Anyone ever watched the documentary Atomic States of America - its on Netflix. That put nuclear energy and radiation in a whole new light for me.

Posted via Topify on Android

Users who are viewing this thread