After effect of Japan nuclear issue

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
That chart is brilliant! I'm giving it to our medical physicists. Thanks for that link!

Glad to be of help. The NRC has a "neat" calculator to estimate how much radiation you receive annually.
Most people receive between 3 microSv (1 microSievert = 100 mrem/millirem) and 7mSv. You don't want to receive any more than 50 microSv in a year's timeframe.

To give you an idea of scale, ingesting enough to give you 1Sv carries around a 5% chance of directly causing cancer.

Now, eating pacific tuna (from this article) shows that although the radiation dose has increased, you are still only obtaining an effective dose to that of eating 5% of a banana. Therefore, if you're worried about getting cancer from fish because of zomgFukushima, stop eating bananas. I wouldn't recommend a diet entirely of tuna (mostly because you are more likely to get mercury poisoning anyways...), but don't be scared of the onslaught of negative and false advertising.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I don't doubt that some of the radiation is definitely getting to us, especially on the west coast, but it's far from deadly at this point, or anything that can really hurt you.

I wouldn't go anywhere within a few hundred miles north, east, or south of that plant though. The media definitely is keeping a lid on the real effects of this incident, and it is much worse than one would believe. Hundreds of tons of highly radioactive water is being released into the ocean daily, which undoubtedly is effecting the oceanlife in the surrounding area. The Japanese still fish in the path of the radiation flow and eat and sell that food to other countries, so I would steer clear of seafood originating from Japan.

There also has been an unstoppable ploom of radiation being released into the jetstream since day one, and circling the globe. It's also getting worse every day since nothing has been done to contain it. Over the long run, this incident has the potential of making Chernobyl look like a fart. Cancer rates are going to rise all over the place.

This quote is so full of crap, I can smell it over the interwebs.

Read this thread, where people actually know what they are talking about: fuk i shima again? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

All that crap you read online from fear mongering sites is complete BS, including your 'hundreds of tons of radioactive water being dumped into the ocean'...

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
all bullshittery.

I live on the west coast. Not scared of any radiation hitting me, will continue to eat the tuna here (no crust).

From what I recall reading, you would receive more radiation from a plane flight from LA to NY than what we are getting on the west coast.

KurtDog

Established Member
Wait until you hear amount the amount of dihydrogen monoxide in the water you drink.

Sick03Vert

Banned
paynecasey, sorry about how I reacted. I've been telling people to relax about Fukushima for so long I had a knee-jerk reaction. And, these guys are just selling algae, which put me right over the edge. I apologize for how I reacted.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a good, informative response. :beer:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
paynecasey, sorry about how I reacted. I've been telling people to relax about Fukushima for so long I had a knee-jerk reaction. And, these guys are just selling algae, which put me right over the edge. I apologize for how I reacted.

I felt a disturbance in the Force Obi Wan. It is good you have it under control now.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
This quote is so full of crap, I can smell it over the interwebs.

Read this thread, where people actually know what they are talking about: fuk i shima again? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

All that crap you read online from fear mongering sites is complete BS, including your 'hundreds of tons of radioactive water being dumped into the ocean'...

Lmfao, I love your arguments source. An internet forum. Everything I've posted can be backed up by research done by scientists and doctors, if only youd do a little research yourself and get off internet forums...

You're the type of lemming that would grow an asshole out his elbow and still trust the government in protecting you, and believe everything is going to always be just fine.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Glad to be of help. The NRC has a "neat" calculator to estimate how much radiation you receive annually.

Most people receive between 3 microSv (1 microSievert = 100 mrem/millirem) and 7mSv. You don't want to receive any more than 50 microSv in a year's timeframe.

To give you an idea of scale, ingesting enough to give you 1Sv carries around a 5% chance of directly causing cancer.

Now, eating pacific tuna (from this article) shows that although the radiation dose has increased, you are still only obtaining an effective dose to that of eating 5% of a banana. Therefore, if you're worried about getting cancer from fish because of zomgFukushima, stop eating bananas. I wouldn't recommend a diet entirely of tuna (mostly because you are more likely to get mercury poisoning anyways...), but don't be scared of the onslaught of negative and false advertising.

Excellent info and post!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Lmfao, I love your arguments source. An internet forum. Everything I've posted can be backed up by research done by scientists and doctors, if only youd do a little research yourself and get off internet forums...

You're the type of lemming that would grow an asshole out his elbow and still trust the government in protecting you, and believe everything is going to always be just fine.

The guy I linked to ran nuclear reactors for the US Navy and has first hand knowledge of how the detection sytems work. I'd say it's a decent source.

Instead, lets see what you posted:

I wouldn't go anywhere within a few hundred miles north, east, or south of that plant though. The media definitely is keeping a lid on the real effects of this incident, and it is much worse than one would believe. Hundreds of tons of highly radioactive water is being released into the ocean daily, which undoubtedly is effecting the oceanlife in the surrounding area. The Japanese still fish in the path of the radiation flow and eat and sell that food to other countries, so I would steer clear of seafood originating from Japan.

Provide a link to one person that died of radiation exposure as a result of the Fukushima disaster. Or even someone that got very ill. Please.

They actually stopped letting people fish around the plant because of the leaking water, so I don't think they are selling contaminated fish. Regardless, slightly contaminated water isn't going to affect the entire ocean around a country the size of California.

There also has been an unstoppable ploom of radiation being released into the jetstream since day one, and circling the globe. It's also getting worse every day since nothing has been done to contain it. Over the long run, this incident has the potential of making Chernobyl look like a fart. Cancer rates are going to rise all over the place.

Unstoppable plume of radiation? The explosion at the plant was from hydrogen gas build up. It was nothing like Chernobyl, where the reactor exploded and shot fuel all over the place. This comment is seriously tin-foil hat worthy.

This will explain the 'danger' of the water leakage for you. Read up... :read:

Finally found an informative article that addresses the radioactive water leakage.

True facts about Ocean Radiation and the Fukushima Disaster | Deep Sea News

My future Father in Law works for the Nuclear Energy Institute, specifically on disaster prevention, and I brought up all this recent crap with him last week. He said it's all fear mongering by the media, plain and simple. People get way more hits on their web page if they incite a panic instead of posting factual information that says there is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread